Typing, cursor movenent and scrolling sluggish and with considerable lag (Macos latest)

Go to solution Solved by Metrodon,

Since one of the last updates editing and viewing notes has become extremely frustrating due to heavy lag while typing, moving the cursor with the keyboard and scrolling.

Scrolling is not fluent but very choppy with constant interruptions while content is loaded. 

Why can't a note be fully buffered in memory? Instead notes seem to be loaded in small chunks only to the extent they are visible. Therefore whenever I scroll down V10 has to load more chunks of the note. I'm on a fast NVME drive and the notes I tested are not overly large. This is still way worse than previous versions were 10 years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Device?  OS and Evernote version numbers? - and 

4 hours ago, Feitz said:

This is still way worse than previous versions were 10 years ago.

There were no 'previous versions' 10 years ago.  The code you're using was only written in the past couple of years.

A clean reinstall might help your lag issues...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Device?  OS and Evernote version numbers? - and 

Thank you, sorry, Macos Sonoma, latest and V10 latest (through website).

There were no 'previous versions' 10 years ago

Well, Legacy and its predecessors don't count? 

A clean reinstall might help your lag issues...

I reinstalled three times since I switched to V10 on this Macbook pro, each time downloading 80GB of data and having to wait several days until ieverything settled.
Can't reinstall every week just to keep V10 somewhat happy.

Clean reinstall was suggested as well with the new files section, that didn't show anything but a blank page and a high cpu load.
The latest update seems to have solved this somewhat, I only have to wait some 10-15 sec. until files show up so I'm happy I didn't wipe V10 again. 

Can't search inside PDFs though, so 'files' currently is of no use I can think of anyway. Hopefully this will be added soon.

• Level 5

No. 3 Macs, all doing fine.

In the past something like that was often related to a corrupted local database.

The cure was to remove the install using AppCleaner, restart the Mac and install fresh.

To give it time for the local download, the app should be kept open in the background for an extended time, several days with large accounts.

Can’t tell for sure for the latest releases. I jumped trough that loop last summer for the last time. Had no need since.

6 hours ago, Feitz said:

Anyone else seeing this lag in V10 / Mac?

I've seen this in one or multiple of the more recent versions of v10 every now and then. I use Evernote 8+ hours a day intenseively. I think I see it every week or so. A reboot helps.

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No. 3 Macs, all doing fine.

strange, my install/db is quite fresh, so I am reluctant to nuke it AGAIN...

• Level 5

Anything specific to these notes ? Or just slow(er) in general ?

The nuclear option is the last on my list. Before comes:

1. Quit the client, open it again
  2. The same, but with a prior log-out
  3. The same, but with log-out and a restart of the computer
  4. The same, but with a uninstall (without nuking the database, just a fresh install of the client)
  5. And then, ultimately, a full fresh install, with an initial removal using AppCleaner (Mac) or Revo Uninstaller (Win).
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2024 at 10:48 AM, PinkElephant said:

Anything specific to these notes ? Or just slow(er) in general ?

No, general lag in typing and scrolling.

I‘ll try again on Tuesday after we return home. Will report back…

• Level 5*
  • Solution

scrolling bug I reported today...

scrolling the side bar or note using the mac touchpad causes a choppy lazy load.

Strangely, if you use the scroll bar on either the side bar or the note, scrolling is as smooth as you'd expect.

Also, if you open the note in it's own window, scrolling with the touch pad works fine.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

EN 10.87.5, MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No lagging on scrolling at all - fast and snappy, both inside the note or using the scroll bars. Tried with Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad (external) on MacBook Pro 14" M2 Max in clamshell mode, and with the build in touchpad when opened.

On 4/28/2024 at 8:39 PM, Feitz said:

Anyone else seeing this lag in V10 / Mac?

Not a recent thing for me. Speed has been terrible for me on v10 from the get go. Have uninstalled, run appcleaner, etc. a few times.

I will say things seemed to pick up a little bit in one of the releases last week. Nothing like Legacy speed, but better...

• Like 1
On 5/13/2024 at 12:07 AM, Metrodon said:

scrolling the side bar or note using the mac touchpad causes a choppy lazy load.

Strangely, if you use the scroll bar on either the side bar or the note, scrolling is as smooth as you'd expect.

Also, if you open the note in it's own window, scrolling with the touch pad works fine.

Looks similar... Thanks.

• Level 5*

So someone marked this as solved.

I don't think it's solved by any means, there's some clunky workarounds but it's still a bug that should be fixed at some time.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Metrodon said:

So someone marked this as solved.

I don't think it's solved by any means, there's some clunky workarounds but it's still a bug that should be fixed at some time.

Unlike the old days , there is essentially no Evernote presence here any more.

Only those that created the thread can mark it as solved.

8 hours ago, Metrodon said:

So someone marked this as solved

I did because sibce it seems to be a bug there's not much we users can do but wait for BS to pick it up.

I didn't intend to cut short the discussion though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 5/28/2024 at 11:19 AM, Backflowservicesdoneright said:

Three Macs, all running smoothly without any issues.

Historically, similar problems often stemmed from a corrupted local database.

One effective remedy was to use AppCleaner to completely remove the application, followed by a Mac reboot, and then reinstalling it from scratch.

To facilitate the local download process, it's advisable to keep the app running in the background for an extended period, especially if dealing with large accounts.

Regarding recent releases, I haven't encountered this issue lately. The last time I dealt with it was last summer, and fortunately, it hasn't resurfaced since.

I nuked this poster,  and a different previous user (with exactly the same content) as spammers since both "inadvertently" included their business URL as part of the post.  Please don't do that.  I saved the content in case it's relevant.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/13/2024 at 12:07 AM, Metrodon said:

Same problem here. When scrolling with the touchpad 2-finger gesture, the note refreshes a second after scrolling stopped.
When dragging the scrollbar up and down, refresh is almost instant.

I am using a MacBook Pro Intel Core i9, 8 cores, Radeon Pro 560X. It's definitely not the latest hardware, but for scrolling notes with text and images, it still is overkill :)

Hopefully this will get fixed soon, now that the bug was reported. 

• Level 5*
On 6/30/2024 at 8:00 AM, Gérard said:

Same problem here. When scrolling with the touchpad 2-finger gesture, the note refreshes a second after scrolling stopped.
When dragging the scrollbar up and down, refresh is almost instant.

I am using a MacBook Pro Intel Core i9, 8 cores, Radeon Pro 560X. It's definitely not the latest hardware, but for scrolling notes with text and images, it still is overkill :)

Hopefully this will get fixed soon, now that the bug was reported. 

No harm in you reporting it too...