Support not available, loops through login to web

Attempting to log a bug takes you in a circle forcing login to the web client again.

I wanted to log a bug about Evernote on Mac being unusable offline

I tried from inside the app - it took me to the Evernote Help and Learning page https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

Pressing Technical Issues takes you to https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/categories/27869980799123-Technical-issues which has a Submit a request button.

Pressing that button takes me to the Evernote web login (note this computer is currently already logged in with Mac desktop).

Logged in (took a couple of minutes) and used the Need a little Help link at the bottom which takes me back to the Help and Learning page above.
The help and learning page took me to another copy of the login for Evernote web.

• Evernote Expert

My suggestion is to log out from Evernote in the browser.

Clear out cookies for Evernote.

Log back into the web client at evernote.com.

Then go to 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I think that should work although it looks like a new support interface has been launched. Possibly trying to offer more automation of issues such as cancelling subscriptions etc.

When selecting the issue in the form, scroll down to report a bug

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've already done the Cookie Deletion Dance as per my offline issue and sadly it made no difference to my ability to log bugs. This is also observed with multiple clients - it may be related to my account having been around for a very long time and possibly also that I had Legacy active for a year or more, in parallel with V10, so I'm in the some people have problems bucket.

• Level 5

There are different options to what can go wrong: Local/app, local/computer, local/network and global/network. Some examples:

L/A: Outdated cached content, website data for Evernote.com or it`s derivates, remains of a legacy install

L/C: Installed plugins, especially ad blockers, PC Firewall, Antivirus / Cyber security software, on Windows bad registry entries

L/N: Network firewall, DNS filters (like a Pi-Hole or other ad blockers), activated VPN (especially if it routes all traffic through a corporate network)

G/N: Everything outside of the local network, like an ISP blocking certain sites

Since nobody knows your setup, you need to find out yourself. If you think everything is fine locally, try a personal hotspot from your phone to circumvent the ISPs network, for example.

I've had that problem for over a year. Today, I simply wanted to try sketch now that I have a tablet... and it doesn't work. Wanted to create a ticket to get that fixed before renewing. Not going to pay $130/ year for this madness....especially if we can't even open support tickets.<facepalm> 

It's nothing related to the network on my end. Tried multiple ISPs. This is now all being done on my tablet right now even, same issue. Even tried multiple browsers in which EN says are supported. Brand new install of Firefox.... even gets error message. See attached. I was surprised to finally at least get an error message. 

I think in the past, I eventually got a direct link to create a support ticket,  which worked. That was in the past. Pop up settings in the browser were also an issue in the past for logins.  Haven't bothered much with web stuff for evernote since...until now again. Ugh. 

Screenshot_20240416_131717_Firefox.jpg

26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The error message says it all: You need to enable popup windows in your browser. You have disabled them <facepalm> …

We know what it says...Lol.
Soooo, as mentioned previously with this being a fresh install of Firefox, what might be helpful to know/consider... is that the browser might actully be the best place to look for these types of issues... FIRST... and FOREMOST- instead of going through all of the other ancillary hoopla networking variables before that.

I didn't disable any pop-ups. Firefox browser... by default... may have blocked it- according to Evernote's message. I'll be looking into the Firefox browser to see if it's truly blocking it through a pop-up blocking agent or something. I haven't used Firefox in over a decade and this was my first install of it on this tablet, so should be a good place to do some testing for it. (Instead of my preferred browser; Chrome)

I'm starting to wonder if this loop thing is an account specific problem only... and unrelated to any other variable. 

Interesting Discoveries: 

• I noticed that if I enter in my username with a wrong password in the web login... it says I changed the password 98 days ago, yet if I use my email address with the wrong password, it says I changed the password 30 days ago. Hmmm...  wth?

• Also tried various "Submit a Ticket" / "Contact Support" links with my new Windows laptop using both Edge and Chrome. Same issues. Since I'm not too familiar with the new version of Edge, I worked with Chrome to check more into it. I found only TWO things within Chrome which were initially set to be blocked within evernote.com; Intrusive Ads and Insecure Content. I then set both to ALLOW....  and tried all over again. Same issue. Endless loop. This is on a new laptop. Tried on multiple ISPs. With not seeing a plethora of other users having this issue, I highly doubt it's related to the ISP, default Firewall or default AV settings.  

• Some instances of the Login didn't have the ReCAPTCHA option listed. Weird. I've tried a few dozen times and it's sporadic.  

One thing I'd love to find out if it's specifically related to those that had the Legacy/older accounts. ( I've been a member since 2008. )

Should we do a poll to get to the bottom of this? Is there even a poll option in this forum? 

CHROME_1.png

CHROME_2.png

CHROME_3.png

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, Prophat said:

One thing I'd love to find out if it's specifically related to those that had the Legacy/older accounts. ( I've been a member since 2008. )

Should we do a poll to get to the bottom of this? Is there even a poll option in this forum? 

Don't think it's related to account type - I had a legacy test account until recently;  converted it to v10 without any issues.

I doubt you'll get to the bottom of this with or without a poll - what you need is to contact Support - which may take some time,  but they can fix your login issues...

.... just tested on a family member's new MacBook Pro using Safari, connecting through Verizon hotspot. Same account. Same loop... no error messages. Next I'll try out a new account.

Since I'm not an Apple guy, would Safari block Evernote.com Logins by default? @PinkElephant, would you by chance know this?

3 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I doubt you'll get to the bottom of this with or without a poll - what you need is to contact Support - which may take some time,  but they can fix your login issues...

🤔

• Level 5

Open Safari settings. Then you find this in the tab Websites (1). Choose Popup Windows from the side panel (2). You find defined websites (3) and the corresponding settings (4). Options are Allowed, Block and Block&Notify. The settings that will be applied for all websites in general you find in (5).

From my experience the notifications are not always reliable. It may be it blocks, but doesn't notify even if Block&Notify is selected.

image.thumb.png.1f85f247a83359821bd2ccaa0ee35ddc.png

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Open Safari settings. Then you find this in the tab Websites (1). Choose Popup Windows from the side panel (2). You find defined websites (3) and the corresponding settings (4). Options are Allowed, Block and Block&Notify. The settings that will be applied for all websites in general you find in (5).

From my experience the notifications are not always reliable. It may be it blocks, but doesn't notify even if Block&Notify is selected.

Thanks, @PinkElephant!! I'll check this out in the morning to see what's what. Did you have to adjust default settings in Safari (assuming you use Safari) in order to successfully get to the area for actually submitting tickets/opening up a new ticket to get support?

• Level 5

Actually Safari is my main browser, Firefox second option. I never use Chrome, and Edge is only a skin over a Chrome(ium) engine.

Can‘t tell what to set how in Safari - probably I allowed something back then when we went on Mammoth safari, and it carries over ever since. Since browsers are getting more loaded with security functions, it can be an update of the browser breaks things that worked before. Plus plugins, plus maybe corporate settings on managed devices.

It can be some try and error, unfortunately. I can just tell that for me it works flawlessly, every time on MacOS Sonoma using Safari and Firefox. It works as well on my iPad with Safari.

• Evernote Expert

Don't forget that on a tablet or phone the browser setting for the site needs to be set for Desktop view/site.  The original error message looks typical for attempting to view without that switch being selected.