Annoying behaviour of Undo (Cmd-Z) when autocorrecting

I am having an annoying 'problem' with Evernote on both my home and work Mac's, and wanted to know if this was something there was a fix for. It happens frequently enough that I thought of asking for help here.

When Evernote autocorrects something I've typed, the keystroke CMD-Z will not only undo the autocorrection, but will instead undo the last sentence or two of typing. This behaviour is not consistent with other Mac programs I used, including Textedit, Safari, or MS Word, where CMD-Z undoes the autocorrection only. It is annoying because when it tries to auto-'correct' some technical terms that I do not want fixed, I instinctively hit CMD-Z and Evernote deletes a sentence or so of text. 

To give a specific example, assume I want to type "I updated the mount points in fstab.", where autocorrect will 'correct' fstab to 'stab'. At this point, I hit CMD-Z. In Textedit/MS Word, it undoes the autocorrect, replacing stab with fstab and I move on. In Evernote, it deletes the entire sentence, and I have to type it all over again. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Sam

• Level 5*
Sounds like part of this is an over-effective auto-correct.  Evernote doesn't have that built-in,  so if you're being annoyed by autocorrect,  it's not Evernote.  Check your OS settings if necessary to turn it off.
  • Mac System Preferences > Language & Region > Keyboard Preferences... > Text > deselect Correct spelling automatically - This turns off auto-correct across your entire desktop.
  • System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text -> Use smart quotes and dashes - Make sure that checkbox is unchecked.

CMD-Z should work as you'd expect - which version of Evernote do you have and which Mac OS?

Thanks gazumped.

I am running Evernote 6.0.5 on OS 10.10.1. The problem is not an over-effective auto-correct, but an over-effective UNDO command in Evernote.

I did try what you suggest - of course turning off text correction obviates the need for me to hit CMD-Z so often but that is not a functional solution for me as I rely on auto-correct very heavily in other applications.  Unchecking smart quotes and dashes had no effect as well (although, I do thank you for pointing me to that as it solves another nagging problem I've been having over the years).

So, in short, I'm still at a loss as to why CMD-Z does more in Evernote than in other applications... and whether this is something specific to my setup.

Thanks gazumped.

I am running Evernote 6.0.5 on OS 10.10.1. The problem is not an over-effective auto-correct, but an over-effective UNDO command in Evernote.

I did try what you suggest - of course turning off text correction obviates the need for me to hit CMD-Z so often but that is not a functional solution for me as I rely on auto-correct very heavily in other applications.  Unchecking smart quotes and dashes had no effect as well (although, I do thank you for pointing me to that as it solves another nagging problem I've been having over the years).

So, in short, I'm still at a loss as to why CMD-Z does more in Evernote than in other applications... and whether this is something specific to my setup.

I have the same problem, and I agree that I should not have to disable my useful auto-correct system wide.  Evernote should be able to fix their undo command.

• Level 5*

OK one report is happenstance,  two starts to move towards something that needs fixing..  I'd suggest both you gents submit a bug report by choosing "report a bug..." in the first dropdown after logging into this link > https://evernote.com/contact/support/  Since the guys are presumably still 'fixing' 6.0.x it might get some quick attention...

• 2 months later...

Hey folks - this has been the one thing that annoys me about Evernote for ages! It's so vindicating when you do a search and you find someone else with the same problem. What ended up happening here? Does anyone know if Evernote Support was contacted? If this is something they're interested in fixing?

• 4 months later...

Evernote's support team requested a full Activity Log file from me, and then came back with this:

After discussing this issue further with the team, I can report to you that this behavior with cmd+z is to be expected. As it is, cmd+z is performing a regular undo, not undoing the last autocorrect (it will obviously remove that one as well).

At this time we will be happy to take on this issue as a feature request.

• 1 month later...

I also have the same problem and the overactive Undo is really annoying.

At least after update you can stop autocorrect with option+space, but if you do end up going with space accidentally and undo'ing, you still remove the whole sentence. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must be dense, because I can't figure out how to open a ticket.  I go through the drop down wizards - Technical issue - other - User interface issue - and it tells me:

Please submit a ticket and provide as much information as possible so we can diagnose the problem. For example:

• Steps to reproduce
  • Screen recording or screenshots
  • Device & operating system
  • Activity log

But there's no place to actually 'submit a ticket'

I'm a +1 on this over aggressive autocorrect and undo combo.    I have a fish name: knez that I want to write about.  I paste in the word 'knez' and hit space and it automatically changes it to 'knew'  I 'undo' the auto correct and it does an undo on both the autocorrect and the space.  What I've done personally is uncheck the correct spelling automatically which isn't ideal but it works.  The typos still get highlighted but I don't have to fight with words the dictionary doesn't recognize and tries to fix for me.  Having to go back and manually fixe all the 'teh' and 'THe' mistakes is toil I'd rather not do, so if we could improve this, I'd be grateful. 

uncheck.png

Have you ever tried to write a list like this with EN Mac:
(a)
(b)
(c) x

Don't or else you'll go nuts. (c) x gets converted to copyright symbol. Undo removes the symbol and the (c). Even switching "Correct Spelling Automatically" off does not help in this case. In contrast, when doing the same in OS X TextEdit, Cmd+Z reconstructs the (c)...

• 3 months later...

This bug still hasn't got fixed? :'(  It's driving me mad too...

If it's just a few tech terms, though, adding them to the dictionary should avoid your mac from trying to correct them anymore.  But if you're like this user (post), then you'd have to switch to another software I guess, until Evernote fixes this bug... *sad*

On 6/19/2016 at 5:42 PM, BSR said:

Hi Everyone, and welcome to the Forums @jacobkrich!

If any of y'all have open support tickets regarding this issue, please let me know here and I will follow up on them. Thanks!

Hi @BSR. Thanks for offering to follow up. The ticket number I received was 1217022. I doubt it's "open" any more, since I did receive an answer, which was essentially what I posted above, plus a promise that the feedback would be passed on to the development team as a feature request. That was on 3/9/15, and I've not heard anything more since then.

If you have any updates, I'd love to hear them!

Archived