(Archived) Access to notes offline???

I travel a bunch to places where there is no phone or internet access and I want to be able to access my notes without having to be connected. Is that even possible? Is there an ability to save my notes in cache and view and edit them and have them sync back up when I'm back connected? I could REALLY use this feature.

I was just at my cabin (No signal), and needed to open a note. WHAT THE HECK! You can't call this a SYNC program if there is NO SYNCING!!!!! Sync means that there are 2 locations where the data is stored. In the case of the Pre, it seems the notes are only stored online.

This product has some serious work to do, and you really need to watch your misleading adverting. Evernote CANNOT SYNC. How am I supposed to trust a product that won't allow me to retrieve my data when I desperately need it?

-Sam

A lost costumer.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a shock to me, too. I assumed the data was also on my Pre. But I go through periods of failure to log in for which I can see no reason except perhaps the servers are too busy, and when that happens I'm stuck.

There are going to be situations where that is a serious problem because there's crucial information I need in a hurry. The Palm Pre has plenty of space to store my notes. Please, Evernote guys - let's have a solution fast! The Pre went live in the UK last week, but it's been in the States a good while now.

Also : am I right about these log-in failures or have I another problem? The error message relates to Google.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Five months on from my previous post on this and there's still no 'mirror' application that enables notes to be stored on the Palm Pre. This is a really essential requirement and I am limping without it. I'm having to use another application to take notes most of the time which I'm subsequently pasting into Evernote, which is crazy. That application also enables category browsing. And today an important note failed to load, leaving me embarrassed and with a problem : it loads fine on my desktop, but the Pre just can't access it. If the data were stored on the Pre I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

Can anyone tell me whether Evernote are actually addressing this issue?

• Level 5

Probably no sync for Palm Pre because Palm is just about dead. Evernote should devote its effort to viable companies.

March 3, 2010: Palm is in distress. Last week its executives warned Wall Street that its revenues for both the quarter and the fiscal year would come in markedly lower than expected. The reason is simple: When folks want to buy smart phones, they're choosing models other than Palm's Pre or Pixi.

Five months on from my previous post on this and there's still no 'mirror' application that enables notes to be stored on the Palm Pre. This is a really essential requirement and I am limping without it. I'm having to use another application to take notes most of the time which I'm subsequently pasting into Evernote, which is crazy. That application also enables category browsing. And today an important note failed to load, leaving me embarrassed and with a problem : it loads fine on my desktop, but the Pre just can't access it. If the data were stored on the Pre I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

Can anyone tell me whether Evernote are actually addressing this issue?

had that same problem

well the note loaded, but it was totally blank

Probably no sync for Palm Pre because Palm is just about dead. Evernote should devote its effort to viable companies.

March 3, 2010: Palm is in distress. Last week its executives warned Wall Street that its revenues for both the quarter and the fiscal year would come in markedly lower than expected. The reason is simple: When folks want to buy smart phones, they're choosing models other than Palm's Pre or Pixi.

Why did you feel the need to post this?

Seems to me that if there are enough people FOR development to make it worthwhile, then it's worthwhile. If not, then not.

I assume that you own another device and are looking for ways to get Evernote to add more staff to the effort for YOUR device. Right? This is about YOU?

• Level 5

I posted it because my comment gives a good insight into the underlying issue.

From a business standpoint, it makes no sense to spend development time working on a dieing 3rd party product that Evernote has no control over.

Palm doesn't have the financing to effectively compete with larger companies. And Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein warned Wall Street that third-quarter revenue isn't going to hit the mark.

I assume that you own another device and are looking for ways to get Evernote to add more staff to the effort for YOUR device. Right? This is about YOU?

Why did you feel the need to post this?

If jbenson's claim about Palm is true, then IMO, it would definitely impact a third party developer's interest in doing work for that platform. If his claim isn't true, feel free to cite. I do know that the older Palm platform (Garnet) is EOL & has been for quite some time. Palm isn't doing anything with it anymore. Four years ago, you'd go to the online Palm store & be able to choose from 3-4 stand alone PDAs or a smart phone (Treo).

The Pre & Palm WebOS was supposed to be the saviour of Palm. If it's not doing well (and I don't know if it is or isn't), then it would seem Palm is pretty much at death's door.

Simply put, there are a bunch of WebOS owners out there, that have no intention of ditching their phones. And people are continuing to buy.

The question is "are there enough people with WebOS phones that further development is warranted?"

Why would anyone come here and ask Evernote NOT to develop for any platform? The only reason I can think of is that this person doesn't own a WebOS device and is upset that their platform isn't getting enough attention.

Stick to advocating for your own platform. It's not necessary to shout down the voices of those that use a different platform.

Why would anyone come here and ask Evernote NOT to develop for any platform? The only reason I can think of is that this person doesn't own a WebOS device and is upset that their platform isn't getting enough attention.

Stick to advocating for your own platform. It's not necessary to shout down the voices of those that use a different platform.

He didn't ask EN to not develop for your platform. He made a statement that can be easily proven or disproven. If his statement is correct, that can explain why EN may choose to not devote more time or energy to Palm. If you can prove his statement is incorrect, please cite.

Thanks for the feedback. We haven't abandoned all development on the WebOS, but we're juggling a lot of work at the same time, and WebOS has been a bit of a challenging platform for development, so all progress has been slow.

Thanks

He didn't ask EN to not develop for your platform. He made a statement that can be easily proven or disproven.

No? The phrase "it makes no sense to spend development time working on a dieing 3rd party product" sure sounds to me like "I don't think you should develop for this platform."

If his statement is correct, that can explain why EN may choose to not devote more time or energy to Palm. If you can prove his statement is incorrect, please cite.

I don't need to explain. Someone from Evernote has.

• Level 5

The Palm financials were released on Thursday and explain why the Pre is not a great platform to sink a lot of Evernote development time into.

In February, Palm's expectations were for for revenues to be in the range of $285 million to $310 million. The actual revenues for the quarter will be less than $150 million.

Excess inventory - there are 552,000 phones in stores that the company still needs to sell.

Our recent underperformance has been very disappointing” said Jon Rubinstein, Palm chairman and chief executive officer.

"At the end of the day, the results are still poor" said Shaw Wu, an analyst at Kaufman Bros.

Palm's stock dropped 14% on Thursday to a new 52-week low of $4.84.

Ouch!

• 5 months later...

Please add my request to updating Evernote for the Palm Pre. I specifically adopted Evernote once you added WebOS to your supported platforms, but that support is meager and lagging. I MUST be able to have my notes offline.

Now that HP is driving the WebOS infrastructure (and is hiring over 80 more engineers to work on WebOS, posted in August 2010), WebOS will continue, and I believe it will thrive.

Thanks for your assistance!

Alan

What's disturbing about Evernote's position isn't that they're not adding features, but that they're not fixing bugs on a shipping product. Announce that the webOS client is discontinued and will no longer be supported, and remove the app from the App Catalog would be fine. Keeping it as a live product but refusing to fix data-losing bugs, isn't.

Archived