Can't search OCR in EN for Windows

Hesadanza

I've run into a strange problem.  I can search my image notes in the web version of EN fine; the search picks up the OCR text in the images.  But if I try to do the exact same searches within EN for Windows, it doesn't find the OCR text.  Why doesn't EN for Windows search the OCR text?  Do I need to turn something on?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Are you a Desktop or a Touch user?  Windows desktop works fine for me on OCR'd images,  and there's no appreciable difference (AFAIK) between the web and desktop search functions,  so I'm guessing that you have an indexing problem.  The quick and dirty way to rebuild the database plus index is to rename the EXB file and allow the server to re-download its copy to your machine.  You need to beware if you have unsynced notes on the desktop,  and/or local notebooks - and be aware that this takes a while if you have a lot of notes.  If you need more information about how to do that,  please have a search around the forums - we've described the process a lot already...

• 2 weeks later...

Similar problem after an update to Windows 5.4.0.3698 GA.

​Here is the scenario I have.

On an Android phone I image a business card(or whatever), place in notebook, tag, etc. all is well OCR goes great and OCR'ed fields are searchable on Android devices(phone and tablet), browser(Chrome and FF) but ....not on Windows 7 client. I have synced, restarted etc. Title, tags, etc are searchable but on OCR'ed fields.

Going to try and reset by renaming the EXB file

I'm still having issues with it, and I have the same scenario.  I've gone through a number of steps with the Evernote Support team, including uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote, rebuilding the database, etc.  None seemed to have worked thus far.  Support says they are working on it and will get back to me.  The strange thing is that right after I rebuild the database the Windows client seems to be able to find the OCR text fields fine for a while, and then it reverts to no search results.  So something strange is going on.

To confirm. I rebuild the local DB and was able to query on the indexed OCR terms for a short while and then nothing. Trying to recreate the event that makes the index go away.

As a note all this appears to have begun after the update to Windows 5.4.0.3698 GA several days ago. Not sure exactly when.

All other OCR indexes before this update are fine.

Cheers, Steve

• Level 5*

To confirm. I rebuild the local DB and was able to query on the indexed OCR terms for a short while and then nothing. Trying to recreate the event that makes the index go away.

As a note all this appears to have begun after the update to Windows 5.4.0.3698 GA several days ago. Not sure exactly when.

All other OCR indexes before this update are fine.

Cheers, Steve

What comments from Support?

Similar problem after an update to Windows 5.4.0.3698 GA.

​Here is the scenario I have.

On an Android phone I image a business card(or whatever), place in notebook, tag, etc. all is well OCR goes great and OCR'ed fields are searchable on Android devices(phone and tablet), browser(Chrome and FF) but ....not on Windows 7 client. I have synced, restarted etc. Title, tags, etc are searchable but on OCR'ed fields.

Going to try and reset by renaming the EXB file

Hi Steve,

Can you tell me the support ticket number that you received? I would like to follow up with this.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same problem. OCR works fine on images when I use the web application, but not the desktop version (Windows 7). The tech support person suggested I optimize my database using the debug menu, but that did not solve the problem.

• Level 5*

I've had the same problem. OCR works fine on images when I use the web application, but not the desktop version (Windows 7). The tech support person suggested I optimize my database using the debug menu, but that did not solve the problem.

Have you also done the uninstall / reinstall / rename database dance as outlined above?  Don't let the support team close the ticket - do tell them you still have problems..

After going through about four different people in Tech Support, over several weeks, this is what finally seems to have fixed it for me (from Tech Support):

I'd like to try something that may seem odd, but it might help to rebuild your local database.

I'd like you to first downgrade back to Evernote v4.6.7. Please downlaod and install the following version:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s90/sh/e14cfa17-86bb-463d-977b-a0dec0a9ee4c/a1ff251e34bf24f36b0b9db30367eb46

Let this do a full sync.

Then install this pre-release version:

http://cdn1.evernote.com/win5/prerelease/Evernote_5.4.1.3741.exe

What I am trying to do is to re-initiate a database index. The version updating from the older version 4 to the version 5 should regen that database.

Have you also done the uninstall / reinstall / rename database dance as outlined above?  Don't let the support team close the ticket - do tell them you still have problems..

No I haven't yet, but I will try either that or the downgrade/upgrade to pre-release solution described above. I'm still in touch with tech support.

No I haven't yet, but I will try either that or the downgrade/upgrade to pre-release solution described above. I'm still in touch with tech support.

Would you be able to try following the steps outlined in the following thread discussion link and seeing if it helps?: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60827-evernote-for-windows-541-beta-2/?p=282382

I tried upgrading to the latest pre-release version, at the suggestion of the tech support person who has been handling my ticket. That didn't work. What did work was the solution that Hesadanza mentioned upthread: downgrading to 4.6.7, then upgrading to pre-release version 5.4.1.3741.

I don't know why that pre-release version works, but it seems to. This does make me reluctant to upgrade to later versions until I'm sure that Evernote has found and corrected the bug.

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem.  Images and PDFs are searchable using the Web version.  But just not working on the Windows version.  Spending so much time with the support over weeks that I decided to give up troubleshooting with them.

Really frustrating.  Now I just use the Web version.  But might try to downgrade to 4.6.7.

• 1 month later...

I am having this problem too and I think I have managed to isolate exactly when it is happening. It seems to happen when the EN server syncs an unindexed note to the windows client. When this is subsequently indexed it does not resync the note containing the OCR data, even if you manually hit the resync button on the windows client. These are the possible workarounds you could try - they all work for me:

1. Add pictures you wish to OCR to the windows client directly.

2. When adding documents to EN which require OCR (e.g from your phone) make sure the windows client is not open and don't open it until OCR has taken place.

3. If you need to force EN Windows to get the OCR data for a particular note change some *text* on the web version of the note (e.g the title) and resync. Changing text on the windows version doesn't work although you can change the *image* on the windows version and resync.

As an interesting aside, if you use the ENML Editor (http://enml-editor.ping13.net/) and once you have loaded your note you press "click for debug view" you get a pictorial representation of the enml file with all the highlights on the OCR'd  image, a list of the words which it will search for etc. I know you can get this info by opening the enml file in a text editor but it's much easier to understand and pictorial in the debug view.

• 3 weeks later...

Would you be able to try following the steps outlined in the following thread discussion link and seeing if it helps?: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60827-evernote-for-windows-541-beta-2/?p=282382

I tried upgrading to the latest pre-release version, at the suggestion of the tech support person who has been handling my ticket. That didn't work. What did work was the solution that Hesadanza mentioned upthread: downgrading to 4.6.7, then upgrading to pre-release version 5.4.1.3741.

I don't know why that pre-release version works, but it seems to. This does make me reluctant to upgrade to later versions until I'm sure that Evernote has found and corrected the bug.

Same problem here. The 4.6.7 version appears to work upgrading to 5.4.1.3741 or current versions (including 5.6.3.272531 beta version) cause the problem to re-appear.

It's unfortunate because I was rather getting into putting everything into Evernote and ready to upgrade to Premium but have put those plans on hold for now especially since this appears to have been going on for quite some time. Web version and iOS version do not seem to have the problem only Windows version. Unfortunately using the web version for work isn't nearly as useful as the Windows native version.

• 2 weeks later...

I have confirmed that with the latest version 5.6.4.4632 and as a Premium user this is still a problem. After installing 5.6.4.4632 searching for text inside images returns fewer and fewer notes as time goes on.

Come on guys this syncing is CORE functionality and based on comments on these forums EN has known about this particular problem and been able to reproduce it since April!

I have confirmed that with the latest version 5.6.4.4632 and as a Premium user this is still a problem. After installing 5.6.4.4632 searching for text inside images returns fewer and fewer notes as time goes on.

Come on guys this syncing is CORE functionality and based on comments on these forums EN has known about this particular problem and been able to reproduce it since April!

Interesting, I tried running "Fix All Notes" in the debug menu and the OCR indexes appear to get repaired. So it's a work-around anyway, better than deleting and re-downloading the database constantly.

Interesting, I tried running "Fix All Notes" in the debug menu and the OCR indexes appear to get repaired. So it's a work-around anyway, better than deleting and re-downloading the database constantly.

I do not have "Fix all notes" in my debug menu. Also running 5.6.4.4632. I have other options but not fix all notes. Running debug by "evernote /debugmenu" from the start menu.

I do not have "Fix all notes" in my debug menu. Also running 5.6.4.4632. I have other options but not fix all notes. Running debug by "evernote /debugmenu" from the start menu.

Hold down "Ctrl" and click "Help"

Hold down "Ctrl" and click "Help"

Thankyou. Can't find any unindexed attachments now so maybe that is at least a workaround.

Interesting, I tried running "Fix All Notes" in the debug menu and the OCR indexes appear to get repaired. So it's a work-around anyway, better than deleting and re-downloading the database constantly.  <Press ctrl and click on Help> Run "Fix All Notes>

So glad I stumbled upon this forum. I've been having the same search problems within the EN for Windows application for months now. Only today did I realize that my searches actually worked on the web version and were only problematic on the Windows client. Discovering this led me here, and to the suggestion above. Finally, after dealing with no OCR searches for months I can finally find my notes again.

I hope this is fixed someday. I'm just glad we have a workaround at the moment.

Running v5.6.4.4632  

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived