• Evernote Expert

A quick search shows that this issue has been present since 2022. This year there were reports in July and another user reporting this week.

All to say that this probably merits a support ticket even though it will take weeks to get attention and probably get a response that the issue is already known.

It may even ot be given attention. The todo:true/false search syntax dates back to the early use of check boxes before checklists and subsequently tasks. Since checkboxes are not easily maintained in a note as a list it would seem, to me, that a means searching for checked/unchecked checklist items or tasks would be better enhancement.

@Ksullivan72 @Dave Green @agsteele

OK folks you are not going to believe this and I certainly need some people to verify that I'm not talking rubbish!

The checkboxes filter finds both checklists and checkboxes and seems to do OK at finding both recent and old (pre V10 so no checklists) notes. It seems to work for all three varieties:

image.png.67518465c46c153c2b915f59118a3447.png

In general, the search syntax version of the filter is to use contains: Thi shas only been introduced in V10. Unfortunately there is not a contains: for completed or uncompleted checklists/boxes. We only have

contains:enTodo

Which gives, as you would expect, the same number of results as the general checkboxes filter.

See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

So, I thought, given the general structure of the search syntax, what might an (undocumented) search string for checked and not checked look like. Both these work as you would expect!!!

contains:enTodoFalse
contains:enTodoTrue

So it appears that EN have updated the search syntax and not updated the documentation. Quelle surprise!

UPDATE: It appears that neither the filter or the contains: syntax works for recent checklists but does work for checkboxes.

• Thanks 4
On 12/2/2023 at 4:30 AM, Mike P said:
contains:enTodoFalse
contains:enTodoTrue

So it appears that EN have updated the search syntax and not updated the documentation. Quelle surprise!

UPDATE: It appears that neither the filter or the contains: syntax works for recent checklists but does work for checkboxes.

@Mike P I agree with your results.  This is working just as todo:false was working just before it stopped working.  Great to know.  Good work deducing the new syntax.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Ksullivan72 said:

Actually, spoke too soon. It still doesn't find unmarked checklist items!

Yes, that's what I noted in an update to my post shortly after I wrote it. I haven't been able to solve that one I'm afraid.

contains:lists

will find all lists - Evernote bullet, numbered and checklists plus any webclips which happen to contain a list. No way I can find to limit this to checklists, let alone checked or unchecked ones.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My search is not bringing up anything when I tried to locate notes with checkboxes (typically list of boxes).  I tried all the suggestions provided here, but nothing.  Filtering is not working either.  

It's not working in Mac, iOS, and Web versions.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The filter todo:false seems to work again (since today, 2024-02-22), but only when I add the checklist item via a keyboard shortcut (- []): suddenly, old notes appeared in my "todos and reminders" saved search filter.

See 

• Like 1

Can confirm it only works with (new) notes created on the macOS client (10.77.3); doesn't work with new notes created from the Windows client or iOS client.

So strange... thought it was a backend thing and v10 had a "unified" platform (so why these differences between clients...).

Seems to be related to how the checklist item is created: see my message 

4 minutes ago, Jun Hashimoto said:

In my case, the notes I made last summer appear with todo:false.

on which client and version did it work for you?

Seems I see a pattern.

1/ When I add a checklist item via the toolbar, it appears as follows in the enex.

Filter todo:false does NOT work.

<ul style="--en-todo:true;"><li>

2/ When I add a checklist item via a keyboard shortcut (using Keyboard Maestro inserting "- [ ] "), it appears as follows (notice the "--en-checked"):

Filter todo:false does work.

<ul style="--en-todo:true;"><li style="--en-checked:false;">

When using the Windows client and iOS client I did use the toolbar; on my mac I use the keyboard shortcut.

Crazy 🙄.

I'll add this info to the support ticket.

• Thanks 1