Auto Renewal practice is in violation of Maine State Law

Maine state law requires auto renewing subscriptions to give you 30-60 days notice and include a way to cancel in the notification.

I only received a message 12/2 (less than 30 days notice) of the auto renewal because it said they couldn't charge the card on file because it was expired. It did not include a link to cancel. I received the notice of the absurd price increase the same day. I absolutely did NOT want to renew, and figured I didn't have to do anything because it said "We want to make sure you can continue enjoying all the benefits of your Evernote subscription, so please update your billing information in order to keep your Evernote account active."  However at 9am this morning, I received an email from Evernote that the payment was processed, TO MY EXPIRED CREDIT CARD.  I immediately attempted to contact Evernote, but all the links to contact service go nowhere. There is no email address, form, or phone number for support. And as a previous poster noted, links to request a refund are only for those via itunes and google NOT through the website which is how I had purchased it. I contacted the credit card and they can't do anything until the charge is fully processed. (it is pending)

This is 100% illegal in the state of Maine.

• Level 5

Oh, the state of Maine … nice place, a lot of trees and fish, less people.

Let me ask a question, just out of curiosity: The AppStore sends me a reminder of upcoming subscriptions 4 weeks in advance. How much lead do you get in the State of Maine from Apple or Google ?

And another question: If you didn’t want to continue your subscription, why didn’t you simply cancel your subscription. Given a day up or down, there was ample time to do so.

• Like 1

Does the fact that the new owner is based in Italy make a difference to that legal requirement, even if it doesn't it's not as if they care about their customers anymore 

• Level 5
On 12/30/2023 at 11:17 AM, BillingDispute said:

Maine state law requires auto renewing subscriptions to give you 30-60 days notice and include a way to cancel in the notification.

I only received a message 12/2 (less than 30 days notice) of the auto renewal because it said they couldn't charge the card on file because it was expired. It did not include a link to cancel. I received the notice of the absurd price increase the same day. I absolutely did NOT want to renew, and figured I didn't have to do anything because it said "We want to make sure you can continue enjoying all the benefits of your Evernote subscription, so please update your billing information in order to keep your Evernote account active."  However at 9am this morning, I received an email from Evernote that the payment was processed, TO MY EXPIRED CREDIT CARD.  I immediately attempted to contact Evernote, but all the links to contact service go nowhere. There is no email address, form, or phone number for support. And as a previous poster noted, links to request a refund are only for those via itunes and google NOT through the website which is how I had purchased it. I contacted the credit card and they can't do anything until the charge is fully processed. (it is pending)

This is 100% illegal in the state of Maine.

Welcome to the forums. They are user-to-user, so no one here can help you. Suggest you report this to the Attorney General of Maine, with full documentation. Or just do what @gazumped said.

• Level 5

@keribeal Sometimes I am happy that as an ignorant non native speaker I didn't get the message you wanted to transmit. However I am pretty sure it was not worth the effort to ask ChatGPT if it can make some sense out of it for me.

• Evernote Expert
On 12/30/2023 at 4:17 PM, BillingDispute said:

at 9am this morning, I received an email from Evernote that the payment was processed, TO MY EXPIRED CREDIT CARD.

If that is the case then tell your card company and request a charge back/refund. The card company should not have processed a charge on an expired card.

• Like 1