too many updates! How to get them to stop

Evernote works fine and I have rarely experienced any major changes in my experience from an update, yet the software has a pop up asking to update every few hours. It's enough to make me want to switch to another platform!

Is there anyway to disable these multiple times a day updates? I don't mind an update every few months, but this is insane.

• Level 5

There are no multiple times a day updates.

If you have this experience, you have a rotten install that tries to renew, fails and repeats it in a loop.

Remove the existing install using the app AppCleaner, restart the Mac and install freshly.

These biweekly updates are so annoying - these days only a greatly outdated software support process makes so frequent application updates. Well managed processes haven't done this for a decade or more! What decade is the software management team from anyway?  Maybe it's time for some fresh thinking.

I have around 100 apps on my Mac. There is only one app that updates every couple of days: Evernote. It is ridiculous. The little red alert pops up on the App Store and I roll my eyes, Evernote again? Yep. It literally is the only app that updates seemingly every week and often just days apart. It's way too much. It makes me suspicious and annoyed and though it shouldn't matter I guess, but it makes me want to delete the app. Have some restraint.

• Level 5*
On 2/9/2024 at 2:43 PM, iegil said:

These biweekly updates

On 2/9/2024 at 8:44 PM, BlueBlah said:

only one app that updates every couple of days

If you're getting updates more frequently than every couple of weeks you have a local problem that can be solved by uninstalling the app via Appcleaner (Mac) or Revo Uninstaller (Windows),  powering your system off and on again,  and re-downloading  / installing the latest version from Evernote.com.

If the two-weekly process is too much of an imposition,  you may need to seek other software.  It certainly doesn't bother me to have frequent bug-fixes and feature upgrades as they become available.

Thank you for the response. I got another update notice today. It's been about 4-5 days since the last one. Bug fixes are fine, but no other app is needing to do bug fixes every two weeks or whatever the frequency is. Are they all writing better code (snark) or is Evernote using the updates as a way to track users or keep drawing attention to the app. It just seems odd to need to fix this often and don't see t be the only one thinking this.

13 minutes ago, BlueBlah said:

Thank you for the response. I got another update notice today. It's been about 4-5 days since the last one. Bug fixes are fine, but no other app is needing to do bug fixes every two weeks or whatever the frequency is. Are they all writing better code (snark) or is Evernote using the updates as a way to track users or keep drawing attention to the app. It just seems odd to need to fix this often and don't see t be the only one thinking this.

It's in vogue as a software development philosophy. Release small software updates early and often rather than waiting to package up "bigger" releases. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, BlueBlah said:

… but no other app is needing to do bug fixes every two weeks or whatever the frequency is. …

Oh, Zoom is pretty close. Teams as well, and others. Maybe all the rest is not trying hard enough ?

They really optimized the update process. It will load in the background, and with a simple tap it will load fast and efficiently. If not, it simply runs with the next program start.

It really is just happening, so where is your problem ?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I will stop my evernote subscription after many years. I use many computer and whenever I start evernote I will install updates, show me new features, it takes my time. And I have no choice to say: Do it allone, don't inform me, no special deals etc.

It doesn't changes - so I quit. 

Too bad.

• Level 5

Your decision - I rather have apps that are under active development.

What’s bugging me about the releases is the lack of basic QA. This often leads to another release to jump fix what the first had broken.

Real updates are fine with me.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been with evernote from the begining and am now looking to replace because of the constant updates.  Does anyone know of a more stable platform to consider?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jkbh4 said:

I've been with evernote from the begining and am now looking to replace because of the constant updates.  Does anyone know of a more stable platform to consider?

Search on Evernote alternatives in the forum and on the web.  You'll be reading for days.  There is no clear winner.  It depends on what you want and need.

Updates work ok here. The frequency that they happen nowadays in EN has indeed increased, I have possibly gotten an update message once every 2 weeks during the last few months, but I prefer this schedule than waiting 2-3 months for a huge update. This new schedule lets us try new features and bug fixes faster and allows the devs to fix things quickly if something breaks.