Make header link open in separate note/window?

Long-time user, but accustomed to figuring things out on my own. I can't on this one. Couldn't find similar via search.

Windows app, 10.99.3

Multi-screens, EN home/calendar stays on one smaller screen all day (let's call it screen 1). Larger dual-window monitor for current work. When I need a single note for extended use, I "open in new window (screen 2)," so I can access/use while screen 1 remains accessible.

I'm really into using the header links, but if I click on one in screen 2, it goes to the correct note location, but in screen 1. A pain, since I still have to scroll endlessly in screen 2 to find that same place. These are large notes.

I hope I'm just doing (or not doing) something easy and stupid. 

What can I do to make clicking on a header link in screen 2 take me to that location in screen 2?

Many thanks.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, kkarney said:

That went away with Legacy. Still one of my biggest complaints about v10.

Well, that's a bummer.

Fairly simple workaround, I suppose, by just using the single window. Not ideal, but better than endless scrolls multiple times a day.

Will need to rethink using the header links.

Thanks for responding.

54 minutes ago, DKev_89 said:

What can I do to make clicking on a header link in screen 2 take me to that location in screen 2?

Interesting. Even if you add a full table of contents to a note (rather than just a link to a particular heading) and launch that note in a new window, clicking the TOC items will take you back to the main window. Not very well thought out!

42 minutes ago, kkarney said:

That went away with Legacy. Still one of my biggest complaints about v10.

I think I understand what you are trying to say, but links to headers were never a feature of legacy.

• Level 5*

Not sure if this is what you're looking for,  but on my Win 11 system I have a note 'dashboard' (just a normal note with headers).  Part of it looks like this - 

Screenshot2024-08-17104134.png.b374ea37240bc0c1fe84dcbd3e7c1c1f.png

- it's an alpha listing of topics with links to web pages and local executable files.  The cute 'link' icon to the right is visible when you hover over the link and does this when you hover over it...

image.png.7e9793d567f67b41bd2a34fecb7547e9.png

Paste that link in another note and Ctrl-click it to open this note in its own window at this position.  Sometimes the menu item has to be opened to see more content,  sometimes it appears fully open - that's intermitted for me.

Legacy was never able to do anything but link from one note to another.

There's been lots (sigh) of discussion about links and Evernote have - apparently - changed the process to 'simplify' things.  @Jon/t explains more in this article - https://www.tamingthetrunk.com/p/five-new-evernote-features-some-taming

If you have issues,  feedback@evernote.com or contact Support - we're mostly just users here...

6 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Paste that link in another note and Ctrl-click it to open this note in its own window at this position.

For me ctrl-clicking a link opens the note in a new Window but does not go to the heading - it just stays at the top of the note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  I just retried the link on v10.101.6 (not sure when that update happened...) and I seem to have broken it - I'm now getting 'you don't have access to this note'!

Clicking with or without control on the link direct,  the popup version,  or 'open' in the three dots menu doesn't work :huh:

image.png.20da21f67753fa58e035cc0e3bdba82b.png

I'll do the restart / reinstall dance and see if that fixes things,  otherwise Support here we come.... again...

30 minutes ago, Mike P said:

For me ctrl-clicking a link opens the note in a new Window but does not go to the heading - it just stays at the top of the note.

Maybe this will help in a few days...

image.png.a0d8022bd8928261f5481b6139a9e192.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  After signing out and back in I'm back to being able to open the note in its own window,  but as @Mike P I'm now at the top,  rather than on target.  Hopefully Marco will fix that...

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm now getting 'you don't have access to this note'!

Never had such a problem. Are you sure you're working with the correct account?

I'm on 10.101.7 and find things are going better than in later versions. But it's by far not perfect. It's sometimes annoying and seems to be a problem together with the currently visible note list:

• If this list is a result of a search operation
    • the first try to display the target of a link, the note editing window often shows an invalid note
    • a second try shows the correct not
  • If this list already shows the correct notebook
    • all is OK (including jumps to a specific header)
1 minute ago, AlbertR said:

If this list is a result of a search operation

• the first try to display the target of a link, the note editing window often shows an invalid note
  • a second try shows the correct not

Internal note header links (or whatever the correct terminology is) are basically still links, so they suffer from the same problems as ordinary links. The one that drives me mad (since at least 10.60) is the inability to open a link (in the main app window) if the parent note is in a filtered list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hopefully Marco will fix that...

Marco is "only" a maintainer of the tracker - I'd never allow developers to write directly to such lists 😉

I think they're caught within their aim to be too tricky-intelligent... The rules should be simple:

• If you click on an internal link, the target should be displayed in the current note editing window
  • If you ctrl-click, the target should us a new window
    • if there is already a window open with the target note, this window should be re-used.
  • The note list should never be touched or even necessary!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

The rules should be simple:

• If you click on an internal link, the target should be displayed in the current note editing window
  • If you ctrl-click, the target should us a new window
    • if there is already a window open with the target note, this window should be re-used.
  • The note list should never be touched or even necessary!

That would be ideal functionally. Seems quite logical and intuitive...