Blank "Web Clips"

So I just opened EN on my Windows machine and I noticed that many of my past web clips are now blank. The odd thing is that in the preview under Recently Captured they show the text that should be there. Has anyone experienced this and if so were you able to recover the notes?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

About problem 1, contact support.

About problem 2, uninstall the extension from your browser, restart the browser, reinstall the extension, log in, try.

I would love to contact support but that link just puts me in a loop that never ends. (and yes I followed the advice given in another topic. ie. delete all Evernote.com data after closing all evernote tabs)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Did you try another network (like connecting to a mobile hotspot) yet ?

Some networks may run a firewall, sometimes external routings like the „Private Relay“ feature from Apple will block the communication.

Because it can be multiple issues, it’s often a trial and error process to find the blocking point. What I can confirm is that the support access is up and running normally - I used it myself recently.

@vikensign, that looping issue happens to me as well, but creating a ticket through the option on Android or IOS works fine.  I suggest creating a ticket there with a bare bones explanation of what you are experiencing.  You can elaborate on your issue when you get a contact from support.

Vinnie

22 hours ago, gazumped said:

I deleted the other thread about being unable to contact support since it's dealt with here.  No duplications please...

How was it dealt with?  Nothing  that was suggested worked. Duplicate? It was an entirely different problem that was mentioned in this topic as an aside to this issue. If someone else is having this issue they would never think to look in a post titled "Blank Web Clips" 🤷‍♂️

Thank you @VincentC, it's nice to hear someone else has this issue. Your suggestion worked. I'm not sure they actually received it because there was no acknowledgment/autoresponder email. I guess I will give it a couple days since it seems Support is very backed up...

Looking at my past posts I see that I had this same issue back in 2021, it's not very confidence inspiring that it's still broken.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Nothing has changed. Still can't see many of my web clips and have not heard anything since I sent the info over that support requested. Not very comforting. Definitely rethinking my Evernote usage. I hate to lose data.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, vikensign said:

Just a quick update. Nothing has changed. Still can't see many of my web clips and have not heard anything since I sent the info over that support requested. Not very comforting. Definitely rethinking my Evernote usage. I hate to lose data.

How many Web clips have gone missing? I hate to say it, but pending a helpful response from Support, it might be worthwhile returning to the most significant Websites and clipping them again (assuming you've got the Web Clipper extension working again).

On 1/16/2024 at 11:03 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

How many Web clips have gone missing? I hate to say it, but pending a helpful response from Support, it might be worthwhile returning to the most significant Websites and clipping them again (assuming you've got the Web Clipper extension working again).

I'm not sure how many have gone blank. I have almost 7000 notes. I went through the first 100 notes or so but that is a long process. To bad there is no way to sort notes by what type of clip/note they are.

I'll just have to play it by ear from this point. I am definitely disappointed and am searching for a replacement program. This coupled with the price increase for features I will never use has just about put me over the top.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, vikensign said:

. To bad there is no way to sort notes by what type of clip/note they are..

Choose „Web-Clips“ from the filters menu „contains“ section to see only notes containing a web clip.

If you set a temporary tag on notes reviewed, you can exclude those done from the list.

-tag:DoneTagName

In general you should check the clip result. First clipping goes through several steps, one of which can fail. Second sometimes the web clipper grabs something you don’t want, like a paywall overlay instead of the page beneath.

You can set it to show the resulting note in web clipper settings. Don’t clip a huge volume of sites without checking. It makes it hard to repeat if a clip failed.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:
13 hours ago, vikensign said:

. To bad there is no way to sort notes by what type of clip/note they are..

Choose „Web-Clips“ from the filters menu „contains“ section to see only notes containing a web clip.

However, of course what that will not find is notes that used to have a clip in them and now do not. If only....