Web Clipper imposing limit of 5MB on note content

Hello,

I have posted a similar message to the actual Web Clipper forum, but it's been waiting over 48 hours now for moderator review. Since this forum is more active I thought a post here might get reviewed more quickly.

My installs of the web clipper (version 7.35.0 on both Safari and Chrome browsers (Chrome with a clean install of the clipper), Sonoma 14.5) refuse to clip content over 5MB, reporting:

"Clip is over 5MB
Sorry, maximum note content size is 5MB.
Contact Evernote support"

(see attached screenshot)

This is despite my account being Professional, with 200MB per note size limit and with 99% of my monthly upload allocation remaining. 

In 10+ years of using the clipper I've never encountered this, so it seems like it is a newly imposed limit, but I can't be sure.

I have tested that adding notes directly in the desktop app and in the web interface, over the 5MB size limit and it works fine. The notes get saved properly etc. So there seems to be no general note size issue with the account itself. Only the web clipper seems limited to 5MB

I have submitted ticket #3899478

Interested to see if anyone else is encountering or has encountered the same issue.

A convenient test page is https://acoup.blog/2024/05/17/collections-on-the-reign-of-alexander-iii-of-macedon-the-great/ , which, at least for me, when clipping 'simplified article' hits the 5MB limit.

Thanks

clipper_error.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  Please don't post the same issue in different Forums.  As you're a new poster,  there's a short delay in publishing to avoid spam.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Can't reproduce this (on Professional myself). Just clipped this picture from Unsplash in full resolution from my 4k monitor - the note size is 6MB. The clipping worked without any message about a limit:

image.png.b983662ba0bc30a7912a9816c76d9777.png

image.png.cbee490ed55e860bc4a69b95b247f06b.png

Thanks for checking!

I am also able to clip images / screenshots over 5MB (didn't think to check until you did, and I can)

The issue, for me, seems to be limited to clips made using 'Article', 'Full Page', and 'Simplified Article'. I'm now assuming that this is a specific bug or a misleading error message, possibly having to do with the particular website (linked in my original post) interacting with Evernote. I still get the pop up about a 5MB limit there. However, since I posted, I've also been able to find other websites where 'Full Page' clipping works fine even if the content ends up being 7MB.

Thanks again.

• Level 5

Actually I had problems finding websites that would take me beyond 5MB. When I selected 100 preview pics on Unsplash, the clip had only 750kB.

Maybe you can post the websites that gives you trouble, to better understand the issue.

Yeah! it isn't very often that I hit them (pages over 5MB) 

Here's the site that originally generated the error message for me (still does):

https://acoup.blog/2024/05/17/collections-on-the-reign-of-alexander-iii-of-macedon-the-great/

Hopefully that link will get posted okay, not sure if direct links are allowed or filtered in this forum. If there's an issue with the link, a google search on "Collections: On the Reign of Alexander III of Macedon, the Great? Part I" should work as well.

If I go to that blog entry and try clipping with 'Simplified Article' or 'Full Page', or 'Article' options I get the 5MB limit error pop up. 

However, I am able to clip 'Full Page' on my Facebook feed, for example, and that generates a note of 7MB in size without error message. So it could be something specific to the site linked above and might be a pretty narrow issue.

• Level 5

Working for me (Full page clipping mode) - but the clipped note has 3 MB only !

When clipping "simplified", the note has a size of 2MB. When clipping "Article" it's 3 MB again.

Conclusion: If there is a limit I can't reproduce it, because my clips all stay below the 5MB in question here.

Next stop: Support ?!

Hah! (clipping same page leads to smaller note size) I sometimes wonder if browser / OS differences influence exactly how images etc are compressed etc. Alternatively, the error message might just be misleading. Since I've never been able to clip that page, I don't actually know what the note size would be, its possible that it isn't actually over 5MB and still triggering the error for me for some reason. Thanks for checking, I appreciate it.

I submitted a ticket when I first encountered the issue. I'm sure they have higher priority issues to address first of course. It's not as bad as I first thought as it seems to be specific to certain websites and not a general issue with all clipping being limited to 5MB, as the error message seems to imply.

I just clipped it as an article and it imported fine into my Windows client  v 10.89.2.  Note info reports that the size is only 3MB, though.

Vinnie 

On 5/31/2024 at 2:01 PM, mpotter27 said:

Yeah! it isn't very often that I hit them (pages over 5MB) 

Here's the site that originally generated the error message for me (still does):

https://acoup.blog/2024/05/17/collections-on-the-reign-of-alexander-iii-of-macedon-the-great/

On 5/31/2024 at 3:09 PM, Feitz said:

image.jpeg.0ed29439affdfe6c14dd7d0426eec1ba.jpeg

EDIT: Never got this error before...

A full page clip worked for me, resulting in a 3MB note. Web Clipper 7.35 for Chrome on macOS. Pink is also on Mac, though they use Safari. What browser and OS do you guys use? Maybe the issue is specific to certain browser / OS combinations.

Thanks everyone for checking this yourselves!

Something quite odd is going on, though it seems, to somehow be mostly related to this site in particular and my particular setup.

I'm on macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook 16 inch M3 Pro

I still get the over 5MB error when I try to clip 'Full Page' on that site (Alexander the Great) in Safari 17.5

It now works in Chrome (version 125.0.6422.113 arm) 

I get a note of size 8MB. However, I have uBlock Origin (ad blocker) installed. When I turn it off, I get a note of size 3MB!. Somehow the note gains in size when he Adblock is on, which is the opposite of what I would expect. uBlock can't be installed for Safari however, so any interaction it is having with Clipper in Chrome is not the reason for the clipping not working in Safari for me. Also, in Chrome I was clearly able to clip a note over 5MB. 

So, it's some sort of complicated issue that seems to only apply to this specific set of versions, and possibly just to my account...

clip_example_240603.jpg

clip_chrome_ublock_on.jpg

clip_chrome_ublock_off.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Level 5

Interaction with ad blockers is nothing new. It can cause all sort of effects.

I think this is the missing element between our trials, and yours.

I do not run an on device ad blocker. Instead my whole home network is protected by a Pi-Hole. It seems this works differently, because it doesn't influence clipping results.

• Like 1