Where are documents (.doc .pdf) stored in Windows Evernote? Can I access them from Windows Explorer?

Hi,

To test Evernote storage of documents (.doc, .pdf) I inserted a PDF into a note. Then I searched for the file name but Windows Explorer couldn't find the file. I went to the Evernote local files folder and searched there but the file couldn't be found.

Where are documents (.doc, .pdf) stored in Windows Evernote? Can I access them from Windows Explorer?

Thanks,

Cadu

• Level 5

They are all stored inside the .EXB file

>Tools

>Options

Open Database File

The default location in Windows is usually:

C:\Users\ [user name] \AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote

Many thanks for info!

From the database, I accessed the folder Attachments (Z:\Z_Data\Evernote\Databases\Attachments). However the PDFs I am looking for aren't there. 

Should the PDF files be explicitly visible and accessible as any other Windows file through the file manager (Windows Explorer)?

Or are the PDFs wrapped into deeper Evernote proprietary file system in order I can access the PDF just through Evernote (open Evernote => find/access PDF => open PDF through my default PDF software)?

• Level 5

You are looking in the wrong subdirectory. They are not in "Z:\Z_Data\Evernote\Databases\Attachments"

The PDF's are not visible.

They are stored "inside" the large database file (that has an .EXB extension).

The .EXB file is usually found in C:\Users\ [user name] \AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote

I don't know your user name so I substituted [user name] instead.

Thanks for further information!

I am storing in Evernote .doc .pdf .xls and so on and just know I have information they are stored in a proprietary format just Evernote can handle. If you are a hard user and have thousands of files and notes, it seems you sign a contract for the rest of your life with Evernote!

a ] Considering one have thousands of files stored through thousands of Evernote. Is there any batch operation I could retrieve/extract/convert all the attachments at once from Evernote to regular Windows file/folder system? 

b ] Now I am a bit concerned if my Evernote database get corrupted and I lost everything I have. Exaggerating, let's say Evernote Corporation also close its doors and won't provide anymore cloud data and then I can't retrieve information from the server. The only thing remained from Evernote is its desktop version installation file (current release 5.8.5 - the last released by Evernote!). In order to guarantee retrieving the database, to migrate it to another computer, and so on, is it possible to do handle the process just using the local files stored in my computer and the Evernote desktop version? What should be backed up to guarantee Evernote database will never be lost and can be retrieved by the Desktop version independent of Evernote servers?

Best!

• Level 5

"a ] Considering one have thousands of files stored through thousands of Evernote. Is there any batch operation I could retrieve/extract/convert all the attachments at once from Evernote to regular Windows file/folder system?" 

Yes, use the export feature. >File >Export >HTML

"b ] Now I am a bit concerned if my Evernote database get corrupted and I lost everything I have."

You should be concerned about ALL your programs corrupting your data. The universal solution is to back up regularly.

Evernote Windows makes is very easy to back up - one file: the .EXB file.

• Level 5*

a. Highlight the notes with the attachments you want to extract, right click, click Save Attachments

b. All of the data on the server is on your PC assuming you have been syncing.  It is in the EXB file mentioned above.  And yes, you can extract all of your data, or for that matter, continue using EN even if EN closed their doors (no sync though).  You can backup the EXB file or you can export all of you your notebooks using the ENEX format.  I do both.

So you are not confused, the attachments folder you mention above is a temporary folder used by EN when you are working with an attachment in a note.  The files in that folder are supposed to be cleared by EN but aren't always.  Don't use them.  The real PDF is embedded in the EXB data file.

• 3 months later...

They are all stored inside the .EXB file

>Tools

>Options

Open Database File

The default location in Windows is usually:

C:\Users\ [user name] \AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote

I have similar question.

Thanks a lot for the answer! :)

Best regards.

fenden

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/27/2017 at 4:32 PM, bacord said:

csihilling

a. Highlight the notes with the attachments you want to extract, right click, click Save Attachments

Can you clarify where you are when you "highlight the notes"?

Select the notes you want in whatever note view you're using (e.g. snippet view, thumbnail view, list view, etc.)

Archived