Very laggy after most recent update (29 Nov 2023)

Go to solution Solved by MattSM,

Hello,

I'm using EN on a Macbook Air (macOS 14.1.1).

After getting prompted just now to update, the scrolling feature in EN is now extremely laggy. I use a column layout (left, notebooks; middle, notes; right, note preview), and in any of the panes, when I want to scroll up or down using my trackpad, EN doesn't immediately respond.

I've just noticed there's a similar lag when clicking on "New" to create a new note or task: the drop-down menu only slowly fades into view (takes 5-10 seconds), and the same with right-clicking anywhere, to pull up the options menu.

If I do multiple rapid "scroll-ups", for example, it seems to accumulate my commands, and then it shoots to the top of the column. It's like the upgrade has removed any fine-motor, precision control of how users can scroll.

I've also seen that the "Backlinks" feature and the "Move Note" button within the notes have been removed, but that's not my main concern. (In the case of the "Move Note" button, it hasn't been removed, but it's become invisible — if I hover over where it used to be with my cursor, the function still exists.)

Anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT:

Actually, it's laggy, overall. Even when writing in a new note, the words I type don't appear immediately (like they do in this post right now, for example). I can finish typing a whole word before it starts to appear in the EN note. The overall responsiveness any keyboard actions/commands has been significantly eroded.

• Like 1

I have noticed this as well - using desktop on two different Windows 11 machines. 

The entire interface seems 'laggy' - the drop down to create a new note, scrolling through the left hand layout and typing within a note. 

It is borderline unusable. Thinking about trying the web...   

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Spenserdog said:

I have noticed this as well - using desktop on two different Windows 11 machines. 

The entire interface seems 'laggy' - the drop down to create a new note, scrolling through the left hand layout and typing within a note. 

It is borderline unusable. Thinking about trying the web...   

Thank you — then it's not just me!

@MattSM - what version of Evernote are you on? 10.67.2?

I'm leaving Evernote open and trying to avoid the update in case it affects me -- so I'm still on 10.65.5. I've seen that it's not impacting everyone though, but I've seen multiple different reports of the lagginess in the forums and on reddit.

Here are just a couple:

You could try downloading from the website and running that installation to see if that fixes it for you. (Mentioned in one of those threads.)

3 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

@MattSM - what version of Evernote are you on? 10.67.2?

I'm leaving Evernote open and trying to avoid the update in case it affects me -- so I'm still on 10.65.5. I've seen that it's not impacting everyone though, but I've seen multiple different reports of the lagginess in the forums and on reddit.

Here are just a couple:

You could try downloading from the website and running that installation to see if that fixes it for you. (Mentioned in one of those threads.)

Hello Boot17, thanks for the helpful links — I'll have a look at them shortly.

I'm running the most recent Evernote version for Mac (see image). I'm not sure I want to temporarily defect to the web version, as I find that even more user-unfriendly. At the moment, the only version of Evernote that's functioning in an acceptable way is what I have on my Android smartphone.

I'll raise this with Support via the chat function to see what's going on, but there's something like a 9-hour time difference. Will post back here with any news.

Cheers!

Screen_Capture_-_29_Nov__4_54_pm.png

• Level 5

Okay, please check the structure of the subforum.

From your release number you are using the Windows desktop client 10.67. But this is the iOS subforum, iPhone & iPad.

About the problem: Another user reported he could solve it by simply installing the desktop client again, over the existing install. Can’t tell myself, I am on the Mac, and on all 3 Macs the 10.67 client performs as usual, without any noticeable lagging.

Been using Evernote since 2009, first time posting in this forum.

Huge fan of the platform, but I'm having the same laggy typing issue as everyone here since the latest update. 

The only part of the app that runs smoothly is the top menu-bar (File, Edit, View, etc...) and the SIGN IN page when i've logged out. 

Bordering on un-usable at the moment. I submitted a ticket and will update if I hear back. 

M2 Mac on OSX 13.3

Running EN 10.67.2-mac-ddl-public (20231122160420)
Editor: v176.32.0
Service: v1.80.1

• Solution
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Okay, please check the structure of the subforum.

From your release number you are using the Windows desktop client 10.67. But this is the iOS subforum, iPhone & iPad.

About the problem: Another user reported he could solve it by simply installing the desktop client again, over the existing install. Can’t tell myself, I am on the Mac, and on all 3 Macs the 10.67 client performs as usual, without any noticeable lagging.

Thank you, PinkElephant.

I'll follow your advice on the forum thread regarding laggy EN on Windows (AppCleaner, Uninstall, Re-download), and see if it works. Will report back here via edit of this comment.

EDIT:

Thanks again — I had to reapply my personal settings/views/sort options, but other than that, it worked a charm. Steps I took:

> Downloaded AppCleaner and used that to uninstall Evernote.

> Shut down Mac completely.

> Restarted Mac; went to EN website and re-downloaded/reinstalled latest EN

>> Keyboard and trackpad reactivity are now back to normal 🎉

I'm marking @Boot17's answer above as the solution for this thread specifically, but the original suggestion in the link provided is from @PinkElephant. Thank you both.

• 2 weeks later...
在 2023/11/29 在 PM1點22分, MattSM說:

> Downloaded AppCleaner and used that to uninstall Evernote.

> Shut down Mac completely.

> Restarted Mac; went to EN website and re-downloaded/reinstalled latest EN

>> Keyboard and trackpad reactivity are now back to normal 🎉

The use of AppCleaner was key. Simply reinstalling it did not resolve this issue for me. But after I used AppCleaner to uninstall, then re-installed, the lagginess is now gone. 

Ventura 13.4, Evernote version 10.67.4

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I was facing the same problem with Evernote interface being extremely slow, I was able to solve this by enabling Hardware Acceleration.

I am using the latest version of Evernote on Mac OS 14.2

Hope this helps ...

Cheers !!!

Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 7.18.27 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. Using version 10.70.2 on Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 on a 2018 Mac Mini. Very sluggish even when typing in a text only note. About a 1/5 second delay in typing, which makes this very unusable. I've tried all of the suggestions above about clean installs, and nothing has helped. There is no hardware acceleration toggle available in this latest update. 

On a Macbook Pro 13" 2020

MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1

After the update (10.68.3) Evernote seems sluggish when switching notes and sometimes when navigating the UI in general.  Sometimes when I copy/paste Evernote will freeze for 15 secs or so, very frustrating.  

10.68.3-mac-mas-public (20231218124244)
Editor: v176.42.0
Service: v1.83.1

• Level 5

Can’t directly compare with a similar Mac Mini, but it runs fine on my MacBook Pro 15“ 2018 (i7).

Nothing done but keeping a clean install. The last cleaning I did was more than a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

GPU.thumb.jpg.08cef894625f28de6b64657d41032ed2.jpgWas having a similar issue on a Windows Laptop. I remedied with the steps listed below.

For anyone reading this on a windows machine with a dedicated graphics card (mobile or desktop) - try this:

Click or press windows key > type graphics settings > under choose an app to set preference click browse > put this into your navigation bar without quotes "C:\Users\%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote"double click Evernote.exe > click Options > Choose your GPU (high performance) as default

Completely exit Evernote and restart it.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2024 at 11:56 PM, p_bio said:

I'm having the same issue. Using version 10.70.2 on Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 on a 2018 Mac Mini. Very sluggish even when typing in a text only note. About a 1/5 second delay in typing, which makes this very unusable. I've tried all of the suggestions above about clean installs, and nothing has helped. There is no hardware acceleration toggle available in this latest update. 

I have the same setup as you and I have had the same issues since November last year.  I initially contacted support who rebuilt the database structure for me, however, it can't be the issue because EN runs fine on my macbook (2016) and my new windows surface tablet.

IMO it's def a hardware incompatibility, but who knows how it's gonna be fixed. EN have had months to fix it and instead keep releasing updates which do not address the issue.

I've spent three days trying to find an alternative platform but I'm so invested into EN it's gonna be almost impossible. I'm spending over USD300 per year with these guys and I'm so frustrated.

• Level 5

This thread is in the iOS section - which was a mistake, because it was started for a MacBook Air. But OK, close.

Now we have "happy posting" about Windows systems here. NOK - not even close.

Please stop hijacking this thread. If you have an issue, open a new one, in the Windows subform. Post your observation, your system  and your clients version.