Copy note link : classic link is gone?

Hi,

I use the classic note link a lot (link between applications on my Mac).

It used to be : right-click + option => see 'classic note link' in menu

the classic links start with evernote:///view/........

Now there is only the link that starts with 'https://www.evernote.com/

This means that I must be online to see the linked note !

(and I am often not online @customers site)

I used the classic links a lot.

Where can I find it??

Kind regards

Luc

Thanks for the tip guys! I was just on my way here to express concern. I link to my notes all the time for personal reference, especially in OmniFocus, and sometimes Fantastical. I am still a bit frustrated that they don't make it more accessible. If more people understood the difference, I have no doubt more would prefer the classic links, because why would I bother going into a web app when there is a perfectly good native app here, capable of opening this and not in need of connectivity at the moment? 

Really, the Copy Classic Note Link option should have its own menu item so it can be programmatically accessed (maybe it still can be, I don't know how though), in as easy a way as possible, like OS X's built-in app-specific keyboard shortcuts, or Keyboard Maestro via the Select Menu Item command. Other apps make it easy, like nvAlt and OmniFocus. These classic Evernote links work just as well on iOS, and Evernote just recently implemented a (exposed) URL scheme with x-callback-url support, so why not simply add support for creating classic note links in-app on iOS? Lack of that ability there has always frustrated me, as long as I have used Evernote. The addition of x-callback-url support was a long time coming, so hopefully such a feature makes its way to iOS soon, as well as a more accessible option (once again) on the Mac.

Hey guys – thanks for starting this string of posts… I also am a fanatical user of Evernote and create links between notes on a regular basis… Stopping off at a web browser and waiting for my notes to load before the note will open in Evernote is a royal pain in the backside (ass).  I have tried to figure out why in the world it is done that way at all… Perhaps because it is the only way to connect with notes on mobile devices? Whatever… I am more often than not looking for the "classic" link which takes me directly to the note…Thank you Extropy... Without your post, I never would have found the classic link at all.

QUESTION: Along the same lines... The keyboard shortcut: control-alt-command C... is, as far as I can tell, unpredictable. Sometimes I get the full on web link… Other times I get the classic link – which is the one I prefer. Does anyone know how to consistently get the classic link?

• 5 months later...
  • Level 5*

AFAIK The only foolproof way is to check which link you have is a visual inspection - if you paste the link and it's not a 'classic',  then re-copy and try again...

Gaz, you are confusing people with your suggestion, which is incorrect.  if you were a Mac user you would know how it works.  Must be hard to offer reliable advice when you don't even use the software or the hardware.

If you right-click on a Note, and select "Copy Note Link", then:

1. Paste into another Note, it will use the internal Classic link
  2. Paste into another app, it will use the external (http) link.

After you right-click on the Note, hold down the OPTION key, and it changes to "Copy Classic Note Link, which will copy only the Classic Link to the clipboard, and will be used when you paste anywhere, in any app.

Hey gazumped - 

I wish I could make your second suggestion work on my system… I am a MacBook Yosemite user… And I use Evernote heavily. I am able to get your first suggestion to work perfectly, and that is what I do rely on. I would like to get your second suggestion to work, however when I right click the menu that pops up does not include an option for copy link. What am I missing?

Here's a link to my screenshot.

THANKS!

Ken

• Level 5*

@kempster:

I assume you are referring to the suggestion I made, not gazumped.

From your screenshot, it looks like you may not be right-clicking on the Note in the Note List.

It looks like you may be right-clicked on the Note Body -- this will not work.

I have tested EN Mac 6.0.11 in both Mavericks and Yosemite, and it works the same -- as I described above.

Here's a screenshot:

EN-Mac-6011-Copy-Note-Link.gif

• 3 months later...

Well, I've tried this every way that's been suggested and I am now completely unable to get the old Internal-to-Evernote links that i used all the time, only a web link which is useless to me for much of the time. OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite, Evernote 6.1 :-(

The option to copy the classic note link appears just fine but when I have copied it and then paste it within Evernote it's just a web link no matter what I do.

• Level 5*

Well, I've tried this every way that's been suggested and I am now completely unable to get the old Internal-to-Evernote links that i used all the time, only a web link which is useless to me for much of the time. OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite, Evernote 6.1 :-(

The option to copy the classic note link appears just fine but when I have copied it and then paste it within Evernote it's just a web link no matter what I do.

It's working fine for me in EN Mac 6.1 on Yosemite (10.10.5).  I just tested it again.

Archived