Hello,

I have a PDF as an attachment to a note that I edit once a week. I've had this attachment that I edit for several years now. This past Tuesday, I edited the PDF, saved it and exited Evernote. When I now look at the note, the attachment is gone! The note is there and the date of update is correct but there is no attachment. When I look at the note history, there is an entry for previous version that appears to be the correct date & time but when I restore it, the attachment is "Untitled Attachment" and it does not open! Can anyone please help me recover the attachment?

Regards,

Peter Gil

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I suspect that the attachment did not finish syncing before you exited Evernote (which shouldn't happen, but perhaps it can). Have you tried even earlier versions in Note History? If no version in Note History is helpful, your only resort will be to create a support ticket, and be patient while they go through their excruciating process: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action.

8 hours ago, peter.gil said:

Hello,

I have a PDF as an attachment to a note that I edit once a week. I've had this attachment that I edit for several years now. This past Tuesday, I edited the PDF, saved it and exited Evernote. When I now look at the note, the attachment is gone! The note is there and the date of update is correct but there is no attachment. When I look at the note history, there is an entry for previous version that appears to be the correct date & time but when I restore it, the attachment is "Untitled Attachment" and it does not open! Can anyone please help me recover the attachment?

Regards,

Peter Gil

What version of Evernote are you running? I've been hit with this bug (or similar bug) multiple times, albeit not in several months so I had hoped it was fixed. It's possible that EN support may be able to recover the lost file

15 hours ago, peter.gil said:

the attachment is "Untitled Attachment" and it does not open! Can anyone please help me recover the attachment?

I had this effect today with 10.77.3 after re-installing EN10. So I started my PDF viewer explicitely and opened the "untitled" (or "unknown"?) attachment there I saved it locally. Then I closed the PDF viewer and restarted EN (not with [X] - use File->Exit!) and the problem was gone.

Maybe EN10 needs some time to find the propper handling app for attachments...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello - having great toubles with the forum! I could not find my question and the replies. Anyway, I run Evernote every day and I have autoupdate turned on so it updates often. I'm not sure what version I was running when this issue occurred but I'm sure I was up-to-date. I believe there was a brief (so brief I could not read the message entirely) when I tried to save the attachment that said it had trouble uploading it and a copy was saved locally? If that is the case, where would that be located? This happened on my Windows 10 laptop. The PDF is about 11MB by now so I understand if it failed to upload (although I've been openening this file once a week for 4 years without issue). When I go to the history, I can recover the previous weeks version but the current wee's version has the "untitled attachment" that will not open in Acrobat. Is the untitled attachment file the one that was saved locally? If that's the case then maybe it is corrupted and I have lost those edits.

• Level 5

I understand you opened the pdf using Adobe Acrobat to edit it - this means outside of EN ?

What can happen is when you close the file in the external app and return to EN, the changes have not yet synced properly. Further actions in EN can lead to a file corruption (which could happen as well on the OS level if you use a cloud service and sync to it).

I would say that most likely the latest working copy you find in note history is the last not compromised version of that file. Better recreate the edits than try to recover the file somehow.

For the future I would think about this pdf editing method. PDFs were not created with editing in mind. They were output files, freezing the result of an editing session in other apps. Either use a real word processor, or type your edits directly into a note.

10 hours ago, peter.gil said:

When I go to the history, I can recover the previous weeks version but the current wee's version has the "untitled attachment" that will not open in Acrobat. Is the untitled attachment file the one that was saved locally?

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. This used to be a more frequent bug that impacted me a few times. If the edits are important and hard to recreate, you could contact support and they may be able to recover the file for you (they were able to recover for me once). Support can be slow to respond lately. Either way it's worth reporting to support so that they can be aware that there might still be some bugs with PDF handling.

I once also received the "saved locally" message and I believe I was able to find the file in my Evernote cache. on Mac it was in $user/Library/Application Support/Evernote/. On Windows it might be in C:\Users\<your-login-name>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\ (maybe others can confirm; I don't have a Windows PC with Evernote.)

Good luck.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I understand you opened the pdf using Adobe Acrobat to edit it - this means outside of EN ?

What can happen is when you close the file in the external app and return to EN, the changes have not yet synced properly. Further actions in EN can lead to a file corruption (which could happen as well on the OS level if you use a cloud service and sync to it).

I would say that most likely the latest working copy you find in note history is the last not compromised version of that file. Better recreate the edits than try to recover the file somehow.

For the future I would think about this pdf editing method. PDFs were not created with editing in mind. They were output files, freezing the result of an editing session in other apps. Either use a real word processor, or type your edits directly into a note.

So yes - I use Adobe Acrobat Standard. The source file is only available as a PDF. It is a class outline (workbook). I write my notes on the pages as comments and annotations like I would with pen and ink on paper. I used to take all my notes in EN as separate individual notes each day but found it difficult to figure out which note went on which day and on what page of the workbook and also found that the content from the workbook needed to be copied to the note for the note to make sense in most instances so I settled on this new method. I allways hit save when done (and often during) and wait for the save operation to finish before closing Acrobat and then closing the note where the pdf is attached. I do not close EN. This time when I hit save I got the error mentioned earlier about a local copy. I do have all notes set to be available offline so I figured the file was saved somewhere on my local drive. I have looked in the folder mentioned by Lvl4 but could not find the file. There are a number of entries in the Evernote.log file that mention "ResourceUploadError" but I couldn't find anyting in the log referring to a locally saved copy. Thanks everyone. I will consider those edits lost!