• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, whyisthissohard said:

Is it possible to change the storage location for attachments? I don't like it being the the Documents folder and would prefer to change the location.

Thanks

Under settings - applications - Evernote local data

This will move, I believe, your entire database and not just the attachments.  You might want to check to see what that shows for you.  I didn't think Evernote used the documents folder.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You find the location change in the app settings - unless you use a Store version. In this case a change of location is not available there.

But you can change the location even then - just google for "Symlink" to learn how.

You should keep your data on a local drive. Putting the data on a removable or network drive can cause problems. Avoid a turning disk drive - performance will be abysmal.

2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Under settings - applications - Evernote local data

This will move, I believe, your entire database and not just the attachments.  You might want to check to see what that shows for you.  I didn't think Evernote used the documents folder.

58 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You find the location change in the app settings - unless you use a Store version. In this case a change of location is not available there.

But you can change the location even then - just google for "Symlink" to learn how.

You should keep your data on a local drive. Putting the data on a removable or network drive can cause problems. Avoid a turning disk drive - performance will be abysmal.

I'm not using the store version. I changed the local data location and attachments still appear to be in the Documents folder.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, whyisthissohard said:

I changed the local data location and attachments still appear to be in the Documents folder.

What data path did it show before you changed it?  Having Evernote documents in the documents folder is unusual.  How were these files added?  Were they scanned in?

31 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

What data path did it show before you changed it?  Having Evernote documents in the documents folder is unusual.  How were these files added?  Were they scanned in?

Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Evernote was the path.

I generally drag and drop files into the notes. 

I uninstalled, reinstalled, changed the path and they are still in the docs folder.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, whyisthissohard said:

I uninstalled, reinstalled, changed the path and they are still in the docs folder.

When you uninstall there is a question about it keeping data.  Did you have it delete the data?  It will then rebuild your Window's database.

2 minutes ago, whyisthissohard said:

I generally drag and drop files into the notes.

Were they in your documents folder to start?  Notes get copied into Evernote, not moved.  Could these be your original files separate from your Evernote database?

4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

When you uninstall there is a question about it keeping data.  Did you have it delete the data?  It will then rebuild your Window's database.

Were they in your documents folder to start?  Notes get copied into Evernote, not moved.  Could these be your original files separate from your Evernote database?

I deleted the data.

No. I usually pull them in from a separate temporary folder. I don't use the Documents folder

• Level 5*

Ok.  A couple of last comments and then I'm afraid it may be time to contact support.

Try changing a file that is in Evernote and then check your documents folder to see if the file is updated there.  Add a new file to Evernote and see if it shows up in your documents folder.  I'm a Mac user.  Maybe this is something specific to Windows.

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

Ok.  A couple of last comments and then I'm afraid it may be time to contact support.

Try changing a file that is in Evernote and then check your documents folder to see if the file is updated there.  Add a new file to Evernote and see if it shows up in your documents folder.  I'm a Mac user.  Maybe this is something specific to Windows.

I just added a new file right before this comment. Its a few folders deep here

image.png.1a3d99c787afc99a55a67947a44bfb4e.png

• Level 5*

Ok, it looks like Windows stores files differently from a Mac.  Unless someone else steps in and can help, time for a support request.

In the new version my old Notebooks are not available anymore (with 1 exception. An old notebook from 2021 is present in the new version directly without any action from my side). The tab Tools - (sync) local files does not exist and in settings - user - evernote - roaming... nothing is available; in documents - Evernote only templates which I once created, exist.
So in my case it seems that my old notebooks are really not existing anymore. I use the windows versions, free version.
I have not contacted the Evernote service department yet.
Has someone an idea what to do? Will be very much appreciated.

• Level 5
23 hours ago, whyisthissohard said:

I just added a new file right before this comment. Its a few folders deep here

image.png.1a3d99c787afc99a55a67947a44bfb4e.png

The key here is "external edits". That's for temporary storage of items that are edited from within Evernote, then re-attached to their notes, I think. I've got stuff in there that is from a couple of weeks to over a year old, and I presume could be deleted (I don't know if Evernote purges them automatically at any point). Attachments as such should be by default in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache\User########. If you move the storage location of your Evernote data, that should go with it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, KeyWest said:

In the new version my old Notebooks are not available anymore (with 1 exception. An old notebook from 2021 is present in the new version directly without any action from my side). The tab Tools - (sync) local files does not exist and in settings - user - evernote - roaming... nothing is available; in documents - Evernote only templates which I once created, exist.
So in my case it seems that my old notebooks are really not existing anymore. I use the windows versions, free version.
I have not contacted the Evernote service department yet.
Has someone an idea what to do? Will be very much appreciated.

Welcome to the forums. You're raising a problem that's quite different from what's under discussion in this thread, and you'd probably do better to start a new one.

But since you're here, the first thing to check would be the Web client (https://www.evernote.com/client/web). If everything is there, then it's safe; that's the direct view into your notes on Evernote's servers, and you can always work there. It can take awhile for Evernote to completely create the new database of your notes that v. 10 uses, so not everything might show up at first.

I'm not quite following everything you're asking. "The tab Tools - (sync) local files": local notes do not exist in v. 10, if that's the question. Take a look at this blog post: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning, esp. the section "How to prepare for legacy decommissioning," regarding local notes. C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\ is where Evernote data is stored by default in Windows--but I would strongly recommend not messing around in there, esp. if your complete database may not have downloaded yet. Hope this is some help.

• Level 5*
On 3/19/2024 at 7:40 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

The key here is "external edits".

Yeah - Windows can't open a file directly from a note - attachments are encoded somehow - so Evernote extracts the original file format for you (or another app) to edit,  then will import the changed version back into the Evernote app.  But for reasons best known to Windows,  Evernote can't then tidy up and just delete the duplicate,  so it just stays there.  I've deleted the contents of my folder once or twice without any obvious issues.

• Like 1