Is Evernote having some issues right now? 10/8/2024

Just now, Jon/t said:

I've just tested the web on Edge and Vivaldi and all working OK here on two PCs.

Anything odd in the developer console?

I take it you've tried in a new profile and private window?

I've tried on different devices. Private windows, 3 separate ISPs. I've also tried my work account which works normally in a private window when my personal account will get a 503 or error I'll show below. It comes and goes every few hours. They are just ignoring me. It is 100% my shard having an issue. I've been able to occasionally get an activity log loaded with errors that I've sent them with no luck.

image.png.6cbea55cda44115af60b48d72e6444f7.png

image.thumb.png.fd8ee1c39b9e4d819b889fbc7311f1cc.png

I see the second page a fair bit but its usually when my Vivaldi workspace opens with the EN tab already there, I just refresh and it works.

Give me the ticket number again, the one with the most info.

Just now, Jon/t said:

I see the second page a fair bit but its usually when my Vivaldi workspace opens with the EN tab already there, I just refresh and it works.

Give me the ticket number again, the one with the most info.

Thanks! It's Ticket# 4016018. I kept it all in one place. I just added some screenshots to it to hopefully help more. I have activity logs from desktop and web. I also am having issues with attachments on mobile too.

Just now, Jon/t said:

Done. Let me know if you hear anything. The chances are it will just start working. 

Thanks hopefully I will! The thing is it does start working, then a few hours later it'll break again... so I never know if it's fixed or just temporary.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Finally got a meaningful response from support. I've also found that every day after 4:30 PM EST the issue goes away until the next day. Super weird. Regardless I dumped a ton of log files on them. Now I wait.

image.png.d3de25f98a784d2955bec3f69f55b3e4.png

Man, thanks for staying on top of them. My EN woes continue. Opens in Firefox but not in any of the Chrome based browsers. Just all around weird.

Just now, bmcl26 said:

Just managed to sign into Evernote Web with Brave Browser as well, it was not working last night

Same here. I expected it wouldn't be fixed until Brave updated, but I've had no updates from them all day. Same with Chromium, which was also not opening Evernote. It's a weird one, all right.

• Like 2

I really hope some poor guy in Italy has been working all day on this and is finally going to bed at 2 AM after staying up for hours on end drinking espresso and eating cannoli's. I truly hope that is what happened and tomorrow I'll wake up and Evernote will work normally and I can stop thinking about giving up and trying Obsidian.  

21 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I really hope some poor guy in Italy has been working all day on this and is finally going to bed at 2 AM after staying up for hours on end drinking espresso and eating cannoli's. I truly hope that is what happened and tomorrow I'll wake up and Evernote will work normally and I can stop thinking about giving up and trying Obsidian.  

Ditto. Here's to our friend in Milan. And, Obsidian, is it? I have a list of Evernote alternatives, but my top choices appear to be Notesnook and Upnote. I'm always THIS close to switching over when Evernote comes in and fixes things. I'd prefer not to make a big move, but it feels inevitable at times.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oh, c‘mon. This is worse than Shakespeare.

To Upnote or to Notesnook“ is „To be or not to be“ on steroids.

Know what: If you have such a hard time to take a decision, flip a coin. Or leave the stage in silence … grand exit, standing ovations, curtain !

And over …

Just now, PinkElephant said:

Oh, c‘mon. This is worse than Shakespeare.

To Upnote or to Notesnook“ is „To be or not to be“ on steroids.

Know what: If you have such a hard time to take a decision, flip a coin. Or leave the stage in silence …

No need to get so upset. We were both having major issues accessing Evernote for the last several days. I'd hate to switch to something else, but if they don't fully resolve this I have no choice but to.

Nobody is upset (at least not me). I just make some fun about these deep thinking posts, carrying heavy thoughts about their own indecisiveness, never coming to a conclusion.

What a show !

It was nothing to make fun of... no one is switching as far as I know. I think we are both rightfully frustrated by paying for a service and having intermittent access to our data for days. Don't make fun of that.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

No need to get so upset. We were both having major issues accessing Evernote for the last several days. I'd hate to switch to something else, but if they don't fully resolve this I have no choice but to.

Yep. My thing is, I have really basic needs. I use Evernote for text notes only. No PDFs, no markup, no fancy stuff at all. The program has a ton of capabilities I'll just never use. It's always been my most invaluable program of them all, though. It's kind of replaced my physical memory, which isn't good, probably, but it sure is handy.

1 minute ago, LaFlamme said:

Yep. My thing is, I have really basic needs. I use Evernote for text notes only. No PDFs, no markup, no fancy stuff at all. The program has a ton of capabilities I'll just never use. It's always been my most invaluable program of them all, though. It's kind of replaced my physical memory, which isn't good, probably, but it sure is handy.

Yeah, Obsidian would be a lot better for your needs... especially on Linux. I attach a lot PDFs and other random files. I also make use of a lot of the formatting, OCR, sharing etc. Tasks are a big deal for me too and I don't want to give up having it all in one place. I'm generally happy with Evernote. Obviously it's concerning when you are relying on a cloud service and said cloud service is clearly having an outage that no one else is reporting and support doesn't want to acknowledge.

10 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Yeah, Obsidian would be a lot better for your needs... especially on Linux. I attach a lot PDFs and other random files. I also make use of a lot of the formatting, OCR, sharing etc. Tasks are a big deal for me too and I don't want to give up having it all in one place. I'm generally happy with Evernote. Obviously it's concerning when you are relying on a cloud service and said cloud service is clearly having an outage that no one else is reporting and support doesn't want to acknowledge.

Okay, that's helpful. I know I have Obsidian on the list of alternatives, but don't remember a thing about it. But yeah, I'd prefer to not have to change at all. Evernote is great. Just wish they'd kept the Linux desktop app because that was really working out great for me.

10 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Oh and @LaFlamme you said it started working for you at 6:40... that was about an hour after I sent them a dump of logs from the webapp. I wonder if someone looked at them and actually saw the problem.

If so, it'd be cool if they revealed what the problem was just so we can have... I dunno, closure.

Friday night, close to midnight in Italy ?

Pretty unlikely.

I'm not convinced every employee is located in Italy. I had someone respond to my ticket at 4:30 PM EST which is 10:30 PM in Italy who was not one of the regular support people, possibly was an engineer. The normal support agents have perfect grammar and spelling etc, and this message was more hastily written. I have a feeling some of their team is remote and possibly located in different timezones.

9 minutes ago, LaFlamme said:

If so, it'd be cool if they revealed what the problem was just so we can have... I dunno, closure.

I mean they will never tell us. But I observed in my case the problem would resolve every day at 4:30 PM. So I'm guessing some job is or something was running server side that was causing some sort of overload or increased latency and it would stop at that time. Why else would it self resolve every day at the same time and then resume the following day. It had to be something on a schedule that got out of control.

@mackid1993 This is very strange; Brave Worked last night but broken this morning.   Google Chrome is working fine.  I very rarely use the Web App (Mainly Windows Desktop & Mobile), but tried testing when I saw you and others having issues.

Now really strange I was getting to grips with the updated mobile means of sharing links and clicking on a link sent in Messenger to a Colleague the linked message opened in Brave perfectly (Brave is my Default Browser.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

@mackid1993 This is very strange; Brave Worked last night but broken this morning.   Google Chrome is working fine.  I very rarely use the Web App (Mainly Windows Desktop & Mobile), but tried testing when I saw you and others having issues.

Now really strange I was getting to grips with the updated mobile means of sharing links and clicking on a link sent in Messenger to a Colleague the linked message opened in Brave perfectly (Brave is my Default Browser.

Super weird, Vivaldi works normally today. The desktop app is finally loading my PDFs and other files quickly like it should. I don't normally use Brave but I just installed it and Evernote also loaded normally for me.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Artistic said:

Last update wrecked Evernote on PC.  Taking forever to navigate and load a single note.  This better get fixed soon.  Can't work like this!

That's a different issue all together. Make sure you install 10.110.5, likely have to download manually.

15 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

That's a different issue all together. Make sure you install 10.110.5, likely have to download manually.

Fixed! Thanks!  I wish they would have pushed that update out.  Probably a lot of other frustrated people out there waiting for it!

Just now, Artistic said:

Fixed! Thanks!  I wish they would have pushed that update out.  Probably a lot of other frustrated people out there waiting for it!

No problem, there was some confusion as the server side issue was compounded by this client bug so support thought they fixed it when in reality I was experiencing a totally different problem which is hopefully resolved now. I'm still going to give it a few days before I call it solved since it would come and go.

2 minutes ago, LaFlamme said:

For what it's worth, EN opened smoothly in Brave today. Web version was updated, I assume.  Guess we'll all meet again for the next problem. 

I'm still holding my breath until Monday to call it solved. If I can wake up Monday morning and open: https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action on my phone we're good.

9 minutes ago, LaFlamme said:

Synchronize watches... Monday it is. 

Well for me it would break from when I woke up in the morning (at least) until 4:30 PM EST every day. I have no idea if it's something that would run during the week that would break it or if that was a coincidence.

As of Sunday morning October 13, my Evernote on my Macbook Air will not open. I am able to do my work with the web app. There must be a problem with the Mac app. Prior to this, I could not drag and drop anything to folders.

1 hour ago, JREwing said:

As of Sunday morning October 13, my Evernote on my Macbook Air will not open. I am able to do my work with the web app. There must be a problem with the Mac app. Prior to this, I could not drag and drop anything to folders.

This is a different issue than what this thread is about. 

7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I don’t see a reply, just a blank box.

It's in the image. He first asked what version I'm running. I then explained the issue in detail and he's going to have the team look into it. I followed up with some more info later on and he liked those tweets (which you can't see because Space Karen) but I know he saw them. Now absolutely nothing web based is loading. Not https://www.evernote.com/client/web or https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action which is new... so I wonder if something is working on it. @Jon/t said he also heard on Friday that a dev was going to contact me, which I guess that's why someone named Carl reached out.

Just now, s2sailor said:

Weird - I see the image now, but didn’t earlier when I posted.  It was just an empty box.  I hope this gets resolved for you.

I hope so too. Intermittent access to Evernote isn't good... and it's even more frustrating that it's only affecting me so people immediately assume it's something that I'm doing. I think sharing the screen recording of me opening a private window, loading my work account right away, then closing it and opening and new one and having my personal account error out after 3 minutes of loading helped finally.

5 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Welp... it usually starts working around now and it's not all of the sudden. No word on my ticket or X. It's still super broken, I have no idea what to do. It's super stressful when it's only me having the problem.

Man, you're getting the extra treatment, looks like. Mine's been working flawlessly for two days now. Hope you can get it sorted.

• Like 1
Just now, LaFlamme said:

Man, you're getting the extra treatment, looks like. Mine's been working flawlessly for two days now. Hope you can get it sorted.

I hope... I haven't heard anything since this morning. Hopefully I hear something from them tomorrow. I never know if it's fixed or not since it'll suddenly work and then break again. Just around 5:10 it started loading again so maybe they did something, maybe it'll be borked again in the morning. I'll giving them until the end of the week to resolve this otherwise I really won't have a choice but to find some other solution, whether that is Obsidian and then something separate for tasks or something else.

I may have to start looking for alternatives really... this is still just broken. No reply on my ticket since Friday at all. Never heard back from Federico. @Jon/t did you happen to hear anything in the experts community where you reported this? I feel like they aren't trying or at least communicating. I really may have to consider exporting and moving to something else if they can't at least just let me know what's going on. This is a serious issue and a little communication is all I ask.

3 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I may have to start looking for alternatives really... this is still just broken. No reply on my ticket since Friday at all. Never heard back from Federico. @Jon/t did you happen to hear anything in the experts community where you reported this? I feel like they aren't trying or at least communicating. I really may have to consider exporting and moving to something else if they can't at least just let me know what's going on. This is a serious issue and a little communication is all I ask.

I've not. The last message was that they would contact you via the support system.

10.111.2 came out today so I'm not sure if that a makes a difference on PC/Mac.

1 minute ago, Jon/t said:

I've not. The last message was that they would contact you via the support system.

10.111.2 came out today so I'm not sure if that a makes a difference on PC/Mac.

I wish it did... unfortunately it doesn't.

This follows their typical MO and timeline, doesn't it? Communication is at a snail's pace when it isn't nonexistent, and forum members frequently caution that replies are unlikely to be forthcoming, with things either eventually fixed or not. The fact you've had as much follow-up as you have makes it something of an outlier case. Us serfs couldn't expect any special treatment like that. Seems like a user posted recently that they had paid for a sub but were still waiting for a reply from support, more than a week later, to find out when their account access would switch from free to paid so they could use the service. Three business days would be a truly extraordinary response time for the current EN crew.

Edited by thefryhole
Fat fingers
1 hour ago, thefryhole said:

This follows their typical MO and timeline, doesn't it? Communication is at a snail's pace when it isn't nonexistent, and forum members frequently caution that replies are unlikely to be forthcoming, with things either eventually fixed or not. The fact you've had as much follow-up as you have makes it something of an outlier case. Us serfs couldn't expect any special treatment like that. Seems like a user posted recently that they had paid for a sub but were still waiting for a reply from support, more than a week later, to find out when their account access would switch from free to paid so they could use the service. Three business days would be a truly extraordinary response time for the current EN crew.

I'm going to give them a couple of more days to do right by me. For all I know this isn't a simple fix, I've heard they they are aware of the big disconnect between devs and support. I know for a fact the devs are aware of my case. All I can do is wait for a solution. It was nice of @Federico Simionato to answer me on X for sure.

• Level 5

If 2 departments on a business critical process disconnect, it’s the job of management to bring them back together.

And to give them the right incentives: If you encourage the devs for a metric like „Lines of NEW code delivered“ and the support team for „tickets closed within 24 hrs“, the result would be EXACTLY WHAT WE CURRENTLY SEE.

Serious bugs in core functions going unfixed, and a support the relies on an AI gatekeeper to fend off 90% of all tickets by cheap canned responses.

To me the support team still looks pretty overwhelmed from the little that sips through.

• Like 2

If 2 departments on a business critical process disconnect, it’s the job of management to bring them back together.

And to give them the right incentives: If you encourage the devs for a metric like „Lines of NEW code delivered“ and the support team for „tickets closed within 24 hrs“, the result would be EXACTLY WHAT WE CURRENTLY SEE.

Serious bugs in core functions going unfixed, and a support the relies on an AI gatekeeper to fend off 90% of all tickets by cheap canned responses.

To me the support team still looks pretty overwhelmed from the little that sips through.

I mean all they have to say is "this is being worked on by our engineers, we know this is frustrating but we'll update you as soon as we have a fix".

• Level 5

You can run an individual customers request like that.

You can’t run a support team on this policy - within short it will create too many loose ends.

And you can’t organize a process to stop the bugs by telling everybody „to work on it“. 

It’s a management decision to tell everybody „We need a list of the Top 10 bugs, and we will do nothing else for the next 20 release cycles but to squeeze them, one by one“.

Maybe they would learn during that time as well how to release new features without breaking existing ones on their way.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

You can run an individual customers request like that.

You can’t run a support team on this policy - within short it will create too many loose ends.

And you can’t organize a process to stop the bugs by telling everybody „to work on it“. 

It’s a management decision to tell everybody „We need a list of the Top 10 bugs, and we will do nothing else for the next 20 release cycles but to squeeze them, one by one“.

Maybe they would learn during that time as well how to release new features without breaking existing ones on their way.

Yeah. I'll just be patient and hope they fix it soon.