Evernote for Windows 5.4.1 Beta 2

Justin Street

Hello!

It's time for a new Beta. 

The improvements include:

• Request read/write notebook access - allows you to request write access to read-only notes in shared notebooks
  • Shortcuts Toolbar - You can show your shortcuts in a horizontal toolbar above your note lists. Enable in View > > Shortcuts >> Show in Top Bar
  • First launch experience
  • YinXiang support for ScanSnap
  • Various bug fixes
Please try it out and let us know what you think, we'd love to get feedback!

You can opt into beta's by going to Tools >> Options and checking [ ] Update to pre-release version when available

You can also download directly here: http://cdn1.evernote..._5.4.1.3874.exe

Thanks!

Shortcuts Toolbar - You can show your shortcuts in a horizontal toolbar above your note lists. Enable in View > > Shortcuts >> Show in Top Bar

Sold!   :D

Now I am back to working how I used to in v4

When the shortcuts are shown in the top bar, the hotkeys for them don't seem to work for me (Ctrl + 1-10)

Hello!

It's time for a new Beta. 

The improvements include:

• Request read/write notebook access - allows you to request write access to read-only notes in shared notebooks
  • Shortcuts Toolbar - You can show your shortcuts in a horizontal toolbar above your note lists. Enable in View > > Shortcuts >> Show in Top Bar
  • First launch experience
  • YinXiang support for ScanSnap
  • Various bug fixes
Please try it out and let us know what you think, we'd love to get feedback!

You can opt into beta's by going to Tools >> Options and checking [ ] Update to pre-release version when available

You can also download directly here: http://cdn1.evernote..._5.4.1.3874.exe

Thanks!

Hello!

This is great idea to bring Shortcuts Toolbar back ! Unfortunately (like in v.4) it doesn't work for me, when I click the shortcut it refers me to different note than expected. If I switch to Left Panel it works fine. I'm on Win8

• Level 5*

It is great that this is back, but I am seeing some strange behavior as well.  I have both saved searches and pinned notes in shortcuts.  Some work and some do not.  I cannot find any discernible pattern.  If I switch back to vertical mode, they all work correctly. 

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the update.  Do the various big fixes include resolutions to the tagging bugs and freezing bugs that we have been recently discussing?

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/59606-problem-in-losing-tags-in-windows-54-version/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/59474-evernote-momentarily-freezes-while-working-on-it-giving-no-feedback/

This Beta does not include fixes for the topics you mentioned but we are actively working on them. We will release a fix for those as soon as we can. 

It is great that this is back, but I am seeing some strange behavior as well.  I have both saved searches and pinned notes in shortcuts.  Some work and some do not.  I cannot find any discernible pattern.  If I switch back to vertical mode, they all work correctly. 

Glad you like the feature! It is in Beta so bugs and strange behavior are possible and we're looking into it. If you are able to detect any sort of pattern, please let us know. 

• Level 5*

This version seems very slow to capture the title from clipped notes (Clearly/Win-A). Seems I have to click on the title and press F2 to get it to transfer or maybe press F2 then click on the title. Not quite sure of the best way to do it. Nothing shows up in the log file, so that would not help. Never had a problem before today - I know have well over 10,000 notes.

Hello!

This is great idea to bring Shortcuts Toolbar back ! Unfortunately (like in v.4) it doesn't work for me, when I click the shortcut it refers me to different note than expected. If I switch to Left Panel it works fine. I'm on Win8

What kind of shortcuts do you have (notes, notebooks, stacks, saved searches)? Do they all refer to the same wrong note or to different random notes?

Hello!

What kind of shortcuts do you have (notes, notebooks, stacks, saved searches)? Do they all refer to the same wrong note or to different random notes?

I have notes, notebooks and tags. They refer to different (random) notes. When I click on the notebook shortcut then it refers me to the tag which is random (I didn't select it as shortcut), whilst some shortcuts don't bring any actions ie. nothing happens when I click them. 3 shortcuts are working properly. I have 26 shortcuts, some refer to local notebooks, some to online, but there is no pattern here, both refer to wrong random places. When I shift to left panel everything works fine.

• Level 5*

Shortcuts Toolbar - You can show your shortcuts in a horizontal toolbar above your note lists. Enable in View > > Shortcuts >> Show in Top Bar

Sold!   :D

Now I am back to working how I used to in v4

When the shortcuts are shown in the top bar, the hotkeys for them don't seem to work for me (Ctrl + 1-10)

Finally!!!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

• Level 5*

I have an active ticket on this, but wanted to bring it up here - ticket 551486

The conflict resolution enhancements introduced recently are causing me no end of conflicts and just deleting tags/notebook assignments. I can work exclusively on my PC (I have an iPhone and iPad too, but when this happens, I am NOT using them) and assign tags to a note and file it in a notebook (all my notes go to my @Inbox notebook) first and one of three things can happen:

1. It works correctly. This is about 85-90% of the time
  2. Evernote erases my tags and moves the note back to @Inbox (5%-10% of the time)
  3. Evernote duplicates the note, throws my edits in the "Conflict" notebook and puts a tagless copy of the note in the @Inbox notebook

I suspect the background sync of iOS is causing this, but I am not sure. I always have the latest betas on those as well.

This needs to be fixed. This only started about a month or so ago when the new conflict resolution enhancement was introduced.

See the following threads on this: I am not alone here.

• Level 5*

Absolutly great! I missed it since version 4 - now I have the shortcuts again in POV. Little thing - but very usefull - thank you!

This is insanely useful. Now shortcuts are visible 100% of the time and never scroll out of view, like, you know, shortcuts.

• Level 5*

I can confirm some issues with shortcuts not working correctly if it is across the top.

I have 11 shortcuts in this order:

• 2 notes
  • 2 notebooks
  • 5 saved searches
  • 2 notes

They all work fine when on the left pane. Across the top this is what happens:

• 2 notes - work fine
  • 2 notebooks - work fine
  • 5 saved searches - only the first 4 work. The 5th does nothing when you click it.
  • 2 notes - the first takes me to another note totally unrelated from 2 years ago. It consistently does this. I assure you the notes are unrelated, have no links to each other, aren't a copy of each other, etc. THe one it takes me to was a web clipping. The one it should take me to is a text note entered from scratch within Evernote. The second note works fine

So, shortcuts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 work fine. 9 appears dead, 10 goes to the wrong note, 11 works fine.

Switching to the left pane fixes it. Switching back to the top causes the above to happen again. Very consistent.

• Level 5*

Yep, funkiness exists with the horizontal toolbar.  In the testing I've done I can find no pattern to the behavior.  It is good to see this come back and hopefully the next beta will get it right.

• Level 5*

I've been crashing a lot on this version, especially when deleting notes. Evernote will just poof, sometimes up to 4 times in a row. There's also a graphical error (which has existed for quite a while but hasn't resolved since the new New Note appearance) where there's a bit of white overlapping the note boundary: 

5uUJyNPnCZ-2000x2000.png

Windows 7 Professional SP 1 64-bit

Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

16 GB RAM 

• Level 5*

I have an active ticket on this, but wanted to bring it up here - ticket 551486

The conflict resolution enhancements introduced recently are causing me no end of conflicts and just deleting tags/notebook assignments. I can work exclusively on my PC (I have an iPhone and iPad too, but when this happens, I am NOT using them) and assign tags to a note and file it in a notebook (all my notes go to my @Inbox notebook) first and one of three things can happen:

1. It works correctly. This is about 85-90% of the time
  2. Evernote erases my tags and moves the note back to @Inbox (5%-10% of the time)
  3. Evernote duplicates the note, throws my edits in the "Conflict" notebook and puts a tagless copy of the note in the @Inbox notebook

I suspect the background sync of iOS is causing this, but I am not sure. I always have the latest betas on those as well.

This needs to be fixed. This only started about a month or so ago when the new conflict resolution enhancement was introduced.

See the following threads on this: I am not alone here.

I am having similar issues.  EdH, do your duplicated notes all have reminders in them?  I only noticed this recently in my reminders area.  Same note content, same create and change dates, but different reminder date/time.  At first I thought I may have accidentally duped a scan or something, but then the problem repeated itself multiple times.  

Archived