Pin note in a notebook

lprotocassina

Idea

It would be great if we could pin one note at the top of the notebook, very much like Apple Notes does. This way I can always have the "Index" note on top. 

Btw great work, you made me jump back to EN after years. 

Thanks

• Like 1

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, lprotocassina said:

It would be great if we could pin one note at the top of the notebook, very much like Apple Notes does. This way I can always have the "Index" note on top. 

Btw great work, you made me jump back to EN after years. 

Thanks

I would like that as well.  As a workaround you can create a saved search to a note and it can be on top of the saved search list on the left hand pane.  Or, you can pin a note on the Home Screen.  You may or may not see this option since they are currently testing different home screens and not all will allow you to pin a note.

• Like 2

I have a master index note which is always at the top of my shortcuts, so I know can always be accessed using ctrl+1. The master index note then contains the links to all my other index notes. The ability to get to my most important navigation note with a simple keyboard shortcut has now become absolutely essential to my workflow in EN.

• Like 2

I think an "undated reminder" essentially does just this.  Just add a reminder to the note and select "no date."  You add a reminder by clicking on the bell at the bottom of the note.  Whren you do this, a "reminder" tab will appear at the top of the note list when you select the notebook that the note is in, like this:

image.png.31a223d9a5f3382f4aadfed65e43a353.png

Vinnie

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
40 minutes ago, VincentC said:

I think an "undated reminder" essentially does just this. 

I haven't used reminders much since tasks appeared. Clever idea.

45 minutes ago, VincentC said:

I think an "undated reminder" essentially does just this.  Just add a reminder to the note and select "no date."  You add a reminder by clicking on the bell at the bottom of the note.  Whren you do this, a "reminder" tab will appear at the top of the note list when you select the notebook that the note is in, like this:

I like this workaround, thank you. Although it does not fully replace pinning a note at the top, this way I can easily find the index note of the project. 

55 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I have a master index note which is always at the top of my shortcuts, so I know can always be accessed using ctrl+1. The master index note then contains the links to all my other index notes. The ability to get to my most important navigation note with a simple keyboard shortcut has now become absolutely essential to my workflow in EN.

Interesting, I didn't know about this CMD(CTRL)+"nr", I have to think how to implement it now 

• Like 1

Thanks for championing the non-dated reminder for pinned notes idea @VincentC

I agree with many in this thread...it's really just a workaround and having a way to officially pin notes to the top of a notebook list AND control the order of them would be super functional for those of us who rely on notebooks for project management.

Legacy Evernote handled this need more elegantly than v10 does in 3 key ways (adding them here in hopes that the product team looks at these comments):

1. Non-dated reminder appeared pinned at the top of the note list which was slightly more efficient than needing to tab over to the Reminders tab as you must do in v10 (seeing them in one list vs having to click over to a new tab is less clicks)
  2. If you had multiple non-dated reminder notes, you could drag/drop the order of them and it would hold even if you changed the sort on the notebook. In v10, the notes with reminders re-sort to reflect the current sort order of the notebook. (I used to purposely order my non-dated reminders because they served a priority function for me that was independent of the current note sort in the notebook (which, related request – note sort order should also be a setting that is remembered on a notebook by notebook basis when you "save current view"). 
  3. Clicking on a stack would show you all the pinned / reminder notes that are in the notebooks of that stack (super helpful in several business workflows that I taught for years). v10 doesn't show you the reminders tab for the notes that live in the stack notebooks. Why it doesn't, I don't know...seems like it should. People complain all the time about not being able to have notebooks nested in notebook. A key organizational feature that helps with this constraint is the ability to see those "pinned" reminder notes in the notebook AND stack. So, why they are not letting us creatively use this feature by hiding it from stack view...I don't know. 

Other issue: Non-Dated reminder is a terrible name for what we are really using this feature for. A pin or staple (?) is a much better description of what we're trying to accomplish. This creates some name confusion with the Pinned Note Home widget (maybe that could be "Featured Note Widget")? They are different functions and I think the name should reflect what they are used for.

Evernote Teams offers pinned notes in Spaces (a concept that doesn't appear in the individual plans). So, Evernote knows there is a use case for this and they've created a solution for it in Teams accounts.

I vote for them to bring the idea of a pinned note (for a notebook) to the individual plans in a well though out way. It doesn't have to be by introducing spaces, but creating a clear way for us to have pinned notes would be powerful. 

Having featured notes in a notebook is a key concept that supports Evernote being used as a project manager. Users want to be able to somehow "feature" notes of priority inside a notebook (not just on home or in shortcuts, which both offer options). 

My 2 cents....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The hack I use for pinning notes in notebooks is to have the notes sorted alphabetically and then to use a . (period) in front of the note name. It skips ahead of the alphabetizing and pushes that note first. That's how I keep the most important reference note first in every notebook.

ex. Sarah Smith's Job Note becomes .Sarah Smith's Job Note