Custom Sorting for Tickler File

I know everybody says not to set up Evernote like a physical file system. However in a tickler system there is a relationship between the notebooks and it is shown by the position in the stack (how it is sorted). I have a stack called "Tickler File" which has 31 Day notebooks and 12 Month notebooks. Currently I have to use the arcane method of prefixing the notebook names with special characters. It took me quite awhile to find a set of characters that worked both on my iPhone 6+ and my Dell laptop running Windows 8. To reset the positions in the stack I am forced to edit ALL the Day notebooks on a monthly basis and the 12 Month notebooks on a yearly basis. All because there is NO CUSTOM SORTING OPTION. When in edit mode (on IOS) you should get the standard 3 bar icon to drag and drop the notebook in its new position in the stack. How hard can that be to implement. I have been programming over 50 years - all you need is an intermediate set of pointers. SURE WOULD MAKE EVERNOTE A MORE VALUABLE APP AND WOULD INCREASE YOUR SALES. I WOULD PAY FOR PREMIUM IF YOU WOULD IMPLEMENT. Custom sorting would be nice for Shortcuts also so the user can control what is displayed in the preview window.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Since Evernote does not support this use at all I'd think you might be better off just finding another app that will.  I don't see custom sorting as any help at all in anything that I do,  and outside of your specific use case I'm not sure who else might find it useful either.  There seems little advantage in Evernote rewriting the sort in a half-dozen different OS's against the possibility of getting a few extra subscriptions...

• Level 5*
On March 10, 2016 at 11:39 PM, VegDetroit said:

I have a stack called "Tickler File" which has 31 Day notebooks and 12 Month notebooks.

Could you give more details of your workflow for this?
I understand a Tickler File, but I thought they became obsolete when we moved to digital.
This is just curiosity; I have no ideas on the sort issue.

• Level 5*

Workaround. 

Have you tried using tags?  Tags for the months of !01-Jan to !12-Dec and tags for days of _01 to _31 or the like.  Add the appropriate month and day tags to notes.  You might need some process to "close" the ticklers, a Done tag for example. Then when you do a tag:!* -tag:Done search and sort by tag you should be presented with your open ticklers sorted.  Save the search to your shortcuts bar and you are one click away from your list. 

Add a year tag for more refinement if you like, or embed with the month tag !2016.01, for example.  You could search by month and/or day to simulate your notebooks.  May be a lousy solution for you, but a thought pending any saved sort enhancements by EN.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, csihilling said:

Have you tried using tags?

If they were interested in improving their process, I'd recommend reminder dates <> calendar.

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I understand a Tickler File, but I thought they became obsolete when we moved to digital.

A digital tickler file makes absolute sense. I created a series on my blog, using a system I call "Kanban Calendar" - and at the heart of it is the tickler file concept. It can be implemented intra-note, with tags, with notebooks, using the reminders list, using Skitch markup within Evernote or 3rd-party Evernote apps, etc: 

http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/7/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-1-of-5

The whole point is that the tickler file is alive and well and makes absolute sense. It's a twist on the traditional GTD setup, but totally in line with GTD. Either way, David Allen makes the tickler file an essential part of the GTD setup. Forget about the tickler file as a physical place to store physical stuff. Think of it primarily as a systematic organizational method. Then you can integrate GTD directly with Kanban and thus eliminate the unnecessarily laborious "need" for constant list revision. Instead of pushing tasks back into backlogged lists (Kanban), one pushes them to the future (into your tickler file), and they stream towards you one day at a time. 

• Level 5*
On March 10, 2016 at 2:07 PM, Frank.dg said:

A digital tickler file makes absolute sense.
David Allen makes the tickler file an essential part of the GTD setup.

DA did mention a tickler file in presenting a methodology that was device agnostic.
Likewise, if I was presenting an addition methodology that was electronic-device agnostic, I might mention an abacus.
Adding computing and Evernote, I can not see how it makes sense, but I will check out your blog and maybe learn something.

The Wikipedia says

Essentially, a tickler file provides a way to send a reminder to oneself in the future—"tickling" one's memory.

44 minutes ago, DTLow said:

DA was presenting a methodology that was device agnostic

Now I'm positive that you have only a partial understanding of the purpose of a tickler file. Does digital do away with systematic organization? Digital allows for tagging, quick search, etc... but one still has to categorize systematically in some shape or form. 

54 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Forget about the tickler file as a physical place to store physical stuff. Think of it primarily as a systematic organizational method.

Remember that the concept of a tickler file also extends to items/ tasks that one wants to schedule for a certain day, but does not want to set a specific time for - and so do not belong on a calendar. Digital means that you can incorporate your tickler file with your to-do lists. Or from another perspective, your tickler file material goes into your to-do lists, set up by date. Many people have made the ticker file digital and swear by it. 

If you're going to convince myself and the OP (at the very least) that the concept of a digital tickler file is obsolete, you have your work cut out. Take a look at my series of posts I took countless hours to put together (and linked to above). Many people use one of several manifestations thereof that I lay out and swear by it. Although my system currently plays out in another app, I would say that what I do is predominantly tickler-file based. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

If they were interested in improving their process, I'd recommend reminder dates <> calendar.

One way to get tasks done, but you can't really simulate the tickler process with reminders.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

The Wikipedia says

Essentially, a tickler file provides a way to send a reminder to oneself in the future—"tickling" one's memory.

That's quite true... however, you've reduced the rich dynamic of a tickler file to that of a simple reminder. I'm afraid a quote from Wikipedia is barely scratching the surface here and does not quite vindicate your unbelief :lol:... which leads me to believe that your knowledge of a tickler file is way less than partial. Rather, tell me something straight from your own noggin: something in line with your statement about the tickler file concept being obsolete/ device agnostic.

@DTLow, have you sat down and read the book, "Getting things done"?

1. I recommend starting at the beginning and working your way through from left to right
  2. Think about how you might extract the principles and apply them (in particular, the tickler file concept)
  3. Look at some real-life examples of how others do it

Googling "the tickler file" and reading about it at length (and then doing some head scratching) are two different kettles of fish. A starting point might be the blog posts I referenced. Do your homework and then we'll chat some more. It seems you've got this oversimplified idea of what a tickler file is. And while you're at it, perhaps a little creativity and imagination might be in order here ;) 

2 hours ago, csihilling said:

you can't really simulate the tickler process with reminders

I know what you mean here cal :-)

... but using Evernote's Reminder list was quite a stimulating incarnation of sorts of the tickler file concepts: 

http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/16/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-2-of-5

Got 2 videos there to illustrate the dynamics.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, VegDetroit said:

I know everybody says not to set up Evernote like a physical file system. 

This discussion has strayed from the sort issue, and I wanted to let you know you should do what you're comfortable with, and not be concerned with what is said.
We are now discussing alternative processes, and they might be better for some people, but not for everyone. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

have you sat down and read the book, "Getting things done"?

1. I recommend starting at the beginning and working your way through from left to right
  2. Think about how you might extract the principles and apply them (in particular, the tickler file concept)
  3. Look at some real-life examples of how others do it

Yes I have read GTD, also the TSW videos;
they have both influenced my workflow.

I was using a tickler file system long before GTD, but gave it up when I went digital.
For a while I was using the digital equivalent of 43 folders. My current process is to use Evernote reminders, and the calendar app.

I am looking at real life examples, including your blog and I asked @VegDetroit to share details from their workflow.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, csihilling said:

you can't really simulate the tickler process with reminders.

>>I know what you mean here cal :-) @Frank.DG

Can you provide more details on this?
What is missing?

My objective is not to "simulate the tickler process";
I just want to be reminded when a note is due.

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This discussion has strayed from the sort issue, and I wanted to let you know you should do what you're comfortable with.  We are now discussing alternative processes, and they might be better for some people, but not for everyone. 

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I understand a Tickler File, but I thought they became obsolete when we moved to digital

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I have no ideas on the sort issue.

@DTLow, I might add that discussing the tickler file in general here could in fact be helpful: First one needs to know that they're not wasting their time setting up and sorting something you call obsolete. Second, the motherlode of articles I referenced, which took me upwards of 150 hours to put together, do in fact deal with ordering/ sorting a tickler file in Evernote. Take your pick from at least 7+ wildly different incarnations thereof.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

I might add that discussing the tickler file in general here could in fact be helpful: 

I think so too.
I'm busy reading the posts here and your blog, and I'm interested in the workflow ideas from actual users.  
This was something I was thought was obsolete, but I'm always open to hearing alternate ideas.

I'd prefer the discussion be without personal attacks.
You have seen fit to pepper the posts with comments like

• Now I'm positive that you have only a partial understanding of the purpose of a tickler file.
  • leads me to believe that your knowledge of a tickler file is way less than partial.
  • It seems you've got this oversimplified idea of what a tickler file is.

I would like to deal with the facts and will start a message listing pros and cons.

• Level 5*

Summary: Discussion of Evernote Reminders and Tickler Files

Objective: To file notes and retrieve then when due

Definition: Tickler File

• tickler file or 43 Folders System is a collection of date-labeled file foldersorganized in a way that allows time-sensitive documents to be filed according to the future date on which each document needs action. ...Essentially, a tickler file provides a way to send a reminder to oneself in the future—"tickling" one's memory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tickler_file

Pro points of using Reminders vs Tickler File in Evernote

1. Simple set up; you click on reminder and add a date
  2. Simple set up to create a calendar<>reminder link
  3. With no action required, you receive an email list of notes on the specified date
  4. Easy to see your upcoming notes; calendar or search function

Con points of using Reminders vs Tickler File in Evernote

1. <to be added>

Pro points of using Tickler File vs Reminder in Evernote

1. This mimics the physical tickler file and could be the process people are comfortable with

Con points of using Tickler File vs Reminder in Evernote

1. <to be added>
12 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'd prefer the discussion be without personal attacks.
You have seen fit to pepper the posts with comments like

• Now I'm positive that you have only a partial understanding of the purpose of a tickler file.
  • leads me to believe that your knowledge of a tickler file is way less than partial.
  • It seems you've got this oversimplified idea of what a tickler file is.

My apologies for a very ugly and personal attack. When you put it like that, I can see the struggle is real.

I chuckle at the thought of an uncouth neighbor who one fine day uncontrollably shouts out from across the hedge, "Hey you!... Your knowledge about the tickler file is way less than partial!!!". 

We shall have to coin the term, "Diplomatic defamation of productivity character."

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

tickler file or 43 Folders System is a collection of date-labeled file foldersorganized in a way that allows time-sensitive documents to be filed according to the future date on which each document needs action. ...Essentially, a tickler file provides a way to send a reminder to oneself in the future—"tickling" one's memory

16 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

Digital means that you can incorporate your tickler file with your to-do lists.

That's why I maintain that you're oversimplifying the tickler file here. Ordinarily, to-do lists do not go into a tickler file... but going digital broadens things. If you do put your to-do's therein, you have the tickler file concept working for not only reference documents like bills to pay, etc. You revamp your entire way of looking at task management. In fact, the way many people are using what bears a resemblance to the tickler file has very little to do with reminders and tickling your memory. If you'd breezed over anything at all I've written on the topic, that would have all at once been apparent. Making a list of pros and cons re: Evernote reminders VS the tickler file is nice... but it's way too narrow for how people are adapting the tickler file to encompass more than categorizing coupons and bills to pay by date. You're making a list based on what you understand the tickler file dynamic to be. 

Primarily, the way I've set up "Kanban Calendar" in numerous apps (Kanban + tickler-file-esque principles) allows one to visualize one's workflow. You've got to understand how the most basic of personal Personal Kanban principles interplay with a date specific (non-time-specific) calendar or sorts. If not, we're on 2 different wavelengths here. Thus the references to external articles.

BTW, the Wikipedia entry is not entirely correct to say that a tickler file deals with "time-sensitive" documents. It would be more accurate to say, "date-sensitive"/ "date-specific" documents (or in the broader sense, tasks as well). Time sensitive data can get slotted into a calendar event, complete with links to Evernote, if you will. David Allen harps on how the Calendar is sacred... to avoid scheduling something only to reschedule it (because we can't always anticipate how things might shape up on a specific day), those documents might go into a tickler file for reference (and, of course, to be brought to one's attention on the right date).

The part I've been trying to draw attention to is the fact that a digital ticker file goes beyond the definition/ dynamic of a physical tickler file, enabling us to slot in date-sensitive tasks as well - not just scanned paperwork/ docs. I've mentioned it multiple times here... but it seems to have been overlooked. 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

The part I've been trying to draw attention to is the fact that a digital ticker file goes beyond the definition/ dynamic of a physical tickler file, enabling us to slot in date-sensitive tasks as well - not just scanned paperwork/ docs. I've mentioned it multiple times here... but it seems to have been overlooked. 

My feeling is that to-do's and task management is a different discussion.
This discussion started with the tickler file and 43 folders.

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My feeling is that to-do's and task management is a different discussion.
This discussion started with the tickler file and 43 folders.

Once again, @DTLow, many, many people are using the Tickler File to manage tasks. Plain and simple. You're basically telling the OP that he's barking up the wrong tree because the tickler file is obsolete and device agnostic, without understanding how he uses it. There is merit to what I've laid out. You'll need to look into it. 

What's more... the articles I referenced go a long way in helping people to sort their tickler "folders" if by tickler file they do not mean to include general tasks in the mix. 

• Level 5*
On March 11, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Frank.dg said:

You're basically telling the OP that he's barking up the wrong tree because the tickler file is obsolete and device agnostic, without understanding how he uses it.

No, I'm not telling the OP anything.  
My exact words were:
"Could you give more details of your workflow for this?
I understand a Tickler File, but I thought they became obsolete when we moved to digital."

5 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

What's more... the articles I referenced go a long way in helping people to sort their tickler "folders" if by tickler file they do not mean to include general tasks in the mix. 

Here's an article on the tickler file in Evernote which is not mine. Very nicely done:

http://www.sohotechtraining.com/creating-a-tickler-file-with-evernote/

Deb Lee starts off by saying:

"A tickler file can come in very handy and help you get stuff done. Since small business owners tend to manage a wide variety of tasks, having a system that “tickles” your memory is pretty important."

There are many more articles on the www about how people are using digital tickler files these days. 

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

I know what you mean here cal :-)

... but using Evernote's Reminder list was quite a stimulating incarnation of sorts of the tickler file concepts: 

http://www.productivitymashup.com/blog/2014/10/16/kanban-calendar-evernote-series-2-of-5

Got 2 videos there to illustrate the dynamics.

I'm thinking old school here, a flexible folder with 31 sections, hence my workaround way up the thread.  ;)

Not arguing the benefits of either tickler file or Reminder list, just saying if want to replicate the below.....  Not saying I would do it, but if that's how one wants to work, cool.

tickler-file.jpg.cfc71b2580206c00d626e59

I have my workflow system in a mind map on my iphone. Have not figured out how to post from my iPhone to the forum. Hate that Apple does not let you have direct access to the devices file system. The only easy files to get access to are photos. Will post once I figure out how. 

Not familiar with the abbreviation OP. Please excuse my ignorance. Normal convention and courtesy is to define all abbreviations on first use. I put the definition in parentheses after first use. Making assumptions in any context makes an Ass-U-Me. ?

Jerry - VegDetroit

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, VegDetroit said:

Not familiar with the abbreviation OP.

I understood OP to refer to the Original Poster who started the discussion.

44 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Would screen shots work?

Duh! I've used this method before but somehow I was thinking of something with more image.thumb.png.f2e2f929999b671c27586a7dresolution. We'll here goes. My system is not written in stone. I am still torn between David Allen's notebook approach and TSW's tag approach. The attached screenshot is a single notebook approach with everything controlled by tags. If text is to small I could break the map into multiple images. 

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, VegDetroit said:

I am still torn between David Allen's notebook approach and TSW's tag approach. The attached screenshot is a single notebook approach with everything controlled by tags. If text is to small I could break the map into multiple images. 

I'm sensing that we're gone beyond the Tickler File / 43 Folder discussion, but I've been told I have a less than partial understanding of a tickler file.

The text size was ok - I could zoom in.

I noticed you used Event Noted.
I was using that service but I got frustrated by the necessity of entering the timestamp in the note title.  
I'm now using Cronofy's Calendar Connector service which uses Reminder Date and is a two way sync.

My preference is also for tags instead of notebooks.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, VegDetroit said:

The attached screenshot is a single notebook approach with everything controlled by tags

Screenshot was perfectly fine.  My ability to reconcile the original post with the screen shot, not so fine.  Is there a particular part of the diagram that is causing you issues re sorting?

• Level 5*
On 3/10/2016 at 1:39 AM, VegDetroit said:

To reset the positions in the stack I am forced to edit ALL the Day notebooks on a monthly basis and the 12 Month notebooks on a yearly basis. All because there is NO CUSTOM SORTING OPTION.
. . .
SURE WOULD MAKE EVERNOTE A MORE VALUABLE APP AND WOULD INCREASE YOUR SALES. I WOULD PAY FOR PREMIUM IF YOU WOULD IMPLEMENT.
. . .
Custom sorting would be nice for Shortcuts also so the user can control what is displayed in the preview window.

Nice discussion guys, but it seems to have wandered well off of what the OP (Original Poster) is asking for:  Need to have custom sort order of Notebooks within Stacks.

Having said that, I can see that perhaps you are proposing alternative methods of organization for the OP, since Evernote does not support any user selected order of Notebooks, much less a custom, manual sort order.

@VegDetroit, I have no idea of how many other Evernote users would find this sorting feature useful, but I don't remember seeing anyone else request it.  You could do a forum search and/or Google search to see if you can find other requests.

IAC, it is not likely, IMO, that Evernote will provide this feature (but not one knows for sure) in the near future since they have publically stated that they are returning to their core product and mission.  So, until/IF Evernote provides the feature you requested, you may want to consider:

• Finding some workaround.
    • Frankly, I don't know of any that doesn't require a major change in your organizational approach
  • Change your organizational approach
    • I can appreciate this is not desired, and is probably a lot of work
    • But if method A is not working, then you may have to try method B, C, D, . . . until you find one that does.
    • Tags have a lot more flexibility than Notebooks, but they also do NOT support custom, manual ordering
  • Live with the limitations of your current approach
    • Sounds like it is a PITA, but only on a monthly and yearly basis
    • If everything else about your approach is working well for you, then maybe this is your best solution
  • Change to another PIM (Personal Information Manager) / Note-taking App
    • Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for "Tickler File" apps
    • But if it is task and/or project management that you need, then 

You may want to consider tools like IQTell, which does a great job of:

• Tight integration with Evernote 
      • Project/Task/Action management
      • Integrating your calendar and email with the above

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Level 5*
On March 10, 2016 at 11:39 PM, VegDetroit said:

In a tickler system there is a relationship between the notebooks and it is shown by the position in the stack (how it is sorted). I have a stack called "Tickler File" which has 31 Day notebooks and 12 Month notebooks. Currently I have to use the arcane method of prefixing the notebook names with special characters.

It was never clear why the OP had this sorting issue.

Just guessing on the problem, I see three solutions

1. Prefix the title with the numeric equivalent; as in 07 July instead of July
  2. Use two digits for the date and month; as in 01 January instead of 1 January
  3. To bring a specific day/month to the forefront - create shortcut links
  • 3 weeks later...

I have given up in trying to sort the notebooks in my tickler stack to implement the revolving feature of a tickler file. Besides the leading special characters sort differently between iOS and Windows. 

So I have ended up with two sets of notebooks in my tickler stack with the following naming conventions - D01 thru D31 for the Day set and M01 January thru M12 December for the month set. Adding the month name may be redundant but I do not claim to be the smartest chimp on the planet. 

Per someone's suggestion I can use the shortcut feature to daily process the appropriate notebook and then change the shortcut to the next day. So much easier to move the pointer than messing around renaming ALL the notebooks. The shortcut becomes the visual reminder of the last time the tickler file was updated. Same goes for the month notebooks I only have to do one shortcut change at the EOM (End of Month).

Someone also suggested I look into the IQTel app. I have done so and have started to use it for my GTD processing. Super tight integration - the best I have seen yet. Love their email macros for automatic GTD integration. 

As the OP on this topic I want to thank everyone who participated especially those who had positive suggestions. My hat is off to the person who made the IQTel suggestion. Without your suggestion I may have never stumbled upon this app on my own. The most dangerous thing in life is not knowing what you don't know. 

I was not able to answer everybody's specific questions. You guys deluged my mailbox. Thanks again and as the OP I am calling this topic closed. 

Jerry - jerry.schneble.me

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, VegDetroit said:

My hat is off to the person who made the IQTel suggestion. Without your suggestion I may have never stumbled upon this app on my own. The most dangerous thing in life is not knowing what you don't know

You're welcome!  I'm very glad IQTell worked out for you.  I also think it is great app.  Since it tightly integrates with Evernote, the combo of IQTell and Evernote is awesome!

On 3/12/2016 at 2:26 PM, csihilling said:

Not arguing the benefits of either tickler file or Reminder list, just saying if want to replicate the below.....  Not saying I would do it, but if that's how one wants to work, cool.

tickler-file.jpg

Cal... at face value... no... but I'm not sure whether you've taken the time to understand what I've been proposing. I use a tickler file EVERY day. Every day of my life... just not the way you and @DTLow have been shaking your heads at :P

I've written enough about it on my blog to fill a book (I call it Kanban Calendar)... Many others have blogged about the benefits of a digital tickler file. The dynamics of a modern-day digital tickler file have morphed... it makes a lot of sense and it lends itself to lean practice. But not what you have in mind. We're literally on 2 different wavelengths here. 

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, Frank.dg said:

Cal... at face value... no... but I'm not sure whether you've taken the time to understand what I've been proposing. I use a tickler file EVERY day. Every day of my life... just not the way you and @DTLow have been shaking your heads at :P

My perspective is this discussion is on sorting for a digital tickler file.

You seem to understand this to be a discussion of task management and GTD. I was reluctant to go there.

40 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My perspective is this discussion is on sorting for a digital tickler file.

You seem to understand this to be a discussion of task management and GTD. I was reluctant to go there.

Ironic thing is that the discussion went that way before I chipped in... there was more dissuasion than proactivity in light of the OP.

Having said that... if you or anyone in this forum had followed just one itsy bitsy link of several I had posted... the sorting part would have been dealt with. However, as is often the case, many forum goers neither have the interest to explore beyond what they know nor  the patience to understand a variation of perspective. 

I can safely say at this point that I understand fully where you're coming from... but it's not reciprocal. 

How about that?

45 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You seem to understand this to be a discussion of task management and GTD.

Incorrect. Totally. 

One needs to re-rail a derailed train to get to the intended destination. If the ticker file is brushed off... what does sorting matter? Sorting was at the heart of what I was trying to re-rail. ;)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Frank.dg said:

I may not be getting it, but I think I do.  You have a system of notebooks and notes with reminders that you can drag and drop at will amongst the notebooks.  Don't quite get the Today stack in addition to the day stack...  The day stack to me would be the equivalent of the tickle file per the OP.  Am I close, if not please enlighten?

In any case, as personal preferences go, you know I don't care much for notebooks  so I would go with tags, if I were to ever create a month/day ticker file.  !M01 to !M12 and !D01 to !D31 or the like.  Add the appropriate month and day tag to each tickler note, add a couple of  dynamic date searches using PhaseExpress and/or other EN searches to the shortcuts bar, and ad hoc searching for other things.  So a search of tag:!M01 tag:!D01 would return April Fools Day tickler items (easy enough to create in PE).  And a search of tag:!M03 tag:!D* will show me anything I left behind.  Not as cool as the drag/drop for sure and could be a royal PITA if I move ticklers around a lot.  IAC, this may just be an exercise for me since it is not likely to be deployed.  ;)

But I am simple minded and if I want a particular day of the month I just date the reminder.  I have a saved search for reminders due today.  Now if you could drag those suckers on an EN calendar when you change the date, I would be golden!   :P

Hey Cal, yep... I understand your M.O. Nice :-)

The thing about Kanban... which is a big part of what many do is one of the 2 core rules: Visualize your work in progress. It's really helpful to get a spatial sense of where thing are - just like with an actual calendar - thus I call my system "Kanban Calendar" for want of a better word. A calendar of sorts (or tickler file if you will ) for date sensitive but non-time specific stuff. Another big part of Kanban is "limiting one's work in progress"... so being able to drag and drop (push and pull) is useful.

The "Today" section is not essential. It's simply to prioritize one's tasks for today, whether it be the 1-3-5 method, Eisenhower Matrix principles, etc.

I'm not necessarily advocating stacks and notebooks. I just created that specific post for completeness' sake. I have posts employing the exact same system using tags, reminders, intra-note dynamics, the Skitch annotation tool, 3rd-party Evernote apps, etc. Not only that, one can apply the principles in just about any task management app you can imagine. Notebooks are not the key factor here. 

Since days and months are recyclable (re: tickler file dynamics) , it's not that important to have an elaborate system to sort months and years... sorting 2 months' worth of days max would suffice.

• Level 5*

Thanks Frank. 

Since we are sharing, the key to my process is the left side of my shortcut bar, below.  !1-Now is the current work using my version of TSW, !LM is for call backs, !Today is today's dated reminders, !Late is late dated reminders.  I also have a few PE hotkeys for tomorrow, next 7 days and the like.  Anyway, with four clicks I get that quick visualization that you mention, since at their focus  none of the lists tends to be long.  I keep my two clearing house notebooks in the shortcut bar as well for quicker access.  Keeping the four items on the front of the shortcut bar also ensures they show on the main page of the IOS versions of EN.  Not having the left panel open provides more real estate for the side list view and note.  You could say the downsides are adding/deleting tags with TSW, but I find the review process a different kind of visualization, and discipline.  Just not as cool as your dragging notes between notebooks in the reminders area.  FWIW.

IMO, great thing about all these different work systems is that they seem to work for their creators, after they have tailored to their liking.  A little bit of this, a little bit of that, and voila - we know where are stuff is and what we need to do.  :)

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, csihilling said:

...I keep my two clearing house notebooks in the shortcut bar as well for quicker access.  Keeping the four items on the front of the shortcut bar also ensures they show on the main page of the IOS versions of EN.  Not having the left panel open provides more real estate for the side list view and note.  You could say the downsides are adding/deleting tags with TSW, but I find the review process a different kind of visualization, and discipline.  Just not as cool as your dragging notes between notebooks in the reminders area.

On the Mac and iPad we don't have the option of the top sidebar and have to keep the left panel open;
It does allow for more detail, and I use saved searches that I can name appropriately
as in: Process-Inbox, Process-Actionables, Process-Projects, When Now, When Later etc

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 8.14.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-04-01 at 11.43.24 AM.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

On the Mac and iPad we don't have the option of the top sidebar

+1 for the dark side with Windows?  ;) 

You can't have a shortcuts bar in the IOS versions, but if you use Settings - Customize Home Screen to show reminders you will get a couple of lines worth.  That's why I keep the shortcut names as short as possible and at the front of the list so as to get the key four all on that home screen.   FWIW.

IMG_0762.PNG

Really nice @csihilling and @DTLow

Actually, I thought I had covered most dynamics for visualizing a Kanban-type visualization of stages in Evernote... I didn't quite get around to the Shortcuts list:-)

The nice thing about the Shortcuts list is that you can order things arbitrarily, independent of the note title... sort of like with the Reminders list. The shortcuts area is most likely a more superior dynamic in that your productivity stages could be a mashup of notes, notebooks, tags and saved searches, etc. 

Wouldn't it be amazing (and I've suggested this before) if we could nest shortcuts for organizational purposes? However, perhaps Evernote already considered how people might use this to "nest" notebooks visually... give them an excuse to go notebook crazy. But hey, why not? I think there's a lot of potential in the shortcuts dynamic they should explore.  

@csihilling, nice tips on iOS and Windows desktop clients. I've never really tried shortcuts in the top toolbar. Quick question: Is there a dropdown menu at the end of the shortcut list in the toolbar to see all the rest?

I'm new to the forums and relatively new to GTD. 

Maybe I'm thinking too simple, but I like things simple ;) I use a ticklers as follows:

• 1 Tickler noteboot called: Tickler. In this notebook I store my ticklers/reminders so they are out of my main ToDo notebook. I change the Created date of a tickler note to the date I want to be reminded (these can be set to future dates).
  • 1 Saved search in my shortcuts called: Tickler, which is a search: -created:day+1

This will show all Tickler notes with creation date before tomorrow; which is today and all previous.

The creation date also allows me to sort nicely by date :)

Yes, you can also use the Evernote reminders for this, but I want to use those only for tasks, so an Evernote reminder is something that needs to be done.

Archived