View all recently created or modified notes

I attempted to create a saved search that looks like this:  updated:day-7

Which should pull up all the notes I have modified or created in the last week.

The issue I have run into is that any note created with the web clipper don't have the Updated field populated so that are not returned in my search. 

I tired: updated:day-7 or created:day-7   but that returned even fewer notes.

Am I missing something or if there is some magic I need to apply?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

any: updated:day-7 created:day-7

I'll delete my previous confusing replies.

That worked. But now I am going to make it a bit more complicated. 

I am also wanting to exclude notes with certain tags. So I put it in like this 

-tag:facebook-ph -tag:facebook-eco -tag:facebook any: updated:day-7 created:day-7

Which isn't working right. It returns 4 notes instead of the 70-80 it should be showing.

The idea is that I want to see all my notes from this last week that aren't any of the social media posts I have IFTTT automatically archiving into evernote. 

Is there a way to make this work, or maybe another approach I should be taking?

Thanks for the help!

• Level 5

The ANY: command has to go first. 

The negative tags have to be at the end.

any: updated:day-7 created:day-7 -tag:facebook-ph -tag:facebook-eco -tag:facebook 

And a modified version might work.

any: updated:day-7 created:day-7 -tag:facebook*

Give it a try and let us know if it works.

any: - If this expression is found at the beginning of the search (after the "notebook", if present), then the search will return a note that matches any of the other search terms. If this is not found, then the default behavior will be used: a note must match all of the search terms. This expression cannot be negated.

The ANY: command has to go first. 

The negative tags have to be at the end.

any: updated:day-7 created:day-7 -tag:facebook-ph -tag:facebook-eco -tag:facebook 

And a modified version might work.

any: updated:day-7 created:day-7 -tag:facebook*

Give it a try and let us know if it works.

any: - If this expression is found at the beginning of the search (after the "notebook", if present), then the search will return a note that matches any of the other search terms. If this is not found, then the default behavior will be used: a note must match all of the search terms. This expression cannot be negated.

I tried that too, but then it returned every single note I have saved in evernote, all 4000+. Just for comparison a search of -tag:facebook-ph -tag:facebook-eco -tag:facebook returns around 2000 notes. So somehow the any on them both is grabbing everything, which doesn't really make since to me.

I also tried adding () to try grouping the different parts of the search but it had no affect.

• Level 5*

I don't think you can do that search in EN.  EN search enables AND which means notes that match all of the qualifications, or ANY, which means notes that match any of the qualifications.  You are attempting what is referred to as a Boolean search, ANY first and then an AND on the result.  The reason you get so many notes is that you are matching any notes that fit the time window and any notes that don't have the tags.  So basically it returns any notes in the time window plus any notes out of the time window that don't have the tags.  Hope that makes sense. 

Depending upon how many notes are in the date search a workaround is to sort the resultant list by tag to review.  Only way I know to "fix" it is to create a tag/notebook structure that facilitates your search, for example isolate your facebook notes in their own notebook.  This isn't always convenient obviously. 

IAC, Boolean search has been requested many times in the forum and doesn't appear to be on the horizon.

• Level 5*

@Jonathan.Sharp,

@csihilling is correct, your search requires support for a full boolean search, that includes "AND" and "OR" operators, which Evernote does not support.

If you'd like to add your voice to the request for boolean search,

See:  Full boolean search in Evernote​ 

This request goes back years, at least to 2012.

Here is one of those threads, which is now Archived (locked):

More complex search with AND/OR-equivalent operators 

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, cduong13 said:

One weird thing is that "Untagging a note" does not count as an update. I've just accidentally untag a note, now I don't know how to search it :(

Yes, and that's intentional, if I recall correctly, based on my memory of a forum discussion with input from Evernote staff; see 

Short form: tags are metadata, not note content, so changing tags shouldn't modify a note's updated date.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, jefito said:

Short form: tags are metadata, not note content, so changing tags shouldn't modify a note's updated date.

One view of the world.  

Title and URL do change the updated date, neither of which one needs to have a note.  And the difference is?  (rhetorical question) ;)  :P

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, csihilling said:

One view of the world.

Hey, I'm just reporting what the @Jackolicious said (or implied) in the discussion. He seemed pretty firm on that. There was no discussion about why title or URL are treated differently. FWIW, on Windows, changing a file's name doesn't change its modification date. *shrug*

When you make software, you are indeed choosing what a view of some world entails...

Archived