Requests for Option to Toggle off AI Edit and Edit Note Toolbar

al0101

Idea

30 replies to this idea

Plus one for the option to turn it off. It feels like each feature added lately is doing a really good job of getting in my way whilst working. 

I dont mind new things being added, but the option to hide should surely be there from day one.

• Like 8

This AI Edit button appearing over anything selected in a note now is absolutely obnoxious. I don't have any use for this feature and it's now literally getting in my way and just actively aggravating me. I want the ability to disable any AI junk from Evernote completely.

• Like 7

I badly miss Evernote Legacy already. Remove this annoying AI button that comes up every time I highlight a word or line. I am very close to switching to a different note-taking app, after over 10 years.

• Like 2

Even if I was an avid fan of the AI Edit feature (which I'm not), I'm confident that I'd still think it's super annoying to have that little menu constantly popup like that. Why not just have a hot key for it?

I know they might add a setting for it or change it somehow -- just like they added in a settings to disable the "Press / to insert an element" -- but it's almost like they are going to keep pushing different things to see how in-your-face they can make it without getting too much user pushback. It's getting kind of frustrating and exhausting.

• Like 2
On 3/28/2024 at 3:43 PM, Boot17 said:

Well, for those of us on Personal, perhaps the AI Edit will be a Professional feature only so it will go away.

oh - yikes - I've seen a vision of the possible future and here it is:

image.png.da50b131458160a6216bf3b8202cd07e.png

(Note - this was just a joke.)

Well, I was a pro user, but I downgraded when they took my Home Page away on Android, so maybe I'll lose this nonsense also. 

Another strong vote to be able to disable the AI functionality. I have been a paying Evernote user for many many years, and while I am not personally averse to some AI applications in other tools, I absolutely cannot use a notes tool which utilizes AI. Not only does it breach company policy (we similarly are not allowed to enable Zoom's AI functionality), but I personally do not know or trust where and how the data might be used ("Sent to a 3rd party"). 

I realize that I would need to interact with the bright sparkly ever-present button to use the functionality, but the UI is clearly designed in such a way as to encourage its adoption. 

Unfortunately if I am unable to explicitly turn the feature off in Settings, I will need to cease using Evernote. 

I do a lot of copy/paste, highlighting/searching through my notebooks as part of the reason I use Evernote in the first place - so the pop up is incredibly frustrating to my work flow

I also write a lot original content so I take the AI Edit tool as a personal insult quite frankly

I'm also investigating migrating to another app

I HAVE ANOTHER suggestion regarding AI EDIT - while the AI EDIT feature is " thinking" rather than leaving a blank screen in the box, perhaps have a spinning circle notification etc. within the box so I have confidence that it's actually working as opposed to hanging.

Agreed. The AI features seem helpful for those who need it, but my university & employer strictly prohibit the use of any AI tools— being able to toggle this account-wide with an option that's tucked away in the account settings would be perfect. 

• Like 5

I also wanted to echo the requst to disable all the "AI Edit"/"AI Powered Search"/etc prompts wherever they occur in the app (on notes, in the Search bar, etc.). I unilaterally do not want to use AI features, and it is intrusive to have one specific feature promoted across multiple interfaces; I read the announcements and the notes and the release notes, I dismissed it, I do not want to continue seeing it. It's visually intrusive and feels gimmicky, as watching the little animations for it appear and disappear makes the app feel like it's lagging to load something I don't want (whether or not that is actually true).

• Like 2

Well, for those of us on Personal, perhaps the AI Edit will be a Professional feature only so it will go away.

oh - yikes - I've seen a vision of the possible future and here it is:

image.png.da50b131458160a6216bf3b8202cd07e.png

(Note - this was just a joke.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/25/2024 at 10:13 PM, SZ-1F9DC0 said:

Agreed. The AI features seem helpful for those who need it, but my university & employer strictly prohibit the use of any AI tools— being able to toggle this account-wide with an option that's tucked away in the account settings would be perfect. 

I'm a fan of AI in general, but I have yet to get any useful results from the one in EN. And either way, I don't need things popping up on my screen. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The initial AI functions were far from being an asset. But these last functions behind the new button are really quite useful.

That the button shows everywhere while editing is a bit overdone, but it seems they are fixing this intrusion now.

• Like 1

Please allow users to turn off AI entirely. Taking away the annoying AI Edit button will be a great start, but please allow us to turn it off if we do not want AI at all.

I'm even considering moving to a different service because of the AI implementation. I have used Evernote for over a decade and would hate to do so, but I really don't want to  risk my notes being subject to AI.  

• Like 2

Dear EN, please explain why you persist in invading our note-writing with image.png.061a5229dda9286580a8e2f55f476fc9.png .  Isn't that contrary to the fundamental design and purpose of Evernote?

I accidentally opted-in to AI and it's driving me crazy! I would never EVER want AI to edit anything. Please please please please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE allow it to be turned off. It just gets in the way of being able to edit my own words. 

I'm on 10.86.2-mac-ddl and I'm not seeing the AI Edit popup button at the moment. No mention of it's removal in the release notes -- unless I missed it. Anybody else seeing similar?

(And who knows when it could be back... and in greater numbers. 🤣)

6 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I'm on 10.86.2-mac-ddl and I'm not seeing the AI Edit popup button at the moment. No mention of it's removal in the release notes -- unless I missed it. Anybody else seeing similar?

(And who knows when it could be back... and in greater numbers. 🤣)

Yes, AI popup seems to be gone on EN10.68.2 - Maybe because AI is now for Professional/Teams only, and it would be too much nagging to show it for everybody (who needs to upgrade to use it)?

• Thanks 1