Evernote files - loop on pdf password request

Hi

I open the new Files-menu. The first file in the list is an password-protected pdf.

Evernote loop request password to continiue. It does not solve the problem to press abort button, reopen the browser, Evernote web etc.

It is not possible to just click on another file because the request password window block me from doing anything. 

Using chromebook, chrome and Evernote web. 

Does anybody have an solution ? :)

Hi

No,  I only see the message that the pdf is password protected,  and are able to choose another document without input of password.

Thanks for advice, I will send the question to support. 

• Evernote Expert

This is probably an unanticipated bug.

Definitely requires a bug report. Files is still in development. You should probably stop using it for a couple of iterations ;)

• Level 5

Mac 10.84.3 - the files position is in the left panel. But clicking on it produces a blank main area - nothing is displayed at all.

On the web client it worked right away.

A logout/login then made it work on the installed client as well. On switching between Files and other positions opening the files view is pretty slow.

I will wait some days - maybe it needs to run an indexing first.

• Evernote Expert

Sorry for that for you. I was referring just to the Files pull out that is slow. 

I haven't experienced any slowness in Evernote generally. My first response would be to uninstall with Revo Uninstaller and then reinstall. The freezing you describe feels like some corruption.

9 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Sorry for that for you. I was referring just to the Files pull out that is slow. 

I haven't experienced any slowness in Evernote generally. My first response would be to uninstall with Revo Uninstaller and then reinstall. The freezing you describe feels like some corruption.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled it, and that has slightly improved the speed unless you select the "Files" section when the whole thing comes to a standstill for quite a while.  I can't appreciate the advantage of this as I have thousands of files embedded in notes, which I can find easily by searching.  Plus, only PDFs and Image files work in the Files section; however, all my embedded notes open correctly in their native Programme. 

• Level 5

By accident I found a neat use for it: I clipped a website to a Free test account I sometimes use. It had only this single note, so all files listed were from that clip.

You would expect maybe a handful of files from that web clip.

But no, there were nearly 40 files listed ! All these tracking pixels used for tracking users against their will and without consent showed up in the files list - nearly all files could not be shown, because they were a picture file with a single, white pixel. They are just used for tracking purposes - when they are downloaded, the tracker knows somebody (with all the data transferred it is a pretty individual "somebody") just opened that page.

Yes, my experience also is very slow Evernote when I choose the new Files menu. 

Just trying again today, still after 30 minutes it still loading...

• Level 5*

Evernote Desktop runs very quickly on my Dell Win 11 Desktop,  but even there the Files section has a bad attack of molasses.  I agree it's unusable at present,  but I look forward to it getting better... though I also don't know why I'd go there for a file rather than look at the note it's attached to.  Unless there's a possibility that the if file becomes detached from the individual note I could still find it there?  (But shouldn't it be in Note History too??)  Confused.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

though I also don't know why I'd go there for a file rather than look at the note it's attached to

Exactly my view as well @gazumped I cannot see me using this feature as I have never failed to find a File in a note by searching.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 4/16/2024 at 1:08 PM, agsteele said:

My personal view is that this Files feature is a solution seeking a problem.

Bingo. First 20 "elements" are from a note that includes a Web clip and 1 attached file. The attachment is there. The other 19 are the usual sort of logos, stock photos, etc., you find on every Website. There are also svg_1 through svg_8, which display no preview or other information. There's a search feature, but it only searches filenames, not within OCRed attachments.

Suggestion: Ask the person who developed this feature to take the person who decided to color internal links blue out for lunch. Then lock the building.

• Haha 1
22 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I cannot see me using this feature as I have never failed to find a File in a note by searching.

Since I've experienced some 'untitled attachments' recently I hope files - once it works - will let you search for attachment names. Thus I could determine whether the 'untitled attachments' are a real problem or only a handful of notes that are affected. That indeed would be handy.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

There's a search feature, but it only searches filenames

ah, thanks for confirming. So far I only have a blank screen when I hit 'files'.

EDIT: ... and V10 processes go through the roof. With 80 GB of data this (indexing?) will probably take a week or two, maybe BS QA should test new features on a large database...

EDIT2: moving away from the files section won't calm things down, very high CPU load, fans full throttle, no screen refresh in Evernote, no thumbnails, everything blank and V10 basically frozen.

EDIT3: 

image.jpeg.f363eb7c3b74c6566b141c3970b0eef9.jpeg

Maybe they should stop releasing these early alpha state features to the wild?