Evernote constantly uses 100% of a core

Go to solution Solved by Spark594,

Hi there since the last 1 or 2 versions ( 10.91.1,  10.91.2;  10.91.3 didn't fix it either), Evernote seems to run something in a tight loop so it uses up 100% of one of my cores (see image below). Even when app is idle/minimized. That leads to the processor clocking up to 6 GHz and getting quite warm and the fans blowing. 

image.png.848b73ecdf278ba1fd02654ed176ddee.png

I logged out, deleted the app, re-installed it again and it happens already still in the login screen as well (of a new installation).

Anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas?

Thanks

System: Win 11, Core i9 14900K

Graphics card: RTX 4070 Super

//Update (for people newly discovering this thread and having the same issue)

Affected people: It seems that this particular issue is happening with the Evernote 10.91.1+ Windows app installed from the store and Windows machines that have a dedicated Nvidia graphics card.

Workarounds that keep you using the Evernote app:

1) Rename the Evernote.exe to Evernote2.exe. Weird fix but seems to work consistently. See: post by @Spark594

2) Use the disable-gpu flag when starting the app. See this post by @Ricardo

Both work for me as well. The second option (at least for me) results in a certain lag when scrolling through notes. The first option works smoother, so I'll use for now the first option.

Other solutions/workarounds:

1) Use the app downloaded from the store. Seems to work as well. See this post by @Spark594

2) Don't use the windows app at all but just the web version and create a browser based "app". As even the native app is mostly the same code the web app version is very similar to the app variant (but not 100%). See this post by @Brakkar

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Use the Revo Uninstaller SOFTWARE we tell to use. The regular uninstaller leaves the data on the drive, and surprise: When you reinstall the corruption is still there and drives the app nuts as before.

After uninstalling USING REVO restart the PC before you reinstall.

I am on Windows 10 and suddenly having the same CPU usage issue as well since the last few updates.... I have a 12-core AMD processor and the evernote process is consistently using 5% of the total available CPU power, even at idle / when minimized. Tried logging out / logging in, restarting the app, restarting pc, etc. The issue remains. I am on the newest version. Please let update here if you resolve this CPU usage issue. I also opened a support ticket with evernote, and included a log export. Hopefully we can figure this out 

• Like 1

I have a similar problems since 10.91.x, Evernote always uses about 11% CPU in the background, which translates to about 1-2 logical cores of my 7800X3D on Windows 11.

Already did a complete removal with revo and install after reboot.

Ticket-Nr.:  #3910914

Edited by Spark594
Ticket Nr. added
  • Like 1

Also the same problem on my tablet with an intel atom ZF3735F on Windows 10 after updating evernote.

But after a few minutes it settled there to about 1-2 % cpu usage.

2 weeks ago after PC reboot, evernote takes up 30% of the CPU time on my Core i9 11900f.
A complete reinstallation of the application and deleting the folder in AppData/Roaming (revo is useless btw) didn't produce any results. After re-installation, the problem arose immediately after launch, even before logging into my account. Nothing has changed with the latest updates.

Windows 11 23H2 build 22631.3672
Evernote v10.91.1

PC spec if needed:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-11900F 4.7GHz
GPU: Palit GeForce RTX™ 3080 GamingPro OC
Memory: DDR4 2x16Gb 3733MHz Kingston FURY Beast Black RGB
Mainboard: ASRock H570 Steel Legend
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250Gb

image.thumb.png.42ad7db375512424554b70efb07d7499.png

Same issue for me on Windows 11 23H2 22631.3593.  Evernote pegs one of my cores at 100%.  

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz

10.91.1-win-ddl-public (20240604023825)
Editor: v178.10.0
Service: v1.109.4
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Thanks for the inputs. I got around to test this now.

I logged out of Evernote.

1.  First I uninstalled the version and installed the most recent (19.92.3) and tried it with that version, same issue already at the login screen

2. I used Revo to uninstall (with the default settings/process, didn't fumble with the leftovers it found), restarted, and installed 19.92.3 again, again same problem at the login screen already. Logging in and waiting didn't help either. 

I'm a bit surprised that this issue is not fixed as it seems to be quite common (from the many quick responses in this thread alone..). 

Isn't there are least an official bug ticket with acknowledgement from Evernote that this is happening, what the reason is and when we can expect a fix?

The stack trace of the process is quite consistently this one:

image.png.1948d6495cadc1132ec28f7b157ef619.png

This (nested calls LongTaskStats) looks slightly suspicious to me. But of course, it's just guessing without the code. But for an Evernote engineer it should be relatively easy to spot what exactly the problem is here..

PS: I created now a request ticket as well.

Of course I could, but I would expect a clear guide/instruction from Evernote what the problem is and what exactly I'd need to do. I have absolutely no desire to mess something up and then have to fix issues for hours. Without clear analysis first, everything else is just poking around in the dark.

I'm a paying customer and I expect professional software and if there's a bug professional support (not necessarily from you of course if you don't work for Evernote). I have no issues having to debug myself when I use free software but not as a 10+ year paying customer.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Remove all using Revo, restart, install fresh.

Oh, you wanted it in neat print ?! Here you go:

Remove all using Revo, restart, install fresh.

Have tried that already on my system, I have run revo uninstaller in the intensive mode and deleted everything found in the file system and in the registry.

Then manually deleted the Evernote-updater-folder, because revo won‘t find that.

Then installed Evernote again after a reboot. No change, even after letting it run quiet a while to download the offline-db.

15 hours ago, Spark594 said:

Have tried that already on my system, I have run revo uninstaller in the intensive mode and deleted everything found in the file system and in the registry.

Then manually deleted the Evernote-updater-folder, because revo won‘t find that.

Then installed Evernote again after a reboot. No change, even after letting it run quiet a while to download the offline-db.

Yes, did the same thing as well now (even though one has to be careful as Revo also lists things that are not related to Evernote, which one shouldn't delete). It didn't help either. Happens on login screen as well as remains even when logged-in (also after a while letting it sync).

PS: After the Evernote ticket I received an email saying again the same thing to re-install. I followed-up now and will post back here when I get new instructions or they are able to resolve it. But I'd encourage the others to open also tickets that they are aware of for how many customers that happens.

I created a ticket, but the response I received was simply “Thanx for feedback.” I'll try Notion soon, anyway I'm done with evernote and won't be renewing my subscription.

25 minutes ago, Mystic said:

I created a ticket, but the response I received was simply “Thanx for feedback.” I'll try Notion soon, anyway I'm done with evernote and won't be renewing my subscription.

Ok, interesting. I got a generic "we'll fix it" email.

Quote (part of email): "Please consider this email to be a confirmation that we have received your report and are prioritizing the bug fix accordingly."

That sounds a bit that they have it at least tracked and are aware but without a public bug tracker or non-automated response this could also mean nothing at all.

1 hour ago, Mystic said:

44 minutes ago, drakon said:

Ok, interesting. I got a generic "we'll fix it" email.

Quote (part of email): "Please consider this email to be a confirmation that we have received your report and are prioritizing the bug fix accordingly."

That sounds a bit that they have it at least tracked and are aware but without a public bug tracker or non-automated response this could also mean nothing at all.

Support requests are sent to a third-party AI vendor, who decides what to answer and what to ignore.

• Confused 1

Same issue. Constant 28% cpu usage on 12t/6c i7 8770k. Even in background, minimised to tray. I Did a fresh install and removed /roaming/evernote (my folder was 700mb) - now starting fresh from 20mb its streaming all my notes and folder is growing currently only 50mb but CPU usage still stupid high. Must NOT be related to Db corruption. Must be a performance regression in something new in .90.x

Even setting the subprocess to Efficiency Mode only takes it from 28% down to 12%. Must be some hog code its running.

image.png.9accd4e434cce9d7097ad8a4e09ce29e.png

• Like 1

Problem persists with version 10.93.1. Even when i uninstall it with revo, then reboot and disconnect the pc from the internet before opening the new installation of Evernote again. It´s using cpu-resources in the background even while not logged in.

But then i tried the version from the Microsoft Store, and it does not have this problem.

So for the moment my solution is to the use the ms-store version until they fix their standalone-installer.

49 minutes ago, Robbbert said:

Another update, yet nothing changes: HIGH ENERGY CONSUMPTION makes Evernote unusable during other tasks.

Does the same happen with the Microsoft-Store-Version?

The same issue, evernote consume a core in idle state
10.92.3-win-ddl-public (20240612161827)
Editor: v178.12.0
Service: v1.113.6
image.png.8e00c87ee62363a89dc908f1e50a97bf.png

The version from the store works fine, but I won't use this *** with a square icon that can't be changed. And without autostart? (not sure).

ps Windows install problems, ye, sure, anyway it means it's evernote has problems with some component of the system, not the system has problems with evernote.

• Level 5

Sure it must ... just checked my client, running and idle. 3.6% of CPU usage, total sum of all the positions.

OK, it's on a Mac, but I can see the same pattern on several computers. As in the past we will see that the few users reporting a problem will have something in common, a certain OS update status, a 3rd party app that interferes, a specific system setting, whatever. Sometimes hard to find, and always amusing how the same users who claim there is a problem block any analysis, by insisting it must be the EN install that creates the problem.

If you exclude the store version for the exclaimed reason it has a square icon, the issue can't be relevant at all for you.

Know what, explain it to support. They get paid to look after the hopeless cases.

9 hours ago, Mystic said:

And without autostart? (not sure).

@Mystic Autostart on boot is working in the store version.

Only disadvantages of the store version compared to the download version i have found are:

1. No entry in the right-click -> sent to menu in the windows explorer
  2. Local DB not moveable
  3. Square Icon
1 hour ago, Spark594 said:

Autostart on boot is working in the store version.

@Spark594 Well, anyway, even a regular icon will not suit me cause i use custom icons and they can't be replaced for apps from the windows store (excellent work MS, very convenient).

image.png.3c9efb45689acd9962a724d9e4d7d577.png

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If you exclude the store version for the exclaimed reason it has a square icon, the issue can't be relevant at all for you.

@PinkElephant Ye, i don’t wanna see a ugly square icon on the taskbar, my bad, ok, sorry.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Know what, explain it to support. They get paid to look after the hopeless cases.

Exactly! Support should ask me to provide them with information to debug and find the reason for this behavior. But they simply said “thanks for the feedback” twice and that’s it. They're useless. For so many years they have not been able to remove the empty line between the code block and the horizontal line. What a shame.

• Level 5

EN support will help with the app itself. If what I read is the same they have read, they will likely come to the same conclusion: Something is wrong with your individual install, or from an interaction with another app.

The answer „from the book“ is uninstall / reinstall. I am pretty sure they told you so (plus update everything). To go beyond you need a more convincing reason than that you dislike the icon you get when installing from the store.

Actually I won’t go beyond either. I luckily skipped Windows some years ago, partly because I was sick about the permanent debugging sessions. This plus the lack of basic IT security was enough to get rid of this IT environment for me.

• Haha 1

"install update" seems to be new splash screen for Evernote. After many updates later, energy consumption is still highest from all the software that I run. More than almost 30 tabs opened in chrome with different content. 

I also encountered similar problem, and found NVIDIA GPU related things seems to eat CPU time. ("NvMessageBus.dll" is NVIDIA's module)
I sent this to support and got "we will fix" mail.

image.png.95374e37d823e6b0ed7a3fc1d1c1b9dc.png

I use Evernote for Web for now and wait fix...

Same on Windows up to 20% cpu non stop.

Tried uninstall and reinstall. Same issue.

Tried a tool which clears out everything and all traces called GEEK which is like REVO. Reinstalled. SAME ISSUE.

I PAID FOR THIS

Same Problem. 100% of the time 100% saturation of a core on windows 11.

Tried logging out without keeping data. Then logging back in: same problem.

This is typically what makes me move to other competing solutions. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, shkit said:

I also encountered similar problem, and found NVIDIA GPU related things seems to eat CPU time. ("NvMessageBus.dll" is NVIDIA's module)

Ah, interesting. Do we all have Nvidia cards? I do have a 4070 Super. At least @Mystic also has an Nvidia card.

Does anyone here have a AMD Radeon?

At least regarding CPU it also seems to happen on AMD as well (cc @b09). 

Maybe worth a try would be to take the card out and see if also happens without a dedicated graphics card.

What version of Nvidia driver do you have? Mine is 555.99. I updated it yesterday and seems the problem appeared since that. Although i'm NOT 100% sure of that.

I have an AMD 7800x3D CPU and a Nvidia RTX 4070 GPU with driver version 555.99.

if it really has something to do with the Nvidia-Modules, it would explain why a newly created local user on my system has the same problems, but when I boot windows in safe mode(where only the basics windows needs to boot are loaded) the problem does not appear.

Edited by Spark594
Added driver version.
6 minutes ago, Brakkar said:

What version of Nvidia driver do you have? Mine is 555.99. I updated it yesterday and seems the problem appeared since that. Although i'm NOT 100% sure of that.

I'm now on 555.99 as well. It seems it just updated itself when I opened the app though. 😕 - But it happened before and now still. Could be though that it was already somehow installed and just the app "updated itself".

That version is out since the 04.06.2024 (4th June), so suspiciously close to when it seems to have started.

Anyone else using an older version? 

Potential workaround for those that wait for a fix: use the web version but install it as an app on your computer. Search for "Install Page as app" on google for more information.

This will install a special browser window just for the app, and it will feel very much like the original app.... to the point that I think the desktop app is only partially native and use web technologies for most of its layout (unconfirmed). 

• Level 5

Unconfirmed … want a confirmation ?

The app runs based on the Electron framework - which is a Chromium browser without a front end. The front end is the app, coded AFAIK in Java Script. All interactions with the OS need to go through the framework. This explains why seemingly simple interactions with other apps do not work: They need to be explicitly coded.

So in fact the desktop app is a browser engine that operates as a virtual environment, hosting an app. Which explains the consumption of RAM and when operating CPU. It behaves similar to Chrome because it is a close relative. And Chrome is a resources hog in all aspects.

This does not explain a high resources consumption when idle (just to mention it).

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

This does not explain a high resources consumption when idle (just to mention it).

Yes. Chrome and other Electron-based applications work well, and only Evernote goes wrong as long as I have seen.
I don't know what differences these are.

• Solution
On 6/24/2024 at 12:17 PM, shkit said:

image.png.95374e37d823e6b0ed7a3fc1d1c1b9dc.png

Hi @shkit,

i have found the same occuring on my system. Then i googled a bit about this error and found another electron-based-app with the same error:

kit - Fresh install has high idle CPU on Windows 11

In this error report, one user renamed the .exe file of the programm by adding a 2 to it to fix this. I tried the the same with a fresh evernote 10.94.2 install on my pc, renamed the Evernote.exe, corrected the link and it´s icon in the start-menu and it seems to have stopped the problem:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe -> Evernote2.exe

This don´t make sense to me, but now the high cpu-usage in the background has stopped for at least for now.

Starting Evernote automatically with Windows boot did not work until i corrected the evernote entry in the registry under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

At least this could be a weird workaround for those who need offline access to evernote and don´t have access to the ms store version.

Btw:

All these changes can be made using a powershell-script containing 3 commands and the adapted start-menu-entry as a source.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

If it's based on web tech, then why even bother installing it?

I'm using the web version that I installed as an "app" which is in fact just a special standalone web tab, and it feels like the installed version with little disk space used and no bg process. 

1 minute ago, Brakkar said:

If it's based on web tech, then why even bother installing it?

I'm using the web version that I installed as an "app" which is in fact just a special standalone web tab, and it feels like the installed version with little disk space used and no bg process. 

3 Reasons:

1. Offline-Access to the Notes.
  2. Export of Notebooks as .enex-files without the use of third-party-software.
  3. Import-Folders.

But apart from these functions you are right, the local Versions and the Web-Version feel very similar in day-to-day-use.

By the way, can we disable GPU rendering for Evernote?
Although rendering goes slow, if setting is available and this issue can be resolved, it is better workaround I think.

19 hours ago, Spark594 said:

Hi @shkit,

i have found the same occuring on my system. Then i googled a bit about this error and found another electron-based-app with the same error:

In this error report, one user renamed the .exe file of the programm by adding a 2 to it to fix this. I tried the the same with a fresh evernote 10.94.2 install on my pc, renamed the Evernote.exe, corrected the link and it´s icon in the start-menu and it seems to have stopped the problem:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe -> Evernote2.exe

This don´t make sense to me, but now the high cpu-usage in the background has stopped for at least for now.

Starting Evernote automatically with Windows boot did not work until i corrected the evernote entry in the registry under Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

At least this could be a weird workaround for those who need offline access to evernote and don´t have access to the ms store version.

Btw:

All these changes can be made using a powershell-script containing 3 commands and the adapted start-menu-entry as a source.

Thanks this worked for me.

I investigated the high CPU process and found that Evernote had some sort GPU rendering issue and just could not stop doing whatever it was...

Msf Command Line: Pros "C: \ Users \user\AppData \ Local \ Programs \ Evemote \ Evemote.exe" -typemgpu-process -user-data-dir="C: Inte \ Users \user\ AppData \ Roaming \ Evemote" -gpu-preferences=WAAAAAAAAADgAAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAA 4AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA   AAAAAAAAAAYAAAAAAAAAAgAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAIAAA Sys AAAAAAA== -mojo-platform-channel-handle=1868 -field-trial-handle=1872.i.2829864353203148157.112492 dwr05222971082497.262144 -disable-features=SpareRendererForSitePerProcess.WinDelaySpellcheckServicelni ILINinRetrieveSuggestionsOnlyOnDemand /prefetch:2 Path: Eve C:\ Users \ user \AppData \ Local \ Programs \ Evernote \ Evemote.exe 

Changing the program to 2 has stopped the problem. 

So, it being a "virtual" view into the browser is interesting. It isn't all that speedy if I am honest. Probably will stop paying next year.

I really dislike web tech. Always inferior to native technologies written in c++ or c#.  Also aberrant RAM use.

I wish to move away from Evernote, but unfortunately there are no viable alternative on windows. Tried Notion.... (web tech). Within 5 minutes I ran into limitation of the program: limitation about font sizes you can set (for paragraph font, you have only 2 sizes - both too small for my screen size), and no image editing.

• Level 5

The ruined the company and the app by using "native" technology for too many years. 5 clients, no code sharing, different features and UI on each of them.

We had it all, and it nearly took away your reasoning about an alternative. Because if EN had failed instead of being sold, forced to move elsewhere would have been the outcome.

4 hours ago, shkit said:

I've updated NVIDIA Game Ready Driver to 556.12, the problem remains.
Web tech is hard to resolve problems for me...

What problem do you have? Have you read my post above?

On 6/26/2024 at 8:19 PM, Spark594 said:

Hi @shkit,

Thank you. I have a desktop and laptop. Both of them have Nvidia GPU. Evernote was using a CPU core fully in both laptop and desktop. Renaming the filename fixed the problem. 

Hi, everyone!

I posted on another thread a workaround that solved my issue - instead of using ~10% of CPU when idle, now Evernote consumes about 0.1%. Just add the parameter "--disable-gpu" to the command that starts Evernote. Check the post / thread for more details.

• Like 2
On 6/27/2024 at 2:31 AM, namsu55 said:

Thanks this worked for me.

I investigated the high CPU process and found that Evernote had some sort GPU rendering issue and just could not stop doing whatever it was...

Changing the program to 2 has stopped the problem. 

So, it being a "virtual" view into the browser is interesting. It isn't all that speedy if I am honest. Probably will stop paying next year.

Renaming Evernote.exe to Evernote2.exe and then relaunching also seemed to have fixed the high / persistent CPU usage for me as well on my windows machine. I was seeing constant 5-10% of my 12-core Ryzen 9 CPU being used, even when app was idle / minimized. Renaming the .exe to Evernote2.exe seemed to fix the issue - so weird. Anyone know WHY this fixes the high CPU issue?

DEVS...GET ON THIS - clearly more and more people are having this issue. My ticket I opened was completely and totally ignored. 

• Level 5

No devs here, go ask support.

It becomes pretty clear that this is happening on a specific configuration, related to GPUs, maybe a drivers issue. This makes it probable that it is not even EN who can solve it - it is likely an issue of the underlying framework, that handles all OS traffic.

But again, go through support, and add all relevant information about your system setup.

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No devs here, go ask support.

It becomes pretty clear that this is happening on a specific configuration, related to GPUs, maybe a drivers issue. This makes it probable that it is not even EN who can solve it - it is likely an issue of the underlying framework, that handles all OS traffic.

But again, go through support, and add all relevant information about your system setup.

I did create a very detailed ticket, and included a dump file as well. They completely ignored it....not a single acknowledgement or reply. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We are all sort of unhappy with support, although it has improved somewhat.

The better strategy is to create an initial ticket, and wait with additional input until they have send an initial reaction.

Hi all, thanks for all the inputs! 

I went ahead and marked @Spark594answer as the solution as it was the first workaround that allows to still use the windows app. But since there were also other workarounds and ideas, I updated the first post and linked to them. Thanks in particular to @Spark594, @Ricardo and @Brakkar for debugging, testing and providing workarounds! 

• Like 1
On 03.07.2024 at 21:04, b09 said:

I did create a very detailed ticket, and included a dump file as well. They completely ignored it....not a single acknowledgement or reply. 

Same

On 6/26/2024 at 7:19 AM, Spark594 said:

Hi @shkit,

Btw:

Hi,

Did you end up making a powershell script to automate this work-around fix? If so, could you please share it? It's annoying to do the steps manually each time Evernote pushes out an update (that completely ignores a fix for this issue.) 

I know it doesn't take that long to do it manually, but still, it'd be nice to have a little script to just run each time Evernote updates

@b09

Hi, yes i did. Actually, i have created two scripts:

First a simple .bat-Script which circumvents the restrictions on powershell-scripts under windows 11 and maybe 10 by starting the second script in a powershell-process without restrictions (Evernote_Cpu_Fix_Pre.bat):

Powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned .\Evernote_Cpu_Fix.ps1
exit

Now the second script, which does all the magic (Evernote_Cpu_Fix.ps1):

#Rename Evernote.exe in the programm-folder:.
Get-ChildItem -Path "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote" -Filter "Evernote.exe" | Rename-Item -NewName "Evernote2.exe"
#Replace the evernote-shortcut in the start-menu with the modified one.
Copy-Item -Path "C:\<Path to modified shortcut>\Evernote.lnk" -Destination "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Evernote.lnk" -Force
#Replace the evernote-shortcut on the desktop with the modified one.
Copy-Item -Path "C:\<Path to modified shortcut>\Evernote.lnk" -Destination "C:\Users\<username>\Desktop\Evernote.lnk" -Force
#Modify Registry-Entry to reeanble auto-boot on Windwos start.
Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run' -Name 'com.evernote.Evernote' -Value 'C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote2.exe --was-opened-with-auto-launch' -Force

You need adapt <username> to your windows-username (the name of your user-fodler under C:\Users. Also you need to insert the path to the modified Evernote-shortcut to the place where you put the shortcut. (I have it placed right next to the scripts).

Now the third part, you need: The modified Evernote-shortcut

Basically you copy the original Evernote-Short out of the start-menu or the desktop and change 2 things:

1. Target: Change Evernote.exe to Evernote2.exe

2. Icon: Change the Icon Path to the Evernote2.exe.

To do this, you need to one time manually rename the Evernote.exe, then you can modify the shortcut and copy it away. Evernote-Updates will always overwrite the shortcuts!

If you have any more questions, just ask.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Spark594 said:

@b09

First a simple .bat-Script which circumvents the restrictions on powershell-scripts under windows 11 and maybe 10 by starting the second script in a powershell-process without restrictions (Evernote_Cpu_Fix_Pre.bat):

exit

Get-ChildItem -Path "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote" -Filter "Evernote.exe" | Rename-Item -NewName "Evernote2.exe"
Copy-Item -Path "C:\<Path to modified shortcut>\Evernote.lnk" -Destination "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Evernote.lnk" -Force
Copy-Item -Path "C:\<Path to modified shortcut>\Evernote.lnk" -Destination "C:\Users\<username>\Desktop\Evernote.lnk" -Force
Set-ItemProperty -Path 'HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run' -Name 'com.evernote.Evernote' -Value 'C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote2.exe --was-opened-with-auto-launch' -Force

You need adapt <username> to your windows-username (the name of your user-fodler under C:\Users. Also you need to insert the path to the modified Evernote-shortcut to the place where you put the shortcut. (I have it placed right next to the scripts).

Basically you copy the original Evernote-Short out of the start-menu or the desktop and change 2 things:

To do this, you need to one time manually rename the Evernote.exe, then you can modify the shortcut and copy it away. Evernote-Updates will always overwrite the shortcuts!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this....works great on my Windows 11 system :)

Now let's all hope Evernote actually takes the time to fix this issue and we won't need to keep doing this work-around 🤞

On 7/9/2024 at 7:51 PM, Spark594 said:

@b09

exit

Excellent thanks for this. 

Evernote will be the last of after this year.

I found this post because Evernote is using around 10% CPU when not in use - enough to notice the fans and be annoying.  Renaming evernote.exe to evernote2.exe did, for whatever reason, fix this.

I found the cause for me on my machine, since the latest version updates.

If i have a note with a link to any google docs, the CPU and GPU go crazy to the point the laptop overheats.  If i remove the google docs links from the notes file it goes back to normal.  I just replaced with plain URLs.