Evernote stuck loading, does not open

Go to solution Solved by pjbeee,

App just stays stuck loading and will not open. No matter what I have done to try to fix it including clearing the cache, doing a force stop, clearing the storage, uninstalling it and reinstalling it. For about the last two weeks now I have not been able to use it. Paying $130 a year for app that does not work is very frustrating. I was hoping this most recent app update would fix it but it has not. I use an Android Galaxy 7 Pro. It is stuck on this loading screen nearly all, day everyday. It might work briefly if I uninstall it and then reinstall it, but then the problem starts right back up when it says it has to optimize the app. I submitted a ticket 2 weeks ago but have not heard back as well.

Screenshot_20240724-204658.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SAME PROBLEM

I have a Pixel 7 Pro and Pixel 6 Pro. Evernote app on 6 Pro seems to be fine. On the 7 Pro, it constantly gets stuck loading, especially when I change WAN connections. The fix that works 100% of the time when I have an Internet connection is this: go into Settings/Apps/Evernote, clear ALL storage, restart Evernote.

It takes me to login screen, where I tap to login using name/password. The login info auto fills-in and after a few seconds I'm back in. It loads to 90+ percent, then drops back many percent and continues loading, and then I'm in.

EN was working great until the latest updates. Responses from support have been flabby canned responses that do not address the issue.

I have suggested to EN support that they tell me how to clear the data that pre-fills login and password, to see if that helps, but no response so far.

HELP!!!!!

I thought Bending Spoons was doing a great job after taking over the product, but for this issue, it's a major concern.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same problem on my wife's Samsung tablet, only solution is to clear the data and cache, but later the same day the bug returns. Is there anyone with Android for whom the app is working reliably? Hope a fix comes soon.

I have an Android S10 e and as of yesterday 24 July 2024, I cannot get in on this device. The laptop version (desktop) still works, thank God. As an aside before this, two weeks ago I used to be able to sort my notes and view by the current day. THEY FIXED THIS IT NO LONGER WORKED ON THE ANDROID. I CANNOT BELIEVE I PAY FOR THIS *****. ALSO, CANNOT SUBMIT A BUG REPORT ANYMORE.THE COMPANY THAT TOOK OVER THIS ARE PATHETIC >>>>>>>>>>geez

• Like 2

The company were NOT pathetic. They have released regular updates, which FAICT have been improvements overall. But this Android update and their tepid response to the problems created is indeed kind of pathetic. Once it loads, it seems fine.

Hey Guys! PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

• Thanks 1

Not trying to start an argument, but this forum is hosted at discussion.evernote.com, so I'd be surprised if nobody at Bending Spoons is peeking at these threads.

In any event, I have indeed raised a support ticket (more than one, in fact) and certainly hope it gets fixed in due course.

If you like, you can take my "Hey Guys!" comment as something like a wish, as opposed to some kind of DM. (grin)

• Like 2

No you can't get to the web version on your phone, a least in my experience.

One alternative is to set up remote access to a PC from your phone (Splashtop Business is what I already have) and access Evernote remotely.

But THIS IS NO PERMANENT FIX FOR A SERIOUS PROBLEM! 

Ugh.

• Thanks 1

J'ai le même problème : l'application ne s'ouvre pas, reste figée sur un écran d'accueil. Vu que certains utilisateurs ont tout essayé pour réparer sans succès, j'attends que Bending Spoons corrige ce bug insupportable au plus vite, c'est la moindre des choses ! 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Christian Gil said:

J'ai le même problème : l'application ne s'ouvre pas, reste figée sur un écran d'accueil. Vu que certains utilisateurs ont tout essayé pour réparer sans succès, j'attends que Bending Spoons corrige ce bug insupportable au plus vite, c'est la moindre des choses ! 

English translation (via Google Translate): I have the same problem: the application does not open, remains frozen on a home screen. Since some users have tried everything to fix it without success, I am waiting for Bending Spoons to fix this unbearable bug as soon as possible, it's the least they can do!

• Like 1

Repeating my Android fix mentioned above: 

The fix that works (for me) 100% of the time when I have an Internet connection is this: go into Settings/Apps/Evernote, clear ALL storage, restart Evernote. 

Login again (on my Pixel 7 Pro, the login info is stored so the login is almost automatic). It then counts to 90-something percent, drops back, and then finishes loading.

Use Evernote, get stuck again later (usually when your Internet address changes), repeat.

• Thanks 3

I see the same 4 symbols that safieman17 posted about yesterday. It constantly counts as it processes my data. On my android note 10, I can force stop but there is no option to  clear all data. The warning I get is that a force stop will cause errors. 

22 hours ago, Fumblingtowardsbliss said:

Thanks, I'll have to haul out my laptop.

@Fumblingtowardsbliss, haul out your laptop and take it to a coffee shop with WiFi to eliminate any local connectivity or ISP issues.  

Get some good coffee and a pastry while you're there.  That way, if Evernote still doesn't load, it won't have been a wasted trip.  

Vinnie

• Thanks 2

OK looks as if this is fixed. Uninstalled and installed latest version (per email from support, this was just made available). Green circular arrow replaced by newer splash screen, said it was updating database or something; took a few minutes, but seems much better now.

Edit: the splash screen text shown was "Did you know? Evernote is beautiful!" (Thanks, Safieman17 for the screenshot!)

New Evernote version 10.98.2

5 hours ago, pjbeee said:

OK looks as if this is fixed. Uninstalled and installed latest version (per email from support, this was just made available). Green circular arrow replaced by newer splash screen, said it was updating database or something; took a few minutes, but seems much better now. 

Can you share which version this is? Tired of uninstalling and installing. BTW, the Windows version has slowed down as well. A lot. What is this "optimisation" process?

Evernote Version 10.98.2 on Android (Pixel 7 Pro, Android 14)

Updated my post above. I forgot the text, Safieman17, but your screenshot shows what I saw. It sat on that "Evernote is Beautiful" screen for several minutes (too bad there's no progress indicator!) and then opened into Evernote, and the issue has so far not recurred. I've opened Evernote over 15 times now, and changed (WAN) networks as well. 

I am hoping that this solution "sticks."

7 minutes ago, pjbeee said:

Evernote Version 10.98.2 on Android (Pixel 7 Pro, Android 14)

I forgot the text, Safieman17, but your screenshot shows what I saw. It sat on that "Evernote is Beautiful" screen for several minutes (too bad there's no progress indicator!) and then opened into Evernote, and the issue has so far not recurred. I've opened Evernote over 15 times now, and changed networks as well. 

This is what I have as well. So I'll try again, hopefully for the last time.

The uninstall and reinstall works one time and then when I go into a note this message pops up and the next time I open up Evernote it locks up loading again.

Screenshot_20240731-085313~2.png

Yeah. I haven't seen that message since upgrading to 10.98.2. 

Fingers crossed here. 

Your mileage may vary, so good luck (to all of us).

Seems to me that Bending Spoons is working very hard, and constantly, to improve Evernote, but this particular issue has been a tough one, to say the least.

• Solution

Let me know how it goes. I will respond to their last email with a link to this thread, showing that some folks are still reporting the issue.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, pjbeee said:

Let me know how it goes. I will respond to their last email with a link to this thread, showing that some folks are still reporting the issue.

Endless loop, going back at the beginning.

Same. Today was the first day it truly worked, and better than usual, but before long it starts to freeze again on startup. Prompts me to "share logs," or tells me "an error has ocurred." It's torture! I love Evernote. I don't want to switch and go through the trouble of transferring gigs and gigs of notes, articles, reports, diary entries. The life of my brain since 2018 or so is on this thing. I just want it fixed. 😭

Although I've still had no new issues at my end, and I'm using the program extensively on Android, something is still going on if some of you still have issues.

I'll certainly report back if anything comes up here.

Uninstalled, fresh install, login etc. Still the app is not starting. Several minutes of the elephant logo and "Made with ❤️ by Bending Spoons"...

I'm guessing this is it after so many years with Evernote. Impossible to pull up anything useful when on the go. I don't know what I'm paying for if I can't open the bloody app!

Just want to let you all know that I reached out to Evernote and requested one month free since I was not able to use it for the last month. Once my subscription expires I can redeem the one month. They came through! Just want to let you all know as well.

Have not been able to load the app on Android (note 22 ultra) for a month. Still not working after uninstall/reinstall. Seriously looking for a replacement that just works. Constant updates full of glitches and UI changes do the exact opposite of what this app is supposed to do. 

Problème résolu pour moi aujourd'*****. J'ai eu disponible sur le Play Store la version 10.99.0 que j'ai immédiatement installée. Cette version fonctionne parfaitement maintenant sur ma tablette Galaxy Tab s5e (Android 11) sur laquelle j'avais le problème. 

Je précise que la version 10.98.2 qui ne fonctionnait pas sur cette tablette fonctionnait par contre sur ma tablette Galaxy Tab A9 sous Android 14. 

J'en conclu que le bug de la version 10.98.2 est relatif à la version Android, ce que j'ai suggéré au support via le ticket que j'avais ouvert. 

Je suis rassuré sur le support de Bending Spoons, bien que la résolution de ce bug se soit fait attendre un peu trop longtemps... 

Same problem with my Note 10 Android cell phone, stuck on Bending Spoons. This is very frustrating; I use my phone to take notes more than my computer. Why am I paying $130.00 a year if I cannot use my phone?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, pjbeee said:

I am now on 10.99.0, yes. Seems like a good place to be.

I'm on 10.99.0 and it's not working for me. 

I even uninstalled and reinstalled. I 'appears' to work, but if you close the app and reopen it, it attempts to 'optimize.' That's when it hangs. I left it for over an hour, and it just stuck at 76.22% and the numbers never changed.

2 hours ago, rdenzel said:

I'm on 10.99.0 and it's not working for me. 

I even uninstalled and reinstalled. I 'appears' to work, but if you close the app and reopen it, it attempts to 'optimize.' That's when it hangs. I left it for over an hour, and it just stuck at 76.22% and the numbers never changed.

I finally got it to work. 

I cleared the app's cache and data again.

Restarted phone (although I had restarted the other day when I noticed EN was frozen and would no longer open).

Opened Evernote before doing anything else and logged in. Got message about 'fixes' in new version. I closed EN after it came up 100%

Opened Evernote again. Got message about new 'daily journal' feature. I closed EN after it came up 100%.

Opened Evernote again. Got message that next time it would 'optimize' my data. I closed EN after it came up 100%.

Opened Evernote again. The message that it was optimizing data and the percentage started going. It hung at 70% (or so) for a while, but after 30-45 minutes it was done and EN seems to be working. I've opened and closed it a few times and it seems to be working now.

• Thanks 1

@rdenzel, I have duplicated your experiment! Only addition was a force stop app as well out of sheer rage. Every other restart/reinstall it'd freeze up after the loading screen (with the animation/percent progress). After clearing cache and data (plus force stop) on the restart, I went quickly through the three motions: open, it works; open again, restart warning; open third time, share log screen with animation/percent progress. I didn't even see the percent progress screen fully load. It just took me to Evernote. I think the addition of "Daily Journal" is the sign you've gotten it to work. Nevertheless, Evernote has to straighten this out. It's too good an app to commit suicide the way they are. It's like someone bought it and is trying to make it fail.

Not an excuse for the problem, but Bending Spoons has been constantly releasing tweaks and updates for EN. My bet is that this particular problem has proven to be a tough one for them.

in .99 too, tried all that ,seemed to work for less than a day, reinstalled, cleared storage, put a bunny tail on... I'm done with it. it's a pity. I sent a ticket to support but not holding a candle to it. Evernote in general has evolved more in the last year than the previous 10, but the Android app in particular has some really really painful stuff going on, and this one is simply the last nail in the coffin for me. I don't know what I"m gonna do, but I know I can't rely on it on my phone, and it was key for me. It's stupid but I'd rather use Keep or whatsapp myself to capture stuff at this point. The 'Capture' home page was a great idea, but the performance after that screen never got that good.

• 2 weeks later...

You can use Notion for free, and it will log into Evernote for you and download all your notes. The formatting won't be the same as in Evernote, but even if you have thousands of notes it won't take long and all your data should be there. Including your pictures.

Evernote is now working fine on my Android phones, but it's sad to hear that you are still having problems.

Here it goes again. I know what will happen next. Because it happened a dozen times before. Strangely my Android phone app has no problems. Can someone explain this "optimization process" that cause my app to fail again and again? 

Screenshot_20240818_093914_Evernote.jpg

10.101.2 worked for a short time. now i can't even log in. It shows the login screen and after giving the credentials it shows a nearly empty screen saying: Error logging in ...

so, this is not funny anymore. Stopping the app from Android and clearing the cache also doesn't help.

I don't want to commpletely uninstall and reinstall beacase it will need 3 weeks to sync my database with over 30.000 notes...

....image.thumb.jpeg.163bbf52938ba7753a7ae2b41e4010ba.jpeg

No-Big-Problem alert - Pixel 7 Pro: Yesterday for the first time in quite awhile, Evernote gave me that "refresh" message where in the past it would freeze on loading.

Instead it indeed refreshed, which took under 30 seconds, and restarted fine. 

If you are still having these issues on Android, is your desktop/browser app still working OK?

And no, I'm not making excuses for Evernote on Android not working; I'm just curious.

14 hours ago, pjbeee said:

If you are still having these issues on Android, is your desktop/browser app still working OK?

And no, I'm not making excuses for Evernote on Android not working; I'm just curious.

no, it's not working. I tried installing the previous version 10.100.1 via APKMirror - but it refuses to install an older version over a newer ....

same problem. After couple of days the login screen  appears. Error log in. I reinstalled 2 times already with all the settings i did. annoying.

From the login screen you can send error report. I filled in everything, then clicked on adding file, the file explorer opened,  i choose the logfile and the form i filled in was gone, replaced by the login screen. I did it 2 times. So Evernote is not saving time but wasting. I used it for more than 10 years, payed a lot. It seemed to get better but then disappinting again. A couple of weeks ago when stuck permanently i installed 10.92.1 which was working. Unfortunately I updated again. looked like working but only some days. I should make my change log. :(

• Level 5

The usual way it not to try on top of an existing install. Wipe the current install, try it then.

EN holds some data on device - any older version may not be compatible, leading to a crash when newer database meets older app version.

On 8/21/2024 at 11:31 AM, andy777 said:

10.101.2 worked for a short time. now i can't even log in. It shows the login screen and after giving the credentials it shows a nearly empty screen saying: Error logging in ...

so, this is not funny anymore. Stopping the app from Android and clearing the cache also doesn't help.

I don't want to commpletely uninstall and reinstall beacase it will need 3 weeks to sync my database with over 30.000 notes...

....image.thumb.jpeg.163bbf52938ba7753a7ae2b41e4010ba.jpeg

I received an email from support, telling me that the new update has resolved the problem.

Yes you have to uninstall completely though. But it does not take a lot of time (I have over 48000 notes, it was quick).

Now let's see if I can go a couple of cycles of opening th app without problems.

Version 10.101.4

I am wishing you (and the rest of us) good luck with this fix.

Obviously the Android OS has presented some hurdles to the Evernote team. Their continuing work on it is to be appreciated.

I truly believe that they are working really hard on the product. And yeah, sometimes they change the UX more than I'd like but Evernote still invaluable to me when it works, which is usually.

So, very satisfied to finally be able to access Evernote on my tablet, I work a bit on a note, for which I create a public link... Then I add this public link to another note... I click the public link to check that it works well... and Evernote crashes... I go back into the app, try the link again, and it crashes again, and again, and again... Each time, returning to Evernote takes quite a while, and opening the note in the app (which should be simple) takes about 10 seconds. I eventually give up. The same note, checked later in the Windows client, works perfectly. This is how, little by little, my trust in Evernote erodes. Every time I see a new feature appear, I avoid using it, knowing that in a professional context, the risk is too great.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, So I was having infinite loading on every device (except my personal ipad) for almost 3 weeks. Just showing that little loading icon/logo thing constantly. I reinstalled, cleared storage, etc etc

Anyway I cancelled my evernote subscription and then because I was on the free plan it asked me to unsync all my devices and as soon as I did that, evernote FINALLY launched on my work laptop. So if anyone hasn't tried unsyncing all their devices, maybe try that because it worked for me :D

There ought to be a fully stable version of Evernote that doesn't get the latest and "greatest" updates, beyond fixes for obvious bugs, for a period of time, say 30-60 days - or next major version.  And then one for folks who want bleeding-edge technology. It ain't called bleeding for nothing.

I know, these are usually called alpha, beta or release channels. 

On that note, I just love (not!) how Microsoft is now trying to force us into bleeding-edge mode (something like click here to get the very latest updates) with their Windows updates. Very close to army-volunteer mode the way they nag you.