Hi. I've been using Evernote for years without issues.

Today my old Windows client doesn't connect anymore. It has always functioned perfectly until yesterday.

I'm in the process of migrating to a new rig, which should be ready in a couple of weeks (it's not built yet).

I know I have an old Windows version. That's also why I'm migrating to a new rig. But for the moment I still need to access my old rig.

Here's the log:

Log opened on 2024/01/10 16:40:06 (UTC+1:00)

16:40:06 [5580] Command line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote.exe" 
16:40:06 [5580] Evernote for Windows 5.9.6.9494 (277494) Public
16:40:06 [5580] Client info: Evernote Windows/277494; Windows/6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (Win64);
16:40:06 [5580] Common Editor ce-28.46-release-win (691b2865c5c5e1e5d6e0fbc07b4f16aeb01b43ce)
16:40:06 [5580] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedLastUsed)
16:40:07 [12800] Requesting bootstrap info from "www.evernote.com" (fr-FR)
16:40:07 [12800] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/user
16:40:08 [12800] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=0 parameter="local: userStore.checkVersion"
16:40:08 [12800] Bootstrap info: request to "www.evernote.com" failed, error: timeout
16:40:08 [5580] Could not retrieve fresh bootstrap info, assuming service host "www.evernote.com"
16:40:08 [5580] Setting the service host to "www.evernote.com"
16:40:08 [4524] Announcements feed download failed, error=INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
16:40:08 [4524] * statusCode=0
16:40:08 [4524] * statusText=
16:40:08 [4524] * url=https://announce.evernote.com/?platformProduct=w32-evernote&locale=fr-FR_FR
16:40:23 [5580] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/user
16:40:23 [5580] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=0 parameter="local: userStore.checkVersion"
16:44:54 [5580] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/user
16:44:54 [5580] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=0 parameter="local: userStore.checkVersion"
16:45:13 [5580] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/user
16:45:13 [5580] 0% EDAMUserException: errorCode=0 parameter="local: userStore.checkVersion"

I see two errors: INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED and userStore.checkVersion, which apparently needs to a version issue.

If this is caused by my version being too old (but again, it worked perfectly until yesterday), please tell me a version number which I could upgrade too and which would still work with Windows 7, as I will still be needing it for a couple of weeks. I know Win 7 is old and unsupported, but I hope Evernote isn't deliberately blocking Win 7 users now.

Thank you.

• Evernote Expert

Older versions of Evernote are gradually being withdrawn. The version you have was passed its time when the new v10 releases arrived three years ago.

You will need to try and locate a copy of the installer for version 6.25. Perhaps a service such as FileHippo will help.

In the meantime the web client may be a suitable solution.

• Like 1

It looks like they are starting to block the 6.25 version. I can't believe they are forcing this change! The newest versions are painfully slow!!!!!!!! That is why our company reverted back to the legacy version. Great Job Evernote! We have been customers for 10+ years. I guess all good things come to an end. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

42 minutes ago, sales@timweberding.com said:

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Depends what your use cases are. One person's alternative is another person's headache.

I made a similar journey you are about to embark on about 2 (3?) years ago and came back to Evernote version 10. It was the best fit and easiest migration for my personal use cases despite some warts. There are also some features of v10 that make it better than Legacy for me and I wouldn't want to go back now anyway. Still some things in Legacy that I wish we had in v10, but I just had to adapt a bit -- same as you will for migrating to any other tool.

• Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, Jose de la Mancha said:

You mean version 10.43.7, right ? Not 6.25.

I have found it already on FileHippo, the link was given by somebody in the other topic. I just haven't installed it yet.

No, I meant 6.25 to run with Windows 7 but 10.43.7 might still work. Versions prior to 10.60 are all being deprecated so make a plan for the future while you still can.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, Gefest said:

I have the same problem with 6.25
Version 10 is the worst of all programs - slow, freezes

How do I make 6.25 connect again?

Apologies for being glib, but WRT 6.25 ... get out the marmalade, it's toast. Based on the numerous reports here, Evernote is clearly taking down access from v. 6.25 apps, and there will be no long-term workaround, even if something can be made to work for awhile.

As for v. 10, if you can be more specific about your recent experience with it, hopefully someone here can offer some advice. If you haven't tried it for awhile, it may be that it's improved in the meantime.

Dear all, I cannot use the latest version of Evernote, it is because it may blocked by our company proxy, may please help to enable version 6 again, thank you very much

• Evernote Expert

It was announced over three years ago that version 6.25 would come to an end. It seems that this is now when it is happening. There's is no prospect of v6.25 being restored.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, KingP said:

Dear all, I cannot use the latest version of Evernote, it is because it may blocked by our company proxy, may please help to enable version 6 again, thank you very much

Welcome to the forums. Is your company officially allowing Evernote use by employees? If so, the IT department needs to change whatever setting to get v. 10 allowed. If not, then you're probably skating on thin ice with v. 6, which is no longer supported by Evernote itself. Just my 2 cents.

• Level 5

It is probably worse: Running legacy means intentionally running a deprecated software on a commercial IT network. And this in an environment where gangs of cyberthugs are only waiting to infiltrate the network and extort a ton of money after stealing data and encrypting vital information.

There are mote than a few companies where trying to run unsupported software inside of the network can get you fired and locked out of the corporate network in no time. Under GDRP rules it is an offense (and can be punished) to run unsupported software combined with all sort of sensitive or personal data.

It is not the nice internet back from the Yahoo and early Google years any more, where "hacking" was a description for not paying for long distance phone calls. But some folks obviously believe it will only hit "the others".

• Level 5
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

It is not the nice internet back from the Yahoo and early Google years any more

Ah yes, those remote years of flowers and butterflies, when "Don't be evil" could be said with a straight face....

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Gefest said:

What is the difference between 6.25 and 10 in synchronization?
There is only one Evernote server

Evernote rents server space from Google, so it's hard for any of us to say how much space they use. Back in May 2023, Evernote rolled out a new data structure and Real Time Editing sync. Every note that was opened to be edited had to be converted to this new structure, which initially caused quite a bit of slowdown and used a lot of bandwidth and server resources. (They hadn't done all the backend work they needed to do to prepare for the onslaught, and for a month or more there were serious problems with data loss, but that's in the past.) But v. 6.25 never was updated to use this new sync method and data structure (since it hasn't been updated for anything in several years), which apparently means that notes created or edited in 6.25 would still use the old structure, and need to be maintained on Evernote's servers in a separate area. This of course was costly and complex to do, esp. since some users were using both v. 6 and v. 10. That's how I understand it, anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I am grateful to Evernote for 10 years of work
Of course, I do not intend to upgrade to version 10 with bugs and freezes, as well as continue to pay
Now I have completely moved the 30GB base to Obsidian