(Archived) REQUEST: Rename attachments

I'm not familiar with the Doxie or the software it uses. It sounds like you've got the scanning software set up to go directly to EN so the software assigns a unique name.

If it's important for you to have control over the attachment name, you should scan to your hard drive & give the file the name of your choice. Then drop it into Evernote. I do this all the time & it works fine. IMO, the only reason it's important to control the file name is if you're going to remove it from EN to share with someone else. But even then, IMO, it's NBD to select the name of your choice when doing the "save as."

• 3 months later...
But even then, IMO, it's NBD to select the name of your choice when doing the "save as."

Maybe, but this is not pratical if you have a lot of files to export. Changing the attachment's name inside EN, should be implemented.

+ 1

I scan many documents using my Lexmark 805 right from the scanner. It's not even hooked up to a computer. And yes, the printer assigns the PDF a filename (and it's not random. It's like SCAN001.PDF 002 etc).

This kinda sucks because now I have more than a hundred PDF's called SCAN001.

Changing the filename in EN would be much appreciated.

• Level 5
+ 1

I scan many documents using my Lexmark 805 right from the scanner. It's not even hooked up to a computer. And yes, the printer assigns the PDF a filename (and it's not random. It's like SCAN001.PDF 002 etc).

This kinda sucks because now I have more than a hundred PDF's called SCAN001.

Changing the filename in EN would be much appreciated.

Sounds like a scanner issue, not an Evernote issue.

When my scanned documents are sent to Evernote from my scanner, they have the date code including down to the second. This prevents duplicate file names. Evernote gives me the chance to rename the file, so I add a description in front of the date code.

• Level 5*

My scanner also names files by the date/time the scan is created, and I have the option to edit or change the name before uploading. I was paranoid about naming and tagging files correctly so I could find the content again, but have gradually relaxed as I realised that as long as the contents are indexed, the actual content of the file is the best naming/ indexing tool there is.

Even if you do need to rename/ tag stuff manually however, going through the content of your file on a desktop client at least is pretty painless and you can mass-tag / sort / rename the content.

If you do have to do so, try creating a new default notebook to receive your scans called "new" or "inbox" and move notes from there into your normal storage once they're correctly named and tagged.

Or get a new scanner

• 1 month later...

I also require the feature to rename note attachments.

The sharing of my notebook doesn't work correctly (EN knows about this issue, which is that the tag list doesn't show up in the shared notebook on the web client, but has not fixed it in months). Therefore, I need to export file attachments according to tags into a folder structure in dropbox in order to share them correctly.

Where can the renaming feature be requested?!

• Level 5*

Evernote employees read pretty much every post on here - even if they don't reply to every thread.

I'm sure that this request has been read and added to a list, and so there is no need to post it anywhere else.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love the way I can get scanned doc into Evernote hassle free with ScanSnap without even looking at the computer screen. When I drag PDFs to a Email I would love to be able to change the file name but can't this sucks. I have been looking at a work-around today. I come up with this. Right click PDF "save as" into Evernote import folder, PDF auotomaticaly comes back onto Evernote with new name, then drag to Email.

I love the way I can get scanned doc into Evernote hassle free with ScanSnap without even looking at the computer screen. When I drag PDFs to a Email I would love to be able to change the file name but can't this sucks. I have been looking at a work-around today. I come up with this. Right click PDF "save as" into Evernote import folder, PDF auotomaticaly comes back onto Evernote with new name, then drag to Email.

That could eat up your monthly quota quickly. That can be avoided by setting up a separate import folder to save to which imports to a local unsynchronized notebook.

Tools -> Import Folders...

• 3 weeks later...

Please implement this feature. I know I could take more time and spend more effort doing a two step import process from my scanner to a folder and then rename and then move the file into evernote but I don't like this workflow and don't want to have the extra steps involved.

Please enable us to simply rename the documents that we have loaded into notes in Evernote.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2 months later...

I am thrilled to report that this feature has been added in the latest release of Evernote :) (4.5.5.6796). Thank you Evernote, the fact that the community can speak and you listen says a lot about a company. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am thrilled to report that this feature has been added in the latest release of Evernote :) (4.5.5.6796). Thank you Evernote, the fact that the community can speak and you listen says a lot about a company. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I use the Doxie scanner too and this is a very helpful additional feature. It works perfectly...

• 11 months later...

I like the new feature, but their is a snag. The PDF attachment cannot be viewed inline to rename it. I like viewing all of my pdf attachments inline by default so I can actually see the contents. So, if I want to rename an attachment, I have to first view it as an attachment, rename it, then select to view it inline.

Extra steps are a pain in a but when this is something you do frequently. These are 3 steps to do 1 task. Make it like renaming images possibly?

Anybody else have this problem?

LL

I like the new feature, but their is a snag. The PDF attachment cannot be viewed inline to rename it. I like viewing all of my pdf attachments inline by default so I can actually see the contents. So, if I want to rename an attachment, I have to first view it as an attachment, rename it, then select to view it inline.

Looks like you can right-click inside the embedded PDF viewer and Rename from the menu.

Looks like you can right-click inside the embedded PDF viewer and Rename from the menu.

I'm not seeing that option. Using Evernote for Mac 5.07. I can rename the pdf when it is viewed as an attachment, but NOT when it is viewed inline.

Am I doing something wrong?

Archived