Outlook Add-In not working

As of this morning (Monday March 4), my Outlook add-in is not working. I'm talking about the add-in that converts emails to notes in EN, not the calendar thing. Tried re-installing it.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I will open a support ticket, but don't expect that to yield anything...

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Short-term work-around - forward or BCC copy emails to your Evernote email address.  (I have rules set up in Outlook to auto-forward some emails).  I suggest you raise a support ticket anyway - it'll take a while for the team to respond.  Meantime what are your device / OS / Outlook and Evernote versions?

Same problem here. Windows 10, Evernote 10.78.2 public, just updated this morning and that's when the problem started. Outlook 365.

I had a rule setup to email, but then I started getting messages that the email was undeliverable. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  If it's hitting both OS's you need to send in your support requests and wait for Evernote to take notice.  It seems unlikely,  but if mail is getting rejected by Evernote maybe the '365 mail sender got itself banned...

No ideas from me I'm afraid - please let us know when you get a reaction from Support..

29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  If it's hitting both OS's you need to send in your support requests and wait for Evernote to take notice.  It seems unlikely,  but if mail is getting rejected by Evernote maybe the '365 mail sender got itself banned...

No ideas from me I'm afraid - please let us know when you get a reaction from Support..

Ok, I feel kind of silly asking, but I have not been able to track down how to put in a ticket. I saw the link in your bio and clicked on it, and the support link took me back to EN web.

• Level 5*

Yeah - the link is confusing.  In theory you can log in as you,  or use the 'guest' link to get in,  and then if you have a look around the help pages you'll either get a form to fill in,  or you'll find the actual Support link at the bottom of the page...

5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yeah - the link is confusing.  In theory you can log in as you,  or use the 'guest' link to get in,  and then if you have a look around the help pages you'll either get a form to fill in,  or you'll find the actual Support link at the bottom of the page...

So there isn't a link to setup a ticket? I'm not liking EN like I was "before". 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, kkarney said:

As of this morning (Monday March 4), my Outlook add-in is not working. I'm talking about the add-in that converts emails to notes in EN, not the calendar thing. Tried re-installing it.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I will open a support ticket, but don't expect that to yield anything...

I have the same issue

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I was able to get a ticket started by emailing the feedback address. 

I submitted a ticket for this issue, but so far have not received a confirmation email that they received it -- which used to happen immediately after a ticket was submitted.  Makes me think that they have cut back on support, even for long-time ( since 2011) paying customers with multiple accounts like me. 

I submitted a ticket and received an e-mail response that indicated some things to check, like restarting. It's not obvious, but I had to reply to that e-mail to push the ticket through to support. I then received a response that it was forwarded to their developer team or something like that. I haven't been able to confirm that they are going to fix it only that the team is running verifications and that it will take technical time. Hopefully they are recognizing that this is a systemic issue. Hopefully more people are submitting tickets. 

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Just to remind everyone - one workaround here is simply to forward emails to your Evernote account address...  you can add reminders / assign notebooks and add tags in the process.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005347

Thanks for this, and of course, this is the workaround I am using. But the result in Evernote is not the same as when using the Evernote Add In button. For one thing, the snippet view shows the forward info and not a relevant section of the email. I hope they fix it soon… 

Really do not like the workaround, have used off and on for years. The main/only reason I am still with Evernote an paying the added $$ for premium is this add-in. How do we send to CS? I see people say that is an exercise in futility, but this functionality is critical. mammal used to have a program called mailbutler that would do the same thing, but Apple changed the mail functionality and it no longer worked. Hoping this is just a bug and not the same issue with outlook. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Cliff TxMac said:

How do we send to CS?

https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - you get a boilerplate "have you tried this" response to try and take the pressure off the department;  please reply to that to get more attention.  It will still take a while.  Another lengthy workaround is:  if you have a Gmail account,  there's a google add-in which does the same thing.  If you don't have a Gmail account,  Google will happily import your non-Gmail mail by IMAP from any another account and you can still use the add-in.

I've seen comments that Evernote gave up on the Outlook add-in,  but I think that was the older versions.  AFAIK Outlook 365 should still have that option available from the MS Store.

5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - you get a boilerplate "have you tried this" response to try and take the pressure off the department;  please reply to that to get more attention.  It will still take a while.  Another lengthy workaround is:  if you have a Gmail account,  there's a google add-in which does the same thing.  If you don't have a Gmail account,  Google will happily import your non-Gmail mail by IMAP from any another account and you can still use the add-in.

I've seen comments that Evernote gave up on the Outlook add-in,  but I think that was the older versions.  AFAIK Outlook 365 should still have that option available from the MS Store.

Thank you! I was hoping with the price increases that might lead to an upgrade in CS. That being said, hoping they keep it as it is critical functionality for a lot of users getting notes in. The work around leads to a much messier notes section for me. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I have never been able to get the Add In to work on my Gmail accounts, so for these emails, I use the “forward” workaround. But the Add In has been perfect in Outlook forever and definitely has been one of the main reasons I have stayed with Evernote for as long as I have. Now giving some thought to using Dropbox more, especially as many here are suggesting that Evernote may be dying a slow death. How I will convert the 60,000 pages of notes I have filed in Evernote remains an overwhelming task to contemplate however. 

• Like 1

I use the Evernote add-in with Gmail. It's not as seamless as the Outlook add-in usually is, but it generally works. However, I am also receiving "unknown error" with the Gmail add-in this week. So it may be a connected problem. Are others successfully using the gmail add-in this week?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, savannagirl said:

many here are suggesting that Evernote may be dying a slow death

Since Evernote started out as market leader with literally millions of users,  I think it would be a very very slow death if it happens - and a lot of folks in the Forums seems to take a perverse delight in forecasting doom and destruction,  where all I can see at the moment are interesting possibilities...

Have a look at Federico on YouTube for more - https://workflowy.com/#/333244814eba or @Jon/t on Substack - https://tamingthetrunk.substack.com/p/a-quick-catch-up-new-evernote-features

But if you're happy with the current service (apart from this item!) why worry about changing?  Wait until you're finding Evernote a real problem - you can waste a lot of time researching alternatives and learning how to use them!

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Since Evernote started out as market leader with literally millions of users,  I think it would be a very very slow death if it happens - and a lot of folks in the Forums seems to take a perverse delight in forecasting doom and destruction,  where all I can see at the moment are interesting possibilities...

Have a look at Federico on YouTube for more - https://workflowy.com/#/333244814eba or @Jon/t on Substack - https://tamingthetrunk.substack.com/p/a-quick-catch-up-new-evernote-features

But if you're happy with the current service (apart from this item!) why worry about changing?  Wait until you're finding Evernote a real problem - you can waste a lot of time researching alternatives and learning how to use them!

If you would like to see the enthusiasm for demise, just follow on Reddit, they have been trying to kill it for years.

However, there are issues that keep creeping up, taken by themselves do not amount to much, but cumulative and then add this as a big one for me the ship seems listless. Don't want to be that whiner threatening to leave everyday as the thought of trying to rebuild after 15 years of use, albeit mostly the free version up until 5 years ago, gives me nightmares!  However with the recent price increase, I would hope some of it would go to more than just increased margins on a cash cow business. I don't mind paying a little extra (Or a lot extra after this last increase) as long as the functionality stays relevant for my use. It seems like most of the recent "upgrades" are aesthetic, while the functionality continues to whither, but it could only be my opinion.

Hope they get this one fixed. 

13 hours ago, savannagirl said:

I submitted a ticket for this issue, but so far have not received a confirmation email that they received it -- which used to happen immediately after a ticket was submitted.  Makes me think that they have cut back on support, even for long-time ( since 2011) paying customers with multiple accounts like me. 

They have no support whatsoever. Canned responses telling you to come here, and that's it. This baloney about how they're "restructuring" or "backed up" is just empty rhetoric. They apparently just don't have a support team for EN. Hope they don't treat their other products/customers like this.

Call me perverse, but the general rule of thumb is that if you pay for software, you get support.

32 minutes ago, Cliff TxMac said:

If you would like to see the enthusiasm for demise, just follow on Reddit, they have been trying to kill it for years.

However, there are issues that keep creeping up, taken by themselves do not amount to much, but cumulative and then add this as a big one for me the ship seems listless. Don't want to be that whiner threatening to leave everyday as the thought of trying to rebuild after 15 years of use, albeit mostly the free version up until 5 years ago, gives me nightmares!  However with the recent price increase, I would hope some of it would go to more than just increased margins on a cash cow business. I don't mind paying a little extra (Or a lot extra after this last increase) as long as the functionality stays relevant for my use. It seems like most of the recent "upgrades" are aesthetic, while the functionality continues to whither, but it could only be my opinion.

Hope they get this one fixed. 

I have no interest at all in reading about enthusiasm for the demise of anything. There’s enough of it going around in the world for bigger issues than an app!  🤣 what a bummer that their CS has dwindled to the extent that it has. I remember the days when the phone number was posted right on the account page, and you could call and get a smart helpful empathetic human on the phone without much wait time. Oh well. 

1 hour ago, savannagirl said:

I have no interest at all in reading about enthusiasm for the demise of anything. There’s enough of it going around in the world for bigger issues than an app!  🤣 what a bummer that their CS has dwindled to the extent that it has. I remember the days when the phone number was posted right on the account page, and you could call and get a smart helpful empathetic human on the phone without much wait time. Oh well. 

Reddit almost as bad as a Youtube comment thread! Completely toxic. 

Hopefully they can get this fixed!

I got a response from support (boilerplate, of course). Note that this is the EXACT SAME boilerplate I got just now for my latest ticket, which was just me asking if there was any chance on god's green earth that they might actually answer a support request this century.

They want me to make sure I have good internet connection 🙄, reboot my device, update my browser, clear my cache, update EN (which is of course what got us into this bind to begin with), sign out and sign back in. If that doesn't work, they want activity logs.

I'm thinking that since there are at least 10 other users I know of (between this post and Reddit) with the same issue, that maybe it's a bug in the update. Crazy talk, I know.

Hopefully one of their developers will stumble on the bug and get it fixed in the next release. Cuz I doubt they're gonna pay any attention to us lowly users.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, geogavino said:

I use the Evernote add-in with Gmail. It's not as seamless as the Outlook add-in usually is, but it generally works. However, I am also receiving "unknown error" with the Gmail add-in this week. So it may be a connected problem. Are others successfully using the gmail add-in this week?

My gmail add-in has been working this week.

Holy *****! I got a real response from a human! They have passed this issue on to the developers.

Now I have to go wrap myself in a blanket, as I'm in shock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I wasn't happy they dropped the legacy system recently. This is just another straw on the camel's back. 

All - As it seems everyone following this thread uses Evernote similarly for Outlook emails, has anyone found a good alternative for storing emails? I know Evernote is a lot of things to a lot of people, used in a multitude of different ways but I use it mainly as my file cabinet for storing emails and scanning important documents so this Outlook integration is very important for me.

My issue is the learning curve with a new program and then finding out it does not store emails well. 

If it is not fixed, or an ongoing problem, is there a good alternative for this specifically anyone has found. I cannot go back to the horrible days of folders on my Outlook. My brain does not function that way at all. 

Anyone researched yet or might have a good suggestion? Just looking at options, don't want this to become a gripe session   

The "send to OneNote" option in Outlook works well and is fast to use, if you aren't opposed to using OneNote to store emails. I personally don't like the way email addresses appear (or don't appear, in some cases) in OneNote, so while I'm still in Outlook I grab the header and Ctrl + C. Then click "send to OneNote," select the appropriate section, and when the email opens in OneNote I then grab the table header and Ctrl + V to replace it with the full header I just copied in Outlook.

It isn't a one-to-one replacement for the EN/Outlook integration, but for my use case it gives me everything I need and doesn't take any longer to execute. One nice thing about sending to OneNote is that you can append the email to an existing note, so maintaining a cohesive thread of messages in a single, scrollable screen (with collapsible/linkable headers, if you like) is super easy.

I don't know if it will do everything you want but may be worth a try.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, thefryhole said:

The "send to OneNote" option in Outlook works well and is fast to use, if you aren't opposed to using OneNote to store emails. I personally don't like the way email addresses appear (or don't appear, in some cases) in OneNote, so while I'm still in Outlook I grab the header and Ctrl + C. Then click "send to OneNote," select the appropriate section, and when the email opens in OneNote I then grab the table header and Ctrl + V to replace it with the full header I just copied in Outlook.

It isn't a one-to-one replacement for the EN/Outlook integration, but for my use case it gives me everything I need and doesn't take any longer to execute. One nice thing about sending to OneNote is that you can append the email to an existing note, so maintaining a cohesive thread of messages in a single, scrollable screen (with collapsible/linkable headers, if you like) is super easy.

I don't know if it will do everything you want but may be worth a try.

Thank you! That is #1 on the list, but I am dreading a new learning curve, hoping EN fixes the integration! 

Does the Evernote add-in not show up at all in Outlook or does it just not work?

I might be wrong but since they had replaced the old COM/VST add-in with the newer architecture (from the Microsoft add-in store) it only works with Microsoft mail adresses like outlook.com, hotmail.com.... 
If I select another account/Inbox (e.g. an IMAP account) the symbol from the Evernote add-in (and others like Todoist and Trello) won't even show up.

I am having this exact same problem with Windows 11 and outlook. It was working flawlessly up until March 3 as far as I know.

The "Save to Evernote" add-in now keeps coming up with the "internal error", urging me to contact "evernote support".

I just got an email from support...try it again! Mine is now working! 

Thank you for your patience!

We're glad to confirm that our team was able to resolve the Outlook add-in issue you kindly flagged up. You should now be able to clip emails into Evernote, and your experience should be back to its best.

• Like 1