What's the big deal with slash commands?

Not sure why the new slash command feature is such a big deal.  It seems as if you can invoke any one of these features by simply going to the "insert" option on the menu above or the "Heading" menu.  , which takes the exact same amount of time as typing in a slash.  Actually I'm thinking of disabling the slash feature since I don't like the way it pops up constantly as an option.  The arrival of the slash command was heralded as a great feature here but, unless I"m missing something, I don't think it moves the needle for me one way or another.

Pressing either one of these two buttons gives you the same features as the Slash.

image.png.cbeca70fa81de051af166b3151d5bb3d.pngimage.png.932d375b79723a8edaf3b2b48f72f385.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Depends if you use one of the functions frequently - '/' plus a letter gives you a much shorter list of options,  / plus a couple of letters may allow you to just hit 'return' to choose your option.  Don't like it?  Don't use it...

Actually I was inquiring because I sensed a lot of euphoria on this feature and was wondering if perhaps I was missing something.  However, after playing with it for a while I am realizing that at most it could save me a few minutes of time daily.  Overall, nice to have but I'm not raising the champagne glass on this one.  On the other hand, collapsible sections is a real game changer.  That one feature has completely changed the way I interface with EN and has solved longstanding issues that bedeviled me for years.  Looking forward to more of those types of features.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Maybe it depends on your usage habits. If you are a keyboard shortcuts guy, you will welcome the slash-commands as a new possibility to avoid taking your hands off the keyboard. If you are rather mousing around, it will be no big deal.

The hype around it is probably that they introduced a feature offered by other note apps (take THAT, evil Notion). So, let’s lean back, it’s Popcorn time in the war of the notes apps. The EMPIRE strikes back …

🤣

• Like 2
15 hours ago, idoc said:

Actually I'm thinking of disabling the slash feature since I don't like the way it pops up constantly as an option. 

I don't believe that is an option. The best you can do is hide the "inline hint".

• Level 5
On 4/12/2024 at 3:08 PM, PinkElephant said:

Maybe it depends on your usage habits. If you are a keyboard shortcuts guy, you will welcome the slash-commands as a new possibility to avoid taking your hands off the keyboard. If you are rather mousing around, it will be no big deal.

The hype around it is probably that they introduced a feature offered by other note apps (take THAT, evil Notion). So, let’s lean back, it’s Popcorn time in the war of the notes apps. The EMPIRE strikes back …

🤣

🤣 Popcorn time. If that means throwing popcorn at each other, I'm all for it. Unless I end up ankle-deep in popcorn. Come to think of it, I believe we could use a popcorn-throwing section in these forums.

On 4/12/2024 at 10:53 AM, gazumped said:

Depends if you use one of the functions frequently - '/' plus a letter gives you a much shorter list of options,  / plus a couple of letters may allow you to just hit 'return' to choose your option.  Don't like it?  Don't use it...

"Don't use it" would be great if every single time I used the slash key, which is regularly/often, I didn't get a distracting and annoying popup.

On 4/14/2024 at 2:20 PM, atimbral said:

Please give an option to completely disable this. 

PLEASE

On 4/16/2024 at 7:23 AM, buddygoertz said:

I sent a message to feedback - to hopefully provide a way to completely disable this feature.  I use / many many times in notes - extremely annoying feature

Good suggestion. Me too.

This is a solution that no one wants to a problem that doesn't exist. At least give us the ability to disable it.

• Like 1