EN Legacy 'can't connect to server' when trying to login AND upgrading to EN10 requirements

This is my first post on the forum (I have previously used the EN support function, but that seems to have in practical terms, disappeared (I have submitted a couple of issues an been directed here).  

Like so many, I have been a EN user for some 12 years (and a paid up one for most of that time).  Also like so many, I preferred the Legacy - the original EN10 had so many faults and so many tings took more steps to do under 10 than in Legacy.  However, EN have improved 10 significantly and I took the step to upgrade my PC to EN10 (a then support engineer told me that I had to do this before he could help me with my 'corrupted' database.  (But no help has come of that - but that is another story not for here)).  I did keep Legacy on my laptop while I got used to EN10.  However I receive the 24/03/2024 deadline but when I went to login on my laptop today, before it got to asking my password, it told that it could not connect to server - please try later (yes, I do have internet access).  Has EN pulled the plug on Legacy a month early?  

Although there are Legacy features that I would like to see in EN10, I accept that nothing lasts for ever and the reasons behind the decision, and am willing to move on (although, it would be nice not to have been kicked out quite so quickly, if that is what has happened).   

But I cannot seem to find what system requirements are for EN10 on Win 10:  my laptop only has 4G RAM and about 11G (10%) free dis space:  is that sufficient to upgrade from Legacy to 10?  Assuming it is so, do I just let it update itself as it offers, or is it better to delete Legacy and download and install EN10? 

I would be very grateful for any advice/ clarification.  

Many thanks in advance

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Server issue: Since some users are reporting it, I think the server just gets more load than he can take. There is an old API for legacy, and it probably can't handle the current traffic. v10 users won't feel it, because they are on a different API.

Legacy and v10 are both installing a local database. 11GB is not enough, by no means. 11GB is too little under all conditions - for a smooth operation a PC should have at least 30GB of free disk space, better 50GB. 11GB is less than what is needed just to unwrap the next larger Windows maintenance package.

When you install v10 without removing legacy, you practically double the drive space needed to locally host the same information.

4GB is a base level of RAM. It will be a bottleneck, which means the OS will fall back to swapping. This will use a part of the little drive space you have left, and will slow down your computer.

If drive and RAM are upgradable, try to upgrade them. If not, I think you should be watching into getting a new computer. Keep in mind that next year support for Windows 10 will stop - and Windows 11 does only run on newer hardware.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ben353253 said:

It's safe to say that Evernote V10 is very poorly written bloatware

Wow.  So incisive.  So specific.  So wrong.  And in 6 posts to the Forums you've specifically (and only) pointed out how bad Evernote is... 

What app do you use for note-taking?

• Like 3
  • Level 5

@ben353253 you have anything to contribute to a question posted here by a fellow user ?

Obviously not, you just want to spray your vitriol.

If you can’t help, stay and learn. If you don’t want to help, you are asked to go troll anyplace else.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

Perhaps you would like presisely point out what is wrong in my reply above?

Just wondered if you were shilling for someone else since you're fixed on complaining rather than bothering to ask for help with specific v10 issues.  I can pretty much guarantee that my database is bigger than yours,  and I'm using v10 (mostly) without problems.  What are your specific issues?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

after being given 4 weeks notice  out of the blue

Sorry you didn't appreciate my attempts at wry humour.  I do have more notes than the average user - 

notes.jpg.9a3dd1414f2e88d6e57a4c8a62fa018b.jpg

- and my point was that even using that data file daily I don't have many problems.  I am genuinely happy to help anyone (who doesn't insult me) try to get around their issues.

You're clearly close-minded to anything but Legacy,  so you have about 25 days to migrate elsewhere.  Enjoy.

(Oh - and the quote above?  The lack of support,  frequent reminders,  red flags and flat-out statements over the past four years or so didn't give you any hints?)

• Like 2
11 hours ago, alainfromepsom said:

my laptop only has 4G RAM and about 11G (10%) free dis space

While I agree that V10 is not a viable option 4G/11G free really isn't much. Since this probably is an older laptop it should be fairly easy and inexpensive to upgrade to 16GB and an SSD.  I did that on several occasions to old notebooks (of the Apple type) and this was a breath of fresh life for these machines. 11G free space is too little, your hard disk will fragment a lot and therefore become slower and slower, and for once that is not something V10 is responsible for. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, ben353253 said:

on that basis Legacy trumps the latest version every single time. 

...for the next 25 days.

EDIT:  I deleted one post here for name-calling...  If anyone wants to contribute here,  asking questions / giving advice / expressing opinions is allowed - from (sadly) anyone.  Constantly harping on about one topic and calling other people trolls - not a good idea.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, ben353253 said:

I'm just speaking up on this hot mess

You seem unable to make the step from Legacy to v10.  As has already been said several times by myself and others - we're able to do whatever we require with v10.  I dubt your needs are so demanding that you're an exception.  There is no 'hot mess' apart from the one you keep referencing.  If you wish to avoid more deletions please see my note above,  and try helping rather than heckling.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, alainfromepsom said:

This is my first post on the forum (I have previously used the EN support function, but that seems to have in practical terms, disappeared (I have submitted a couple of issues an been directed here).  

Like so many, I have been a EN user for some 12 years (and a paid up one for most of that time).  Also like so many, I preferred the Legacy - the original EN10 had so many faults and so many tings took more steps to do under 10 than in Legacy.  However, EN have improved 10 significantly and I took the step to upgrade my PC to EN10 (a then support engineer told me that I had to do this before he could help me with my 'corrupted' database.  (But no help has come of that - but that is another story not for here)).  I did keep Legacy on my laptop while I got used to EN10.  However I receive the 24/03/2024 deadline but when I went to login on my laptop today, before it got to asking my password, it told that it could not connect to server - please try later (yes, I do have internet access).  Has EN pulled the plug on Legacy a month early?  

Although there are Legacy features that I would like to see in EN10, I accept that nothing lasts for ever and the reasons behind the decision, and am willing to move on (although, it would be nice not to have been kicked out quite so quickly, if that is what has happened).   

But I cannot seem to find what system requirements are for EN10 on Win 10:  my laptop only has 4G RAM and about 11G (10%) free dis space:  is that sufficient to upgrade from Legacy to 10?  Assuming it is so, do I just let it update itself as it offers, or is it better to delete Legacy and download and install EN10? 

I would be very grateful for any advice/ clarification.  

Many thanks in advance

Meanwhile, back at the actual questions: Others have reported a temporary inability to get Legacy to connect (e.g. in this thread), but today things seem to be working better. Give it another try, and hopefully it will work.

The Operating system requirements page from Evernote Help and Learning is unfortunately thin on information: Windows 10 and newer, but not memory and disk space. As others have suggested, it probably would be a good idea to add RAM and a new, larger SSD, not only for Evernote but for overall good experience.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Sorry about the interruptions - I think I saw the answer to some of this in another thread (please don't post the same query twice) - 4GB Memory is pretty basic - but companies like Crucial can scan your device and advise whether upgrades are available.  They're certainly worth it,  as are SSD upgrades (again Crucial) - I got one laptop up to 12GB memory (its personal maximum) and added a 1TB SSD which was a revelation.  10% free space is pretty bad - and Evernote needs a lot of storage while setting up.  

https://www.crucial.com/

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, followfreeman said:

Evernote employee, why do you edit my post without asking for permission?

Not sure what happened here.  Normally if a post contains an issue the while thing is removed.  I'm a moderator here but have no ability to edit posts,  just to delete.  As you have less than 5 posts,  yours are subject to approval by a different team,  so might have triggered some anti-spam routine - but as you've seen it's easy enough to add information back if it goes missing.  Apologies for the brief excitement...

6 hours ago, followfreeman said:

People have the right to know how to fix bugs and enable features themselves if you won't do it for them.

I think finding a way to make unauthorised free use of a deprecated product counts as a bit more than 'fixing a bug'...  just note that there is no approval or support from Evernote for any issues relating to this Chinese script or the obsolete software.

• Level 5

Anybody can do with his computer what he wants to do. I didn’t read it all, but to me it seems to be one of these registry hacks that are mainly a proof of concept.

If anybody wants to implement it - it boils down to the same as using a legacy client in general: It is unsupported software. If breaches emerge and damage caused, it’s entirely in the responsibility of the user.

Who places sensitive data into such a repository should know it’s not safe. It can be lost, encrypted or stolen. With the hack permanently employed (it works like an infinite login) the risk is only bigger. The main risk is running legacy itself.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you were logged in into legacy before the servers were cut, you can try if taking the computer offline allows you to open your notes in legacy.

Then export all local notes into ENEX files. One per notebook, and name the files after the notebook. This for importing them into v10 - wich creates cloud copies.

If you want them readable without EN, export to HTML.

If you were not logged in when the server stopped, you need to tweak around the login problem. No other way AFAIK.