Publish to Web - Is it useful?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

One of the things I liked about Notion was its web publishing capability.  You can create reasonably well structured information websites, with some access control.

I recently noticed that Evernote has this capability.  But as far as I can see it only publishes individual pages, and not notebooks or a collection of linked notes and it offers no real access control - eg I want to choose who can see my pages (using the share with feature required the other persons use Evernote)

For example, as far as I can see, there is no way to create a web home page, that will include links to other published pages - at least not with much work to add all the unique publish links manually, which, in turn, makes the Evernot version messy.

Is this potentially great feature really so basic, or am I missing something?

• Level 5*
  • Solution
18 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

Evernote doesn't really have this option. But there is a service called Postach (https://postach.io/) that does the trick. It links to Evernote and lets you publish an entire notebook as a website. Each note becomes a separate page.

Actually it publishes a notebook's content* in 'blog' format - there's an index page with the current and previous dated contributions.  It's also possible to create a home page within that format and present the collection as standard web pages.  Once the notes are in 'blog' format,  you just need some basic copy/ pasting to put the page URLs into a kind of online ToC to create the home page.

See https://cliffeactual.com/blog for the blog layout and https://cliffeactual.com/ for the home page.  It's my 'play' site (the name's a long story,  and it's a bit of a mess...)

Not sure whether or not the bespoke URL linking is a subscriber feature - you get 5 notebook connections for free,  and subscribers get more features including password access protection if required.

(* Tag each note you want published with "published" untagged notes are not included)

EDIT - Just reminded myself that the generated web pages will automagically format themselves to mobile as well as desktop screens so your blog/ website is mobile-friendly.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

FWIW I believe that sharing is still under review with Evernote and sharing at Notebook level might be restored.

I've used Pistach.io in the free version quite successfully.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • @gazumped I tried free postash, and liked it, so signed up for a subscription and have been locked out ever since.  The team did not rely for a week, and when they did it was more a bot like answer than one where they wanted to be sure my problem was solved.  Have you actively used their paid version much later, eg are they taking payments, and can you create a new site?
  • I really like the concept, and its simple, but usable. 

For anyone, is there any other option - I would really like to be able to run a vacation blog for only family and friends for each day of our trip.  Using Evernote as my editor seems ideal.  

PS: I want no more than a simple password security - I do not want my family to have to open an account with some service to see my content, which most platforms seem to demaind.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Grant837 said:

Have you actively used their paid version

Yup - I've been a happy user for ages;  my public (but very neglected) site is here... https://cliffeactual.com/ (long story). 

I was paying monthly but decided annual was better (and cheaper) so my last payment was 4 months ago.  They are even slower than Evernote when dealing with queries,  but there are lots of help pages - how are you locked out?  Of your own site?  Or the postach.io dashboard?  

@gazumped  I tried to sign up for a monthly subscription and now when I try to open my site it says there is an account problem and to login for details or contact support.  I have done both and am none the wiser after more than a week.  I tried to down grade to free but that only sends a message to the team, who have don nothing to change it.  I also now see I can not close my account, or remove my credit card information, which kind of worries me.

I am going to try to open a new account and see if things go better. 

If not, I am hoping there is an alternative publish from Evernote solution that only requires visitors to use a password to view my blog, and do not have to install an app.