(Archived) Some PDF's not displaying

kmf

Hi there,

I have a very weird bug,

I have a loads of notes with pdf attachments, however Evernote is not displaying the PDF, however I can right click on the note and save the attachment,

if status bar also displays that there is a PDF,

does it have something to do with the view ... that 'n note with a body does not display attachments?

(I have enabled to PDF's to display as attachments )

Is there a way of showing all attachments in the "Show Note Info" view

Karl

• Level 5

Are you running the latest release version of the Evernote client (4.5.7)? You can check in the Help -> About dialog box. If you're not on the latest, please upgrade via Help -> Check for Updates. If you still experience the problem, contact me via PM and I may need to take a look at one of the PDFs if you're able to share it. Due to the various ways in which PDFs are authored, we sometimes encounter types that our thirdparty library has trouble rendering.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem....How was it resolved? This is a pretty major problem for me.

Could you give a little more detail about your problem? Yours might be different

• 1 month later...

I am having this same problem, which started at some point when an upgrade was installed. As kmf described, the file will attach to the note and then it will give me to option to download the attachment but it doesn't show up in the body of the message like it used to. On mine, a thumbnail of the first page will show up in the note list on snippet view.

I did some further testing, and discovered that if I create a note and immediately attach a PDF without clicking away from the note, the attachment will show up just fine in the note body. However if I click away from the note, or the note was created on another device and synced to my PC, when I open up that note and add an attachment it won't show up.

I am running Windows XP Pro 32-bit, and Evernote version 4.5.10.7472. I have attached a couple of files that I used to test with in case that helps.

image (5).pdf

1863204.pdf

I am having this same problem, which started at some point when an upgrade was installed. As kmf described, the file will attach to the note and then it will give me to option to download the attachment but it doesn't show up in the body of the message like it used to. On mine, a thumbnail of the first page will show up in the note list on snippet view.

I did some further testing, and discovered that if I create a note and immediately attach a PDF without clicking away from the note, the attachment will show up just fine in the note body. However if I click away from the note, or the note was created on another device and synced to my PC, when I open up that note and add an attachment it won't show up.

I am running Windows XP Pro 32-bit, and Evernote version 4.5.10.7472. I have attached a couple of files that I used to test with in case that helps.

Thanks for posting. Been looking in to it and hopefully will be posting about a fix soon

Count me in to this issue as well.

I export notes from Livescribe which works great. I have attachments that I then scan in using my ScanSnap S1500 to attach to those notes. Some of them attach properly and some of them don't. It does this even though they are all scanned in using the same settings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Add me to the damn list. More than 6 months and NO FIX?? Status bar says I have 2 attachments but only one displays. No thumbnail or anything for the other one. Created the Note Sept of 2012, added 1 PDF. Today I tried atleast 5 times to add another PDF to the note, supposedly it attached, but wont show.

FIX THIS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Have any of you opened a support request for this issue? Since this is not a constant problem, the more examples that the developers get, the better, most likely.

I've been having this problem for a few months now and it just became annoying enough to search for solutions. Have you guys/gals found another forum topic that posted a fix?

I believe that my issue is solved now. It may have been solved with the latest update, but I can't say for sure that it is because of the update or something else. But it seems to work now. Hope the same for you too ASAP.

I've just started using Evernote. I am also having this problem.

I used the Android Evernote app. I forwarded an email which had a PDF attachment to my Evernote address. Then I thought why forward the email, I only need the PDF (my mobile bill) so I opened the PDF and there is an option to send the file. So I sent it to Evernote (create new note). 

When I opened up Evernote on my Phone, the email note was there, and i could also open the PDF attachment. The PDF note was also there and it opened. 

However when logging on to Evernote on my Windpows Laptop, I have the same problem as other users, the PDF doesnt show. In thumbnail view it clearly shows there is a PDF file, but I can not open it,

Thank god it shows on my phone !

SatG

Just as a disclaimer, I am new to Evernote and my knowledge is very limited and based from an older YouTube video (Nov 23, 2011) on how to view .pdfs within Evernotes.  The choices demonstrated in the YouTube video are either to show the .pdf as an attachment or to show the contents of the .pdf in an open format within Evernotes.  Currently I cannot open any of my stored .pdf files in my Evernote account (free verision).  Instead Adobe is launched before I can view or my .pdf files that OR my .pdf  is automatically downloaded to my brower's (chrome) download folder.  In the YouTube the name given to show .pdf contents is referred to as "View Inline" for MAC or "View" for PC.  The video also demonstrates the alternate views of .pdf can be changed by right clicking.  The right clicking, for some reason, for this particular verison of Evernotes seems to be revoked?

The You Tube video providing this demo: 

In closing my goal is to be able to have my.pdf in "view" mode, to see contents, without having to leave Evernotes.

Thank you very much. 

I'm seeing the same issue of not being able to view PDFs attached to some notes. Most of my notes work OK, and I can view the attached PDF with the built-in viewer or I can check "Always show PDF documents as attachments" and see it in the note that way.

Some of my notes do not show the attachments as an icon in the note or as an inline PDF document. For example, one note shows on the status bar:

None of those attachments show up as icons within the note, and the PDF attachments do not show up as icons or inline (i.e., doesn't matter what "Always show PDF documents as attachments" is set to). If I right-click the note and do Save Attachments then I can save them locally and view them. Just can't get at them directly from the Evernote UI. 

This is all with Evernote 4.6.4.8136 on a Windows 8 Enterprise edition PC.

On my ThunderBolt phone running Android 4.0.4 and Evernote 4.5.6.2, I can see the note is there, but there is no indication that it has attachments, but since I know they are there the Save Attachments does work on this device. But I have to know they are there first.

On my Lenovo ThinkPad tablet, running Android 4.0.3 and Evernote 4.5.6.2, it much like on the phone, but at least the listing for the notebook which contains this note has a "9" beside it to indicate that it has attachments. There is another note in this same notebook that has 5 images attached and they appear inline just fine with that note.

I am a Premium user of Evernote. Is there a bug reporting system I should put this in?

The best option is to create a support ticket. More people complaining and submitting details is the only way this is going to be bumped up in the list of bugs to squash. You'll be asked to try to duplicate the problem then provide the support folks with the Evernote activity log. I've done this twice, as well as included a detailed step-by-step process for one method to reliably duplicate the problem. That was a number of months ago.

Here is one set of steps to duplicate the "invisible attachment" bug in the Windows client:

1. Create a new note.
  2. Assign any tag to that note.
  3. Attach a file.

If the status bar is visible you'll see there is an attachment but it will not be visible in any Evernote client. (Mobile, Web, or desktop.) If you add the attachment before tagging the note the attachment is visible as you'd expect. It gets so frustrating because if I then need to add or update an attachment on an existing note, more often than not, the attachment becomes invisible. It's still there, and if you right-click the note and select Save Attachments, all the attachments are saved. I've duplicated this on multiple computers, running multiple OSes, with different versions of Office installed, and even on a totally new OS install with nothing but the Evernote client added.

I really am trying to be patient, though I know it doesn't sound that way. I know the devs have other issues to work on, but the problem with attachments -- it's not just PDFs -- is incredibly frustrating and makes using Evernote quite infuriating when working with note attachments. Many times I've had to recreate a note, copy the content of the original note into the new one, attach my file(s), then tag the note. And I know the next update will require me to do the same thing all over again. I find it difficult to believe that this isn't a major issue for many users and it's a pretty major bug in a core feature of the Evernote service.

Update:

Yesterday I found a resolve by someone outside of EVERNOTES and I want to share with you:

Quick background: RE: The YouTube video I found yesterday ( an excellent video on processing .pdfs within EVERNOTES) that showed functionality not found in my version of EVERNOTES which had me confused. So I emailed the producer of the video.  And just by chance he mentioned to me to launch EVERNOTES from the windows start button, programs, etc (and not from the icon found on chrome's task bar).  When I took this approach, windows gave me an older version of EVERNOTES - 4.6.3.8096 (268604) Public.

And it is with this older version of EVERNOTES, that I now have access to FULLY MANAGE .pdfs within EVERNOTES. ( have done two further manipulations to create flow)

Next I emailed the support desk of EVERNOTES and told them 1) their advice to me was incomplete regarding EVERNOTES 2) I also told them that I am willing to upgrade to the PREMIUM service of EVERNOTES only if they can reassure me I can retain the older version of EVERNOTES otherwise the PREMIUM service with its expanded storage but no .pdf management is of little use.

As of today, EVERNOTES has not given a response.

Hope this is helpful.

Best

Gee

• Level 5*

Quick background: RE: The YouTube video I found yesterday ( an excellent video on processing .pdfs within EVERNOTES) that showed functionality not found in my version of EVERNOTES which had me confused. So I emailed the producer of the video.  And just by chance he mentioned to me to launch EVERNOTES from the windows start button, programs, etc (and not from the icon found on chrome's task bar).  When I took this approach, windows gave me an older version of EVERNOTES - 4.6.3.8096 (268604) Public.

* The video that you reference is showing the Mac Evernote client.

* The version that you launch from the Chrome browser is the Web Evernote client. This application runs in your browser.

* The 4.6.3.8096 version is a very recent, but not the latest version of the Windows Evernote client. This application is a native Windows program.

Note that the Evernote Web client and the Evernote Windows client are different, and treat PDFs differently. The Windows client is *not* an older version of Evernote, it is a completely different version that the one you were evidently using. At it manages PDFs much like the Mac client (which you see in the video).

Next I emailed the support desk of EVERNOTES and told them 1) their advice to me was incomplete regarding EVERNOTES 2) I also told them that I am willing to upgrade to the PREMIUM service of EVERNOTES only if they can reassure me I can retain the older version of EVERNOTES otherwise the PREMIUM service with its expanded storage but no .pdf management is of little use.

You can use theWindows client and the Web client on the same machine, no problem. I do it all the time.

As of today, EVERNOTES has not given a response.

Support generally works normal U.S. West Coast business hours, I believe. Support is prioritized to premium customers first, and free users second. I think that I just saw that average response time for free users is usually in the realm of 24-48 hours. Please be patient.

Here is what I found.

When I use the downloaded Evernote Windows client or app or whatever it is, It is showing any notes I have scanned on my phone and saved as a note (for example a scan of a letter, taken with the CamScanner app which converted it into a PDF).

However PDFs that were sent to me by email (for example a bank statement) which I opened and then shared/saved as a note, do not display, or I amunable to open.

However, when I logged in using the web version - Evernote,com, top right corner, sign in - then that very same PDF showed in the note content as a link I can click on to download/open the PDF.

At least there is a way ! 

Thanks Jeff For responding to my post.

My previous post was really to illustrate there was another more efficient way to handle .pdfs within EVERNOTES despite the fact no one from the EVERNOTES ticket centre has been able to give me a clear answer. The first reply from EVERNOTES ticket centre apologized to say this functionality is not available. And a second reply from EVERNOTES ticket centre retracted the first reply and i am still waiting for an answer.

And the ticket has been open for over 8 days now.

So while the YOU TUBE video may have been done from a Mac, this point is really moot since the producer was able to give me the know how for my PC that WORKED ! This guy knows his stuff and communicates well.

I just wished there was more clarity to the various formats EVERNOTES has to offer. And if an explanation of their differences in performances and functionality had been communicated more openly, it would have saved me and others from so much confusion and loss of confidence.

Luckily for me the YOU TUBE video I mentioned in an earlier post gave me hope there was a better way. Reassurance EVERNOTES ticket centre was not able to do.

Lastly is it possible for me to upgrade to the premium using version 4.6.3.8096?

Or is the premium version only offered in the very latest EVERNOTES that is web based?

Thanks.

Gee

Hi Jeff,

Just rechecked my email in box and here is my answer from the EVERNOTES ticket centre. It says it all.

The producer for the YOU TUBE video using a MAC machines knows more about the PC environment, is able to give me a straight answer and the EVERNOTES ticket centre can only give me a canned response. Such a let down.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for providing this feedback on Evernote.

We really appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback. Your comments and suggestions will help us to enhance Evernote and serve you better.

We will be sure to pass on the information you've provided to the product development team for discussion.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Evernote Support

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here since many months.

Every month I get my mobile phone bill as an email with attached pdf-file. When I am using the evernote outlook add-on there is no pdf-preview in evernote. When I am forwarding the mail to my evernote account the pdf-preview is there.

But the problem is only with this mail - every month. With other mails with attached pdfs there is no problem.

Archived