Recherche de piles

Go to solution Solved by Débutant,

Merci, je vois bien sûr la liste des carnets sur le côté gauche, MAIS 

Lorsque je trouve une note via la recherche, le carnet dans le quel elle se trouve est clairement indiqué en haut de l’écran mais je ne vois nulle part dans quelle pile se trouve le carnet.

Dans la partie « NOTEBOOK » à gauche lorsque toutes les piles sont fermées, on ne voit pas apparaître celle qui contient la note trouvée. Il n’y a que lorsque toutes les piles sont déployées que l’on peut les parcourir et finir par trouver le carnet en surbrillance si non c’est impossible. Ce n’est vraiment pas très pratique.

Merci de me dire si il y a une autre solution.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Débutant said:

Thank you, I of course see the list of notebooks on the left side, BUT

When I find a note via search, the notebook it is in is clearly indicated at the top of the screen but I can't see anywhere which pile the notebook is in.

In the “NOTEBOOK” section on the left when all the stacks are closed, we do not see the one containing the found note appear. Only when all the piles are deployed can you go through them and end up finding the highlighted notebook, otherwise it is impossible. It's really not very practical.

Please tell me if there is another solution.

Hi. Can you explain a little more why you need the notebook stack?  If you need to see all the contents of a specific notebook forinstance you could use the Filter feature.  Choose 'located in' and use the notebook search box to find the notebook...

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi. Can you explain a little more why you need the notebook stack?  If you need to see all the contents of a specific notebook forinstance you could use the Filter feature.  Choose 'located in' and use the notebook search box to find the notebook...

The filters menu has the added advantage that, as far as I know, it is only search for a notebook that shows the stack that the notebook is in. This doesn't happen for example in the main notebook page.

image.png.fe0864d843e1912d6250a2c116d32697.png

So a search for the notebook would allow you to easily filter for that notebook or the stack. Obviously you can select the notebook from the note but this gives you the added ability to filter by the containing stack.

• Like 3

Voici pourquoi j’ai besoin de savoir dans quelle pile figure un carnet :

Lorsque j’ai une nouvelle note à classer. Je recherche dans les notes précédentes, une note de référence similaire à ma nouvelle note afin de la classer au même endroit que les autres notes comparables. Voilà pourquoi j’ai besoin de savoir dans quelle pile se trouve ma note de référence.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Débutant said:

Je renouvelle ma question qui n’a pas été résolue :  lorsque je trouve un note après une recherche, le carnet s’affiche en haut mais comment je peux savoir dans quelle pile est ce carnet ? 

Did we not already agree that when you view the note,  the notebook is already shown in the top line?

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Débutant said:

Je renouvelle ma question qui n’a pas été résolue :  lorsque je trouve un note après une recherche, le carnet s’affiche en haut mais comment je peux savoir dans quelle pile est ce carnet ?

I don't see a direct way to find out which stack a note is in other than to see which notebook it is in and then expand the stacks in the left-hand pane to see which stack has that notebook.  I have only used a couple of stacks so this hasn't been an issue for me.

Merci , j’ai organisé mon classement avec de très nombreuses piles et pour moi c’est très fastidieux de développer toutes les piles pour rechercher celle qui contient la note qui me sert de repère pour trouver la pile recherchée. J’espère que les prochaines versions apporteront une solution à mon problème 

merci 

• Level 5

Why do you need to be shown the stack ?

Any notebook can be in a stack, but only in one stack at any time. If you move a note to a notebook, it is automatically going to the stack in which that notebook is located. There is no free selection of a notebook and a stack. The lead argument is always the notebook - you can't send a note to a stack, but not into a notebook.

When moving, you choose the notebook - the stack is then decided automatically as well.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Why do you need to be shown the stack ?

Any notebook can be in a stack, but only in one stack at any time. If you move a note to a notebook, it is automatically going to the stack in which that notebook is located. There is no free selection of a notebook and a stack. The lead argument is always the notebook - you can't send a note to a stack, but not into a notebook.

When moving, you choose the notebook - the stack is then decided automatically as well.

Voici pourquoi j’ai besoin de savoir dans quelle pile figure un carnet :

j’ai organisé mon classement en regroupant tous les carnets d’un même sujet dans une pile 

Lorsque j’ai une nouvelle note à classer. Je recherche une note similaire pour trouver où je l’ai classée afin de classer ma nouvelle note dans la même pile. 

• Level 5

Hmmmm - a case of a special use case. These are usually not reflected in the app. The user interface would become very cluttered if any specific use case would find its way into a changed layout.

To make life easier for you, you could modify your notebook names. Say you have a stack for Personal notebooks, and one for Business, then you could call all notebooks in the Personal stack like "P notebook name", and those in the Business stack "B notebook name". This would automatically sort them as well. Or you put an icon in front of the notebook name (I use an icon for every notebook, but you could use a stack icon instead):

image.png.d7605171a5f54620dafb9894fbf157c6.png

But the better way would be to give up on using notebooks and stacks as your primary means of organization at all. You would become much more flexible and have less decisions to take if you started to use Tags instead.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052565633

Not intending to start a big tag vs naming discussion, but just for a slightly different perspective, there are a few of us around here who avoid tags.  For me, tags are a bit like cockroaches.  They multiply in the night; they get into everything, and they are difficult to control.  I have used tags, but only in very specific situations, not as a primary method to organize.  Maybe tags would work for you as Pink Elephant suggests, I do not want to discourage you  -  they seem to work for a lot of people!

But I would partially endorse @PinkElephant's recommendation about careful and intentional naming as an alternative to many stacks. I focus more on how I name notes than how I name notebooks.  I use a naming convention in which each note's name starts with a keyword, followed by a colon and then text.  I am very rigorous about those keywords.  I have two lists of keywords: one for my consulting practice and one for personal notes.  And I keep a note with those keywords list in my shortcuts so I can refer to the  list when I am fuzzy about the what the exact keyword is or which keyword would be best to use for a particular note.  Here is a sample of keywords from my personal list (my consulting list is a bit different):
Family:
Friends:
Financial:
Gadgets:
GTD:
Insurance:
Legal:
Maintenance:

etc.

It gets pretty easy to find notes this way because I can use the "switch to" shortcut (cntl-q on Windows) to enter the keyword followed by the colon and a list pops up.  I can get away with relatively few notebooks because, when I sort alphabetically, the keywords list them by subject.  

I still use a few stacks and I agree with you that it would be helpful if were a way to see when a note is in a stack and to have a link to get to the parent stack.

Vinnie

• Level 5

Hi Vinnie, you can keep a reference note with tags quite as easy.

If you use the same methods from the GTD thinking as for other tools, you make a "Tag Housekeeping Session" frequently. It was easier with legacy (that page with a tag overview was one of the last legacy tools I used), but can still be done with v10. I have roughly 250 tags, and that number keeps stable now since years.

EN is build to use tags, and skipping them takes away a whole set of possibilities. They are especially useful for workflows, because each tag can be managed independently from each other.

Thanks, Pink Elephant.  I used tags back in Legacy days but when I used to v10 I focused more on naming as my primary organizing method. 

Still, I found tags really helpful a couple of years ago when we moved from Michigan (brrr!) to Maryland, and we were house-hunting.  Tags were really helpful for comparing. I used web clipper to forward listings to Evernote, moved the listings to a House Search notebook, and then tagged each prospective house with important descriptors like: stand-alone or row house, number of bedrooms, the price range, and the neighborhood.  I could then easily make comparisons among different options which would have been really hard to do without tags.  And we wound up with a very nice house in a nice area!

And I just looked and I need to schedule a tag-housekeeping session!  I've got a whopping six tags in my account, and only one of them has any notes attached!

I will keep your advice in mind, though, and maybe think more actively about where tagging might be useful as I work in Evernote.

Thanks,

Vinnie

• Solution
23 hours ago, VincentC said:

Not intending to start a big tag vs naming discussion, but just for a slightly different perspective, there are a few of us around here who avoid tags.  For me, tags are a bit like cockroaches.  They multiply in the night; they get into everything, and they are difficult to control.  I have used tags, but only in very specific situations, not as a primary method to organize.  Maybe tags would work for you as Pink Elephant suggests, I do not want to discourage you  -  they seem to work for a lot of people!

But I would partially endorse @PinkElephant's recommendation about careful and intentional naming as an alternative to many stacks. I focus more on how I name notes than how I name notebooks.  I use a naming convention in which each note's name starts with a keyword, followed by a colon and then text.  I am very rigorous about those keywords.  I have two lists of keywords: one for my consulting practice and one for personal notes.  And I keep a note with those keywords list in my shortcuts so I can refer to the  list when I am fuzzy about the what the exact keyword is or which keyword would be best to use for a particular note.  Here is a sample of keywords from my personal list (my consulting list is a bit different):
Family:
Friends:
Financial:
Gadgets:
GTD:
Insurance:
Legal:
Maintenance:

etc.

It gets pretty easy to find notes this way because I can use the "switch to" shortcut (cntl-q on Windows) to enter the keyword followed by the colon and a list pops up.  I can get away with relatively few notebooks because, when I sort alphabetically, the keywords list them by subject.  

I still use a few stacks and I agree with you that it would be helpful if were a way to see when a note is in a stack and to have a link to get to the parent stack.

Vinnie

Merci à tous pour vos bons conseils, j’ai maintenant plusieurs solutions en attendant peut-être l’intégration de cette fonctionnalité dans une nouvelle version. A mois de choisir, je crois que je vais travailler sur le nomage. 
bon réveillon 2014.

• Like 3