Please No more I "am off" posts.- nobody cares about you.

• Level 5*

I respectfully disagree, depending on the information provided. There is a reason why exit interviews can be valuable. Just let them vent, and leave them be. Complaining about people complaining is just adding fuel to the fire.

• Like 3

I get people's frustrations though.  Especially if you've been here as long as some of us (October 2008).  It can probably feel like a terrible breakup.  I am less interested in the drama, but if someone is leaving Evernote and wants to detail what they're using now, pros and cons, etc. I'm here for that.  I think that's extremely valuable.  I have some ideas about what's out there in the Notes space, but don't follow it super closely.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Just let them vent, and leave them be. Complaining about people complaining is just adding fuel to the fire.

If they vent accurately, I'm happy to leave them be, but when not, I think stepping in to either try to help them through their problem or point out the error in their information is fair game.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
36 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

I get people's frustrations though.  Especially if you've been here as long as some of us (October 2008).  It can probably feel like a terrible breakup.  I am less interested in the drama, but if someone is leaving Evernote and wants to detail what they're using now, pros and cons, etc. I'm here for that.  I think that's extremely valuable.  I have some ideas about what's out there in the Notes space, but don't follow it super closely.

I agree for people who offer detailed issues that they currently have with Evernote, or details about something they consider better (though that too is using Evernote's money to campaign against them). But those are a minority. Most of the door-slammers just yell and stomp. Esp. obnoxious if they've been using it for free for 10 years or so, and think they're the ones being mistreated. 5 minutes of looking around the forum would reveal that it is populated by other users, and that angry "I'm leaving" threads already exist and can be added to. But no, somehow it seems a better use of their time to create a new thread and yell at Evernote, which isn't here.

@RJLUK, thanks for creating this thread, if only to give the rest of us a chance to vent for a minute! 😅

16 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

If they vent accurately, I'm happy to leave them be, but when not, I think stepping in to either try to help them through their problem or point out the error in their information is fair game.

Agreed, but of course most of the departure-dramatics are not about getting the information correct, and they aren't interested in hearing it. But it can be useful for folks who come later and are actually looking for correct info.

• Like 1

I found it helpful when other people stated their use cases and what other application they found helpful. I heard about Joplin here and it does what I need, not as slick at EN. I especially like the End to End Encryption features. I contributed my old Evernote sub money to Joplin. 

I follow the threads of people waving goodbye because EN changes, with curiosity.

• EN is Information Technology. The very nature of IT is transition. Nothing stays the same, because some people want it to stay the same. Solutions are developing, methodology is being adapted. How can I work in the IT or with IT without taking that into consideration?
  • What I do not understand too, is, how people manage to have 1000 of notes and clippings in one tool and keeping them like treasure. I mean, hell, yes, if you write a novel, this is a treasure. But notes are notes are notes. Every time when I have changed the tool for managing notes, I was doing a big clean up and I deleted every time more than 60% of the accumulated notes.
  • And finally I do not understand the katechism of software users. Software is not a religion, it is not an ideology. It is just a tool. Use it or leave it. 

Simple as that.

• Like 3

I have to say it I read the word ‘nevernote’ one more time I just might smash my device, I don’t know why but it’s not clever it’s just really irritating, like nails on a chalkboard irritating. I don’t want to read peoples terrible attempts at wit and puns whilst they complain about whatever injustice has so crippled their lives. 

Sorry lol I’m lurching into rant 

5 hours ago, truckreferral said:

I found it helpful when other people stated their use cases and what other application they found helpful. I heard about Joplin here and it does what I need, not as slick at EN. I especially like the End to End Encryption features. I contributed my old Evernote sub money to Joplin. 

I especially like Joplin for creating checklists in markdown view, and then having to switch to markdown preview mode to check them off. Very convenient. Or even more convenient to click in between the little brackets, and typing a little 'x' in there. No thanks, I don't want my notes to look like that, could just use Taskpaper or nvalt. Sounds like you might like StandardNotes if you like encryption and lots of options.

-[ ] ~item~

-[x] **item**

-[] item

To the main post topic, I'd tell most of the free-software-enjoyers 'so long', and feel free to come back from shareware world when you can scrape together a hundred bucks. Or don't. Whatever, but we don't need folks to cruft up the forums with stuff we can find with a quick search if we want the info. 'free notes app'. These are evernote forums, not alternativeto.net pages. THAT BEING SAID - If someone has an app they like and want to specifically discuss features and whatnot, I'm onside with that. All this 'WAAAH I'm leaving and maybe I'll go use notesnook or notion or .. something!' Doesn't contribute anything worthy.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Der Eisgraue said:

What I do not understand too, is, how people manage to have 1000 of notes and clippings in one tool and keeping them like treasure. I mean, hell, yes, if you write a novel, this is a treasure. But notes are notes are notes. Every time when I have changed the tool for managing notes, I was doing a big clean up and I deleted every time more than 60% of the accumulated notes.

Not all notes are just 'notes'.  My notes are knowledge and reference acquired over the past 16 years of using Evernote in my profession. I reference things constantly that I may have saved from years ago that have absolutely saved me in given situations. Websites and online references come and go, my notes do not. Colleagues will ask me questions and I'm able to get them the correct answer quickly saving them and our client's valuable time. 

Your use case is not the same as everyone else's. Simple as that.

• Like 4