Why did I start getting "Client not supported, please upgrade." today on my Mac

This morning when I tried to bring up Evernote on my Mac I got 

Client not supported, please upgrade.

I deleted the application and reinstalled from the App Store but still get the same result.

Still works fine in the browser and on my Andriod.

Help.....

Evernote Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 4.58.39 PM.png

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Suresh Krishna said:

I have the same issue as well

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi. Have you tried the version downloaded from Evernote.com?  What version of MacOS do you have?  

Same message popped up yesterday on a Mac. Evernote shut down on its own. I've not been able to log in again. I've been a paid subscriber for ~ years! I'm using the latest versions of Mac OS and EN. I can access iOS versions without a problem.

• Like 1

I am using a FREE version.  I have the same issue.  Trying to use app on my MAC (Sonoma 14.2).  After a recent reboot, my Evernote will not open. "Client not supported, please upgrade."  Using Evernote 10.38.3-mac-mas-public. v1.53.4

• Like 1
On 2/7/2024 at 11:25 AM, PinkElephant said:

Current version is 10.74 (and 10.75 is around the corner).

You likely just need to update your client.

What does that mean? I'm having the same issue. And I can't get Evernote support to respond. How do I update my client?

• 2 weeks later...

A new version of the software came out that resolved the issue for me.  No announcement or anything, which would have been nice.  "Hey, we fixed the bug, load the new version".  I just kept loading any new versions hoping for a fix and eventually one appeared.  

Hello, I'm using Evernote Beta (paid version) on Ubuntu linux for years and today it failed with 
Client not supported, please upgrade.
But as it was announced Linux will not be supported anymore.
I do not have neither Windows nor MacOs
and I have 20K notes in evernote - that makes Web interface painfully slow.

What is my option now?
I cannot reach my notebooks offline anymore :(

image.png.cbab4e351c0ec0204cbb609b6ae8a151.png
my current version: Evernote-Beta-10.53.2-linux-ddl-beta-3935-bcf2e6bf75

thank you very much for suggestions

14 minutes ago, radimch said:

and I have 20K notes in evernote - that makes Web interface painfully slow.

The only way forward on Linux is to use the web version or try and get somethinh working via Wine.

Try the web app. It had a huge rewrite last October and for large accounts ended up being 16x faster.

5 hours ago, Jon/t said:

The only way forward on Linux is to use the web version or try and get somethinh working via Wine.

Try the web app. It had a huge rewrite last October and for large accounts ended up being 16x faster.

Thank you for a prompt reply.
I've tried the web interface and you're right, it looks usable event with that amount of notes.
Thank you.
Radim

• Level 5

From my experience the web interface is nowadays usable, even with a ton of notes.

The main difference to the installed version for my use case is a lack of export options, and less keyboard shortcuts.

I can do without on my work PC, where I don’t want to install a local client.

Not sure why this error keeps popping up for folks.  The app is smart enough to give you the message that the client is having an issue (and may need an upgrade), but it's stupid enough to not fix itself by offering to upgrade.  People have to post here or read threads like this to sort it out.  I have other software on my computer that knows when more current versions exist and gives me a path to upgrade.  This software sadly does not, so now after spending the time and effort to figure it out, I'll get the upgrade and look into another app that is written better to give my subscription $ to.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I also got the message of Client not supported on my Windows 10 machine. Fixed it by going to the web page of evernote and signing in. Then there was the option to update on the bottom left corner of evernote. I clicked on it to downloaded the update then closed the web browser after it had downloaded and ran the .exe file that I had downloaded. This updated me to the latest version and the message went away when I opened the app and all is well!

cheers

So I was on the free version 10.61.5 for mac. 

Yesterday I got Client not supported, please upgrade.

I downloaded new but now when I log in all my note are missing. 

Please help

Unacceptable behavior for software I have to pay a lot of money for nowadays! I was in the middle of an important tasks and Evernote just stopped working. Then I found out from this topic I had to download the latest version to be able to work again. I lost twenty minutes with that. 
Even most free software shows a message that there is a new version available, but certainly doesn't stop working in the middle of a task. 

Very disappointed in Evernote (again)... 

• Level 5

The data structure behind the older versions are not compatible. The cloud service and the client need to communicate using the same protocol.

Update the client. If this doesn’t happen automatically, download and install the latest version from the EN website.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The data structure behind the older versions are not compatible. The cloud service and the client need to communicate using the same protocol.

Update the client. If this doesn’t happen automatically, download and install the latest version from the EN website.

Do you work for Evernote? I keep seeing your posts in support of bad software practices... don't force me to login on a web browser and download an upgrade. What decade is this? The UX for upgrades is WELL defined by thousands of software packages. giving me a login screen on my app, having me input my user name THEN telling me the client is NOT supported, THEN making me go to a web browser is quite literally software insanity. Meanwhile, this is maybe the 3rd time in less than a month.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 234630.png

1 hour ago, bozat said:

don't force me to login on a web browser and download an upgrade.

You don't have to login to the web to download the latest version. Just click the download button on evernote.com/download

The login screen is built into the app.

Hi, same problem last 10 days (Windows 11), so i need to download/install new version manually every day and that's obviously is not ok, support team seems to me the worst one i've ever met - just ignoring. Maybe someone gets any solution? 
Or similar app, as pay money and do not get any help it's frustrating

• Like 1

Why aren't the outdated versions on Mac updating automatically as normal?  I've used Evernote for 13 years on my Mac, and now when I try to login, suddenly I have to search the forums to find out why I get the message "Client not supported."  Then I discover that I probably have a non-updated software version, and must manually go to the web and downloaded the latest update.   Why all this convoluted process all of a sudden??