Being forced to sign up for paid version? - help please! :-)

Hi, I would kindly like to ask for some help and understanding about my account. I am on the free version.
a) I have been receiving pop-up’s asking me to upgrade to a paid version. There is no “X” to get out of the screen - the only option to get out is “Remind me later”.  Which it does! - very frequently! Is there a way to stop this pop-up from coming up? (or at least not frequently), or to get out of it once it does without having to click “remind me later”?  (It is not my desire to upgrade to a paid version). And, related:

b) Next, I received a pop-up/prompt giving me the info about a paid version plan.  There was NO way to “X” out of this. The ONLY option was for me to sign up for a free 7-day trial then you pay for the next version up trial. Which, after swiping out the Evernote app repeatedly & this same message with no “X”-ing out of it continuing to come up repeatedly, I reluctantly signed up for that. Then it allowed me to access my notes.  But I do not want the trial.  I am about to cancel it, but my question is: Am I going to have to repeatedly sign up for these trials because Evernote is going to continue FORCING me to do that?  Is there any way to stop being forced into having to do that???  From what Evernote says on their site, unpaid versions are okay…..! 🤷‍♀️  Would love any help — Thank you SOOO much!! 🙂 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, SYoung1978 said:

From what Evernote says on their site, unpaid versions are okay

Hi.  Unpaid versions are limited to a total of 50 notes and one notebook,  accessible from 2 devices only.  If you already have more than 50 notes etc,  then you won't be able to create new notes.  Free accounts are now limited to a trial access only,  not something for long term use.

If one of your devices is a desktop PC you will be able to export your notes to ENEX, HTML or PDF files to transfer them to a new service,  but there's no way to avoid the frequent reminders meantime.  If you have signed up for a free trial you have a few days to take action before your account is charged,  and you may be able to opt for monthly payments so that you can cancel quickly.

You'll need to go to a web page - https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action - and scroll to the very bottom to cancel your subscription.

If you are seeing screens that don't have an easy exit,  do make sure that you don't have any screen magnification options set.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The Free plan since a few month in fact is nothing more than a trial.

If you want to use it for extended use, it is no fun. I would avoid it.

But it can be done... I have tested it with colleagues who are on free accounts yet...

They do everything on my shared notebooks and have preloaded spare notes that they just update. They don't need to produce a lot of notes, rather they edit the same ones over and over...

So that's how they use over 6000 notes on free accounts. They can't add tags, but they don't need to.. those are managed by me.

I've been testing it like this for a couple of months now, and for what I need to address with those particular people, it's enough, and they don't mind the pop-ups so far..

• Level 5
5 hours ago, ferol said:

But it can be done... I have tested it with colleagues who are on free accounts yet...

They do everything on my shared notebooks and have preloaded spare notes that they just update. They don't need to produce a lot of notes, rather they edit the same ones over and over...

So that's how they use over 6000 notes on free accounts. They can't add tags, but they don't need to.. those are managed by me.

I've been testing it like this for a couple of months now, and for what I need to address with those particular people, it's enough, and they don't mind the pop-ups so far..

Thank you for this very clear instructional message. I'm sure it will be very useful to Evernote when they get around to shutting down this kind of "workaround." 😅

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

shutting down this kind of "workaround."

You're mean!  :D 

Actually I think this is -possibly- reasonable for families,  small businesses or self-employed support workers - the cost (and Admin!) of Teams seats or multiple copies of Personal is prohibitive,  but some 'free' accounts solve the issue,  and if there's an actual use involved,  there's a real(er) chance that one or more of the free accounts will also buy a Personal subscription to use for themselves...  maybe.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It is by no means a workaround. The paid accounts are sold among other features with the sharing argument. Professional and Teams are even advertised as being „hubs“ for sharing notes and Tasks, assigning content to others.

It is a bit mixed from my experience: Say Subscriber A shares a notebook with B, a Free user. All notes created by A in that notebook belong to A, count into his upload margin and don‘t count into B‘s allowance of 50 notes. But B can only save up to 25MB into that note. Going above is not possible, citing the Free upload limit, even if that note does belong to A and should have a 200MB limit. A is able to store up to 200MB.

The upload is limited to the Free margin, but uploading will not count against the Free users allowance of 60MB per 30 days - it is counted against the subscribers upload. It is blocked when reaching 25MB, even if from the account stats B is not uploading at all.

If now B creates a note in the notebook shared by A, this counts against the Free limits. And it counts into the upload, even when the note is created in a notebook owned by A.

I use these Free accounts on my freelancing projects from time to time. If the notes are habitually created by my paid account, the Free users are pretty autonomous in their use of the accounts. I never had a problem to run a full project over several months on such a structure of my Professional account as the hub, and several Free accounts as spokes, located on on shared project notebook. I just need to always keep some fresh notes available for who needs to use them.

Several projects - several shared notebooks, several spokes of Free accounts. The nice thing is each group will only see „their“ notebook. Only myself can see everything. At the end of a project I withdraw access, and close the project by exporting it to an ENEX file for archiving.

It works like a SharePoint, but much simpler and easy to set up without the trouble.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Actually I think this is -possibly- reasonable for families

Me too, since my wife is on a free account.  She doesn’t use Evernote but will occasionally access shared notes from me.  The loophole that surprises me is apparently free users can use the clipper to add to accounts over the 50 note limit.  Folks can do that to add new notes and then just edit the content.

• Level 5

We had similar situations before.

First a little individual abuse will not topple the boat.

Second remember device swapping to get around the device limit ? This was how the unsync limit came into the game. It stopped swapping devices. EN can easily close these loopholes - if they decide to do so.

Using a shared notebook from a paid account with Free users is no such loophole: The subscriber pays for the use, and sharing with other users is part of the subscription.

• Like 1