1- How come you cannot move the tags? Or at least, it is hard, if you look at picture1, if I move the above down it will make it a stack of one of the three below it!

2- Why you cannot use the same tags used in different stacks?

1.png

• Ex Employees
11 hours ago, A-dutch-Z said:

1- How come you cannot move the tags? Or at least, it is hard, if you look at picture1, if I move the above down it will make it a stack of one of the three below it!

Notes, notebooks, and tags are all sorted alphabetically in the left panel. This can not be altered. When you move a tag on top of another tag you're creating a set of parent/child tags. 

11 hours ago, A-dutch-Z said:

While tags can be grouped into a "stack" Parent/Child set, each tag is considered individual. The same tag cannot be listed twice under two different parent tags. This is by design. To have the tag appear in another stack, you would need to create a new tag.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Austin G said:

To have the tag appear in another stack, you would need to create a new tag.  

with a different name, just to be doubly clear.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, A-dutch-Z said:

First, for sake of clarity in communications, it is probably best NOT to use the term "stacks" in reference to Tags.  "Stacks" are a collection of Notebooks, in Evernote.

Tags can have hierarchies, and we refer to the different levels as "Parent" tag and "Child" tag.  Of course, just like in real life, "Child" tags can also be "Parent" tags.

As mentioned above, you cannot have a Child tag with the same name under two different Parent tags.  So each Tag name MUST be unique, regardless of its Parent tag.

So, how do we achieve using effectively the same tag name with different Parent tags?

• Clearly, each tag must have a unique name
  • One approach is to have either a prefix or suffix for the root tag name.
  • Both have their benefits, and it just depends on how you intend to use these "common" tags.
  • Let's take "Insurance" for example.
    • You can have insurance for many different things:  Home/House, Car, Boat, Personal, etc
    • It might be useful to find all notes that are about insurance
    • So, you could create an insurance tag under each Parent (Home, Car, etc), by using a suffix:
      • Insurance.h    <=== for Home Insurance
      • Insurance.c    <=== for Car Insurance
      • Insurance.b    <=== for Boat Insurance
      • etc
    • I am using a simple suffix of one character which is meaningful to me.  Choose whatever suffix makes sense to you.
  • This will allow you to do a search like this to list ALL Notes about insurance
    tag:insurance.*
  • OTOH, you can click on the "Home" tag, and it will include Notes with the "Insurance.h" tag (if you have set "include child tags" in Options)
    • And, you can see the "Insurance.h" tag in the tag hierarchy in the left sidebar.

I hope this helps.  Please feel free to ask any questions.

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

• Let's take "Insurance" for example.
    • You can have insurance for many different things:  Home/House, Car, Boat, Personal, etc
    • It might be useful to find all notes that are about insurance
    • So, you could create an insurance tag under each Parent (Home, Car, etc), by using a suffix:
      • Insurance.h    <=== for Home Insurance
      • Insurance.c    <=== for Car Insurance
      • Insurance.b    <=== for Boat Insurance
      • etc
    • I am using a simple suffix of one character which is meaningful to me.  Choose whatever suffix makes sense to you

When do you decide tags are independent entities, instead of hierarchies

Using your insurance example, couldn't separate tags be used; like Insurance, Home, Car

Also, does this scale for the future when you will have different cars and homes, maybe at the same time

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

When do you decide tags are independent entities, instead of hierarchies.

When I do NOT want the tag to be part of a logical hierarchy, like "Home".

If I just used a top-level tag called "Insurance", then, I would NOT see:

• Insurance Notes when I just search/filter on "Home"
  • A insurance child tag of "Home".  So when I expand my "Home" tag hierarchy, I have not idea whether or not I have any insurance related notes.

I have "independent" tags for stuff like "!Fav", "Follow-up", Years ("2015", "2016") etc that I use to cut across my logical tags like "Home", "Car", etc.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, A-dutch-Z said:

I could see a problem when you want to add the tag to a note.  If you have the same tag in multiple hierarchies, which one is being assigned?

If a note has a tag that has duplicates, which one apples?

On 5/6/2016 at 11:02 PM, DTLow said:

I could see a problem when you want to add the tag to a note.  If you have the same tag in multiple hierarchies, which one is being assigned?

If a note has a tag that has duplicates, which one apples?

Actually, you can use the same tag name in different hierarchies.  Take a look at the attached screenshot.  I've got two tags named "evernote", one under "app" and one under "topic".  But there's no problem, because their names aren't actually "evernote" and "evernote", they're "app.evernote" and "topic.evernote", so there's no conflict.

DuplicateTagNames.png

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Rob Freundlich said:

Actually, you can use the same tag name in different hierarchies.  Take a look at the attached screenshot.  I've got two tags named "evernote", one under "app" and one under "topic".  But there's no problem, because their names aren't actually "evernote" and "evernote", they're "app.evernote" and "topic.evernote", so there's no conflict.

Some might argue that different tagnames = different tags, but beyond the semantics, you presented a good example.

It will allow you to search   tag:*evernote

Correction: as noted by @Rob Freundlich, wild cards have to be at the end,
so the search  would be 
tag:evernote* 
and the tags would have to be 
evernote.app and evernote.topic

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Rob Freundlich said:

DuplicateTagNames.png

If you have a hierarchy app and a hierarchy topic you can't put a tag evernote under both of them.  Hard to see how app.evernote, topic.evernote and evernote are all the same tag.  Looks like three different tags to me.  :)

Archived