Problem Accessing Encrypted Text - Web and Version 10

• Level 5

Hi all - 

image.png.c500302003383f81407b3a3e66211586.png

The following text, which I included in my ticket to Evernote support, describes what I am seeing. Have any of you experienced this? 

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue with accessing encrypted text in Evernote, both on the web and Windows versions. When I try to access encrypted text, a blue popup appears. If the popup is on-screen, I know I need to close it before I can do anything else in Evernote.

The problem arises when I have multiple encrypted text scattered throughout long notes. If I click on encrypted text that's further down in the note, the blue popup appears next to an encrypted text block higher up in the note. As a result, the popup is off-screen, and I'm unable to click the X to close it. This forces me to terminate the app and restart it.

To resolve this issue, we need to either disable the blue popup or ensure that it appears next to the encrypted text I clicked on. Can you assist with this?

Thank you.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this, and if anyone knows of a work-around. 

Thanks! 

_____/ Regards,   

____/ al      

• Level 5*

Hi.  That's just the way Evernote's very basic encryption works I'm afraid...  you could maybe use a password-protected word processor file attached to your note for those with several confidential sections - just add an 'executive summary' in the note to feed the search index.  

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005547-Encrypt-text-in-a-note

1 hour ago, jcnassoc said:

Hi all - 

image.png.c500302003383f81407b3a3e66211586.png

The following text, which I included in my ticket to Evernote support, describes what I am seeing. Have any of you experienced this? 

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue with accessing encrypted text in Evernote, both on the web and Windows versions. When I try to access encrypted text, a blue popup appears. If the popup is on-screen, I know I need to close it before I can do anything else in Evernote.

The problem arises when I have multiple encrypted text scattered throughout long notes. If I click on encrypted text that's further down in the note, the blue popup appears next to an encrypted text block higher up in the note. As a result, the popup is off-screen, and I'm unable to click the X to close it. This forces me to terminate the app and restart it.

To resolve this issue, we need to either disable the blue popup or ensure that it appears next to the encrypted text I clicked on. Can you assist with this?

Thank you.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this, and if anyone knows of a work-around. 

Thanks! 

_____/ Regards,   

____/ al      

No, I don't get that popup message on my windows client. What client and what version do you run?

• Level 5
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  That's just the way Evernote's very basic encryption works I'm afraid...  you could maybe use a password-protected word processor file attached to your note for those with several confidential sections - just add an 'executive summary' in the note to feed the search index.  

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005547-Encrypt-text-in-a-note

Howdy, and thanks for the reply.

True, I can work around the issue, but it's just I would think if they tested a note with two encrypted blocks... the first one "up" so far in the note that it can't be seen while accessing the second encrypted block, they would see this is a major defect. I can move all my encrypted blocks to the "top" of the note to resolve this, but I mean the software should be a bit more professional than this. I mean, as a fellow software developer I feel the user experience does need to be taken into consideration. 

Thanks for the reply though!

• Level 5
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

No, I don't get that popup message on my windows client. What client and what version do you run?

I get this both accessing EN on the web (latest Chrome browser on Windows), and on Evernote 10.79.3. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, jcnassoc said:

I get this both accessing EN on the web (latest Chrome browser on Windows), and on Evernote 10.79.3. 

I’ve seen the blue popup as well.  It is temporary.  I’m not sure what caused it to go away for me, maybe a later version.  The blue popup is describing new behavior so they are just bringing it to your attention.  In the past when you wanted to edit an encryption block you needed to permanently decrypt it, then edit, and then encrypt it back. At least that is my understanding of the message.  I haven’t tried editing an encryption block lately to confirm.

SAME ISSUE - ITS A BUG PLEASE FIX IT !!!

MacOS = Sonoma 14.3.1 (23D60)

Evernote = 10.78.8

Notes for Devs:

At the top of the page the pop up shows up, but when scrolling further down its IMPOSSIBLE to decrypt the encrypted text because the pop up is nowhere to be found, yet you can not click anywhere else on the page, or app, so its almost like its 'locked up' since you can not click out, or use the keyboard to escape\tab\etc.   The only two choices are:

1) as 'jcnassoc' described, have to restart the app

2) can go to 'Evernote' menu then -->Settings-->Preferences-->Notes-->Note Width (section @the bottom) --> Switch between the two choices to 'Fit to Windows' OR 'Optimize...' to get the app to respond back. 

Bon chance!

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
On 3/15/2024 at 3:49 PM, PELMENIK said:

SAME ISSUE - ITS A BUG PLEASE FIX IT !!!

MacOS = Sonoma 14.3.1 (23D60)

Evernote = 10.78.8

Notes for Devs:

At the top of the page the pop up shows up, but when scrolling further down its IMPOSSIBLE to decrypt the encrypted text because the pop up is nowhere to be found, yet you can not click anywhere else on the page, or app, so its almost like its 'locked up' since you can not click out, or use the keyboard to escape\tab\etc.   The only two choices are:

1) as 'jcnassoc' described, have to restart the app

2) can go to 'Evernote' menu then -->Settings-->Preferences-->Notes-->Note Width (section @the bottom) --> Switch between the two choices to 'Fit to Windows' OR 'Optimize...' to get the app to respond back. 

Bon chance!

Excellent work-around. Thanks!

On 3/18/2024 at 6:56 AM, jcnassoc said:

Excellent work-around. Thanks!

I upgraded to Evernote 10.80.3... for mac sonoma and still no fix.  I have to use web\mobile version to get the encrypted info out, I do this day in and out and its very counter productive.  Dear Evernote Dev team - any idea when we could have a fix please?

• Level 5
13 hours ago, PELMENIK said:

I upgraded to Evernote 10.80.3... for mac sonoma and still no fix.  I have to use web\mobile version to get the encrypted info out, I do this day in and out and its very counter productive.  Dear Evernote Dev team - any idea when we could have a fix please?

Just FYI, the forums are user-to-user. The Dev team is not here answering questions. Best available option is to report the bug to support: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action. Expect to get one or two robotic responses that seem to be addressed to very inexperienced users. Work through them and hopefully you'll get a meaningful response.