Personal vs Professional

So I was on Professional for a year and moved to Personal for a few months to use a gift code... and it's fine. I don't see any reason to pay for Professional. I think it's just better to pay for Personal and try to milk the 40% off targeted discounts they seem to constantly offer each year. What does everyone else think?

The main difference is the AI features will eventually be locked to Professional, but to me they aren't worth the extra money!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I think it's just better to pay for Personal and try to milk the 40% off targeted discounts they seem to constantly offer each year.

I think those discounts only target new customers, not existing ones.  At least I’ve not noticed one for existing  customers.

i dropped to personal a while back as well and am not missing any of the professional benefits. AI won’t get me to move unless it is really compelling AND done entirely in-house without third party involvement.

6 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I think those discounts only target new customers, not existing ones.  At least I’ve not noticed one for existing  customers.

i dropped to personal a while back as well and am not missing any of the professional benefits. AI won’t get me to move unless it is really compelling AND done entirely in-house without third party involvement.

So it you don't renew your subscription and let it lapse, it'll drop to free. If you poke around the app, you'll very quickly be offered a 40% discount for Personal to resubscribe. It's insanely easy to keep renewing at 40% off every year if you know what to do.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, mackid1993 said:

So it you don't renew your subscription and let it lapse, it'll drop to free. If you poke around the app, you'll very quickly be offered a 40% discount for Personal to resubscribe. It's insanely easy to keep renewing at 40% off every year if you know what to do.

Could be, but I tried exactly that a couple of times and was never offered a discount.  Maybe just my bad luck.

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Could be, but I tried exactly that a couple of times and was never offered a discount.  Maybe just my bad luck.

I had to let my account expire to use my gift code and I initially had a problem. I was able to subscribe with a 40% off offer and then support refunded me and gave me a new gift code with an extra free month for my trouble.

We'll see when I renew in November if I can get one of those offers again.

• Level 5

My subscription is handled through iTunes, and this makes a discount unlikely. But never mind, 40% off is like a piece of candy, short lived satisfaction.

I went from Professional to Personal on my last renewal because without a better integration with the Apple ecosystem (mainly the calendar), the Professional features are of little use for me.

If EN doesn’t solve the lack of integration, I will make a really hard value check once the new Apple AI is rolling out. Apple does AI mainly on device, and what goes to the servers is anonymized and processed by Apple themselves, not in a shady startup always hungry for training data.

This makes a huge difference for somebody like me who is professionally handling customer relevant data, under GDRP conditions.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Apple does AI mainly on device, and what goes to the servers is anonymized and processed by Apple themselves, not in a shady startup always hungry for training data.

This makes a huge difference for somebody like me who is professionally handling customer relevant data, under GDRP conditions.

Yes, that makes a huge difference to me as well as someone suspicious of AI in general.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mackid1993 said:

We'll see when I renew in November if I can get one of those offers again.

I did see that some other existing users were offered the discount, but I never was able to find a way myself.  Let us know if it works out for you again.  I have no objections to paying less.

The main Evernote site shows a 50% off offer on Personal through Sep 23, if anyone is interested.

If I decide to renew my sub in a few months, it'll be at Personal instead of Pro, which no longer offers any advantage based on my needs. I would have dropped down at my last renewal but I was worried I'd get constant nags to upgrade - glad to hear that isn't happening. Making the AI implementation more privacy- and business-friendly would be a good start to keep people on Pro. Fixing the long-broken Boolean search on mobile would also be compelling (the OR operator started returning zero results months and months ago). Heck, extending the 20% discount to Acrobat Pro rather than just Standard might be worth it dollar-wise. But just for EN's current feature set, which is almost identical now between Personal and Pro? Nope, no value left there for me.

• Level 5

We are talking 2 different types of software here: There is the Acrobat Reader, for mildly annotating and mainly for displaying PDFs.

And there is Adobe Acrobat, a fully featured PDF editor. It can break open a PDF and allows to edit it deeply.

PDF XChange is free and in the viewer ballpark, there is a full editor available for a fee.

So don’t confuse the one with the other. Viewers are in general Free, Editors are paid for. What EN has wrapped into the Professional subscription is a rebate for a paid PDF editor.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

We are talking 2 different types of software here: There is the Acrobat Reader, for mildly annotating and mainly for displaying PDFs.

And there is Adobe Acrobat, a fully featured PDF editor. It can break open a PDF and allows to edit it deeply.

PDF XChange is free and in the viewer ballpark, there is a full editor available for a fee.

So don’t confuse the one with the other. Viewers are in general Free, Editors are paid for. What EN has wrapped into the Professional subscription is a rebate for a paid PDF editor.

Wrong! PDF-XChange Editor and Editor Plus are full featured editors that are on par with and in some ways surpass Adobe Acrobat. You're completely wrong. They are also a fraction of the cost.

• Like 1

I have never tried Adobe Acrobat, but have been using PDF-XChange Editor for many years. Great product - however a bit confusing/overwhelming UI.

Evernotes partnership with Adobe Acrobat is bizarre. Unless Adobe Acrobat is somehow replacing Evernote's own buggy pdf-export function? Or is the idea that you fix the exported pdf afterwards in Adobe Acrobat?

The information on the website ("pricing") is misleading as Adobe Acrobat is included in the subscription for only one month.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Wrong! PDF-XChange Editor and Editor Plus are full featured editors that are on par with and in some ways surpass Adobe Acrobat. 

About cost there is no doubt - Adobe is another word for greed.

About the features: If you go to the Xchange website, you see they have a free viewer, and a paid editor. It’s no subscription, and you can use the software as it is for years. But it’s not for free.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

About cost there is no doubt - Adobe is another word for greed.

About the features: If you go to the Xchange website, you see they have a free viewer, and a paid editor. It’s no subscription, and you can use the software as it is for years. But it’s not for free.

I was only making the comparison between paid editors because Evernote is including 20 percent off Adobe Acrobat with Professional. My point was, that's basically worthless when there are better, cheaper, more feature rich editors out there from companies that don't completely suck. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, dagbo said:

@mackid1993 can you share the URL of the PDF XChange editor you are talking about. A Google search turns up a few versions with different URLs so would be good to know the one you trust. Thanks.

https://pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

I personally use: PDF X-Change Pro: https://pdf-xchange.com/product/pdf-xchange-pro which includes Editor Plus as well as PDF Tools which is a really nice utility for batch operations.

In lieu of subscriptions they have a maintenance fee which is optional and only required if you want updates. If you don't pay the maintenance you can use the version you have until Microsoft breaks something in Windows and then you can always pay the maintenance and get updates again.

• Like 2