How to prevent EN to assume each file name is an URL?

• Level 5

Forum users who post the client and platform do it much better …

The settings are different for mobile and desktop. Typing just a path does not convert into a clickable link.

• Level 5
12 hours ago, Farbauti said:

Whenever I type in a filename, EN thinks and automatically converts it to an URL:

image.png.5e85209b2c0f2cb4777deaec7dbc8dc6.png

How can I prevent this behavior?

V6 was much better...

Ctrl+Z or backspace will delete the link. I find that Evernote doesn't create a link out of a filename (like ReadMe.doc), not even a fully qualified filepath beginning with file:///, only out of a potential URL.

Personally, I find it more annoying that Evernote also doesn't automatically make a link when a URL is followed by punctuation instead of a space or Enter.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Personally, I find it more annoying that Evernote also doesn't automatically make a link when a URL is followed by punctuation instead of a space or Enter.

Well, almost each character can be part of an URL, e.g. as a value of a GET parameter. How can EN know the punctuation you type no longer belongs to the URL?

But if you hit space or enter after punctuation, EN recognized the URL without the trailing punctuation.
At least in my EN client/Windows10.

It seems like EN converts anything that looks like a domain name (like StartWatchTicket.sh ;-)) or starts with http[s]:// to an URL.
Unfortunately all other that should be converted to an URL (like file:///... or even evernote://...) is not recognized to be a valid hyperlink address 😞)

• Level 5
On 4/12/2024 at 2:08 PM, AlbertR said:

It seems like EN converts anything that looks like a domain name (like StartWatchTicket.sh ;-)) or starts with http[s]:// to an URL.
Unfortunately all other that should be converted to an URL (like file:///... or even evernote://...) is not recognized to be a valid hyperlink address 😞)

Yes, I wish there was a little more automatic converting. (But are you saying that you can type or paste something like evernote:///view/{codes of numbers and letters} and not get it transformed into a note link??) But since this thread started with a question about how to get it to convert less, my guess is that there is no level of automatic conversion that won't irritate some number of users, and I've decided to accept it as they're currently doing it (which will probably change at some point, without announcement, and raise another firestorm).

18 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But are you saying that you can type or paste something like evernote:///view/{codes of numbers and letters} and not get it transformed into a note link?

Yes and no (after diving deeper...). If a string that starts with evernote:///view/... is ...

• ... a valid internal link to a note in the currently open account,
    • it is converted to an URL showing the note title as text and the address as the link behind 👍
  • ... a valid internal link to a note in an other account
    • it seems to be converted to an URL - but cannot show the note title.
    • A never ending loading-indicator shows up
      • ... until the other account shares the note with the currently open account 👍
  • ... an (syntactically) invalid internal link
    • the string is inserted without any modification to an URL (OK)

So all-in-all handling of evernote:///view/-links is OK.

20 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

... my guess is that there is no level of automatic conversion that won't irritate some number of users ...

OK - with one exception: See 049 - Paste internal links as complete HTLM link (with title and URL) into foreign applications 😉

• Like 1