I'm not seeing how to set a default font and paragraph style?

Most if not all my notes are Sans Serif 14 which seems to be readable on my tablet and phone. Is there anyway to make this the default?

Also, the legacy version had a setting where it would match the notes style when you pasted. This was really useful since things you copy from the internet can be in all kinds of fonts and styles.

I find myself having to highlight the entire note then set the font which is ok until you paste something else into the note and you have to do it all over again. This includes single like spacing like when you hit shft + enter to move to the next line.

I would also like to be able to set a default font and size, but it's not an option (yet?).

"Paste and Match Style" is a system-wide feature. It's available in every app. I'm a Mac user, but this certainly isn't just a macOS feature. I use it all the time in Evernote.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Soapm said:

I'm not seeing how to set a default font and paragraph style?

Most if not all my notes are Sans Serif 14 which seems to be readable on my tablet and phone. Is there anyway to make this the default?

Also, the legacy version had a setting where it would match the notes style when you pasted. This was really useful since things you copy from the internet can be in all kinds of fonts and styles.

I find myself having to highlight the entire note then set the font which is ok until you paste something else into the note and you have to do it all over again. This includes single like spacing like when you hit shft + enter to move to the next line.

This has been requested many times (it's on @ferol's wishlist), and I agree, it should be possible and easy to do. For now, the two most workable options (I haven't done either one, but I've seen them recommended) are to create a template with your desired formatting, and always start a new note with that template; or set up a note as you want it, put it someplace easy to get to, and duplicate that note when starting a new note.

• Like 2

I really feel like we got a huge downgrade, I hope the prices drop to match the loss of useful features and the addition of ***** I'll never use. I just need a note keeper to keep my thoughts strait. That's like 1% of what it does now, and the 1% isn't as good a what we had.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You are more than 3 years late to this discussion.

The unified fonts were introduced to make notes look alike on all platforms. I see this as positive, others less so.

This change is there to stay. For your stated goal of plain note taking it shouldn’t make a difference at all.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You are more than 3 years late to this discussion.

The unified fonts were introduced to make notes look alike on all platforms. I see this as positive, others less so.

This change is there to stay. For your stated goal of plain note taking it shouldn’t make a difference at all.

I disagree that this is a universal positive. I always use a serif font in my InDesign documents for print. I want this as my default style in Evernote as well. I know this has been on the table forever, but it is yet another aspect that I find annoying. Every time I paste into a note "Paste and Match Style" doesn't work, and pastes as a "Mixed" style. I don't want that. It wasn't an issue in the legacy version. In any event, I hope they resolve this soon. It's quite tedious to re-style every element.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
17 hours ago, Soapm said:

I really feel like we got a huge downgrade, I hope the prices drop to match the loss of useful features and the addition of ***** I'll never use. I just need a note keeper to keep my thoughts strait. That's like 1% of what it does now, and the 1% isn't as good a what we had.

I guess my viewpoint would be ***** you'll never use might be ***** that someone else finds useful, and they get a vote too. (Believe it or not, Evernote Legacy had features that not everyone used either.) If you truly only need a note keeper to keep your thoughts straight, then what does it matter what the fonts look like? (The default font in the new UI is a sans serif 15 point, which I find pretty readable everywhere, but of course needs differ.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@chilee There is nothing to resolve, because there are by design not device specific fonts. This is no mistake, it is intentional. InDesign is a page layout program - EN is a note taking app.

These are as far apart in their respective focus as they can possibly be. The EN editor will preserve the content - but not the layout. If you want to preserve an InDesign document, attach the file.

If you don’t like it, send feedback.

If you can’t use it, go watching for an alternative.

What legacy did or didn’t do is of no importance. EN never promised to build a clone, and legacy is no measure for the new client. Each software has its own strengths.

• Like 1

Besides the font, being able to have a default size was the biggest thing I lost. I used 14 which I can see on my phone, tablets etc... this version of Evernote will paste in a 26 or a 34 from websites. The legacy version had a setting where we could tell it to use the destination format.

Looking at your responses, you convey an attitude that you took our money which we paid for one product, switched the product and said, "here, love it. It's all you get" . You should at least give us the option of keeping the product we paid good money for? I don't get your attitude...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Don't know which websites have fonts that large.

My web clips have similar font sizes as the notes do: Main Headers will be roughly 25pts, clipped text will show in 15pts.

You never paid for any app. All EN apps are free to download and use. You paid for a cloud service when you subscribed. The services you got as a subscriber were controlled on the server, there was never a specific app just for subscribers.

The service is running the v10 clients as official front end since September/October 2020. It was your personal decision not to use it, but to employ a deprecated, unsupported old client instead. Whenever you renewed your subscription since then (which probably was several times), you subscribed with the knowledge that the only client officially in use was v10.

There are solid reasons to cut all old clients from accessing the server now. You can get the new client free of charge, for all your devices on all supported platforms. Download, install, log in, enjoy.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Don't know which websites have fonts that large.

My web clips have similar font sizes as the notes do: Main Headers will be roughly 25pts, clipped text will show in 15pts.

You never paid for any app. All EN apps are free to download and use. You paid for a cloud service when you subscribed. The services you got as a subscriber were controlled on the server, there was never a specific app just for subscribers.

The service is running the v10 clients as official front end since September/October 2020. It was your personal decision not to use it, but to employ a deprecated, unsupported old client instead. Whenever you renewed your subscription since then (which probably was several times), you subscribed with the knowledge that the only client officially in use was v10.

There are solid reasons to cut all old clients from accessing the server now. You can get the new client free of charge, for all your devices on all supported platforms. Download, install, log in, enjoy.

You want to argue over the size of font other websites use and in no way address the issue of not being to paste matching the destination format?

I remember posting about the new version when it came out and was told I could stay on the old and not upgrade if I didn't want to the new features. That's what I paid for, but now you're taking them away.

No need responding, as soon as I get some free time I'll look into an application to replace this one. This is really like taking a guys Bently, giving him a Pinto then wonder why he wants to keep driving the Bently?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I‘m not YOU, just another user.

I know that when a user insisted on a certain feature, support may have told them to stay with legacy for the moment.

This changes nothing about the fact that you never had to pay for any client - you always paid for the cloud service (or not, if on Free).

You now can take v10 as it is, or switch to another app. Actually I don’t care, it was your own choice to stick with legacy, it is your own choice now again.

Coming back to your initial question: You can simplify any web clip (click on the top of the frame, where it says Web Clip, click on the magic wand that appears).

This converts the web clip to a simpler format, and this you can change, for example in font size.

• Level 5
On 3/11/2024 at 7:25 PM, Soapm said:

Besides the font, being able to have a default size was the biggest thing I lost. I used 14 which I can see on my phone, tablets etc... this version of Evernote will paste in a 26 or a 34 from websites. The legacy version had a setting where we could tell it to use the destination format.

Looking at your responses, you convey an attitude that you took our money which we paid for one product, switched the product and said, "here, love it. It's all you get" . You should at least give us the option of keeping the product we paid good money for? I don't get your attitude...

I've seen that Evernote often pastes in header styles, even when using Paste and Match Style / Ctrl+Shift+V. These can get interpreted as Medium or Larger Header in Evernote's system. Selecting and changing to Normal Text fixes this. It's a bit of an aggravation.

WRT what "we" have done, please recall that these are user-to-user forums. None of us took your money. You can talk to Evernote at feedback@evernote.com.

22 hours ago, Soapm said:

I remember posting about the new version when it came out and was told I could stay on the old and not upgrade if I didn't want to the new features. That's what I paid for, but now you're taking them away.

Of course, that was over 3 years ago. I don't think it was meant to be a promise forever and ever, especially after Evernote introduced the new note structure to facilitate the new sync method--which Legacy couldn't use, necessitating a duplicated storage of data that couldn't keep on indefinitely. At least, so I understand it.

So this is a note taking app where you can't even change the default font (even for display), nor use more than a few ill-chosen colours. Some kind of notepad then?

In other words: it sucks.

• Level 5

Your opinion sucks - my opinion.

EN has a no frills editor that is focussed on exactly the purpose of this app: Taking notes.

It is putting my content first, second and third - not the ability for decoration.

• Level 5
4 hours ago, Filemon said:

So this is a note taking app where you can't even change the default font (even for display), nor use more than a few ill-chosen colours. Some kind of notepad then?

In other words: it sucks.

I guarantee you 100% and would bet the mortgage on it: if Evernote offered more fonts, made it possible to change the default, and tripled the number of font and highlight colors, masses of people would post here complaining that they are wasting their time on trivia that nobody needs instead of fixing dire issues. I would not agree with that viewpoint; but I also don't agree that the limited colors and even the lack of a selectable default font (which I wouldn't mind having) is a deal-breaker.

• Like 1

A setting to choose a default font would certainly be nice. When it comes to matching fonts, that just isn't possible. Fonts have to be licensed and vary across platforms. PDF was designed to solve this problem.