How do I roll back the version. This new version is TERRIBLE.

I love Evernote. I've used it for years.

It used to be so easy to create a new note. Now the directions are so obscure (Camera, what does that mean? Picture? Note with picture?). And I try to take an image of a receipt to generate a note. Evernote just spins. If the first version had been like this, I would have dumped it immediately.

THIS IS AWFUL.

How do I roll back?

Be aware that after installing Evernote, it can take a while before it is responsive and usable. I have this every time I use it on Android or Windows, with my 15k notes (and 40k in trash). The new v10 version is a lot slower (a lot!) in many steps than Evernote legacy 6.x on Windows. It is not unusable for me on Windows, though annoying.

• Like 1

Why the amount, or why not emptying the trash? Assuming you mean the latter. It's simple. Why not? First of all, I don't remember Evernote having an Empty trash option in legacy, second of all, emptying the trash would cost me focus/little energy. I'm very lazy in that way. Second of all, keeping it there can only help if I want to recover anything ever. 🙂

• Level 5

Hmmmm - can’t check any more, but I am sure there were options in legacy to empty the trash in general, as an option to selectively delete notes from the trash.

Practically these notes are just ballast. Trash is just another notebook, they are there, they can even be searched, which means they bloat everything. I would erase them from the trash, especially when claiming performance issues as in your other posting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, MvdH said:

Why the amount, or why not emptying the trash?

Both actually.  I view the trash as a safety net.  If I accidentally delete something, I can find it there.  If I accidentally delete something in the trash, it is gone. I was just curious. If I thought I may need them, I would move them to a notebook.  If not, or maybe not, I’d export them.  You may see better performance with 40k less notes in your account and you won’t hit the upper note ceiling as soon.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Practically these notes are just ballast. Trash is just another notebook, they are there, they can even be searched, which means they bloat everything.

Nope. Trash seems to be a notebook but is not searched with normal search operations. You have to navigate to the Trash to search within. I think it's not really ballast...

... but avoids to loose content and history. If a note is deleted from Trash, its history is deleted permanently.

Moreover, notes in Trash are write-protected - it's impossible to change things by accident 😉 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Sure, it is not in the regular search results. But if you go to the trash, you can search it.

What does this tell me ? "Trash" is just a notebook, it is just exempted from regular searches automatically. But it is still part of the search index. When a note is trashed (= moved to that special notebook), the search index will continue to hold that note. Only when reading it ("searching"), it will skip all data sets that point to the trashed notes. But before skipping, it still needs to read the index, all of it.

If there are 15k of active notes, and 40k of trashed, the search index is 4 times the size it needed to be. And as any search database, it becomes bulky and slow with growing size.

So there may be reasons to keep the trash for a while. But letting it grow without bonds IMHO is no good practice.

Trash notes probably still count against the 100K. Not a big deal when you only have a few dozen or hundreds of notes in Trash with only a few thousands of notes, but may come into play down the road with accounts that have tens of thousands of notes.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

But it is still part of the search index. When a note is trashed (= moved to that special notebook), the search index will continue to hold that note.

Sure? Other solution might be to remove trashed notes from the search index (and maybe hold a second index for the Trash). This would keep the normal ("in-use") cache as small and fast as possible and there is no need to skip found notes from normal result lists...