Buggy and slow on intel Mac

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Ever since the latest update, EN on my 2014 iMac has become virtually unusable; it's jittery, slow & scrolling takes an age. It works perfectly fine on my M1 MacBook Air and works just the same (never great) on my iPad. I have tried force-quitting the app, re-starting my Mac, but nothing seems to work. Anyone else?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
  • Solution
3 hours ago, Jarod Weaver said:

Anyone else?

There are a few threads here on this.  Current thinking is: try a clean (re-)install / contact Support and wait...

1 - Exit Evernote / delete database from device
2 - Uninstall app with Appcleaner (Mac) or Revo Uninstaller Free (Win)
3 - Power device off / allow 10 seconds / power back on
4 - Download latest Evernote from Evernote.com
5 - Reinstall.  It will take a little while for the app to be fully operational

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Greg1234567890 said:

Do you know which of the steps worked for you? I've tried some of them and still experiencing significant lag.

If you're referring to the 5-step process above,  you're supposed to use all of them.  Plus check Settings to make sure that Hardware Acceleration is ON.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also experiencing significant choppiness when scrolling on an Intel i5 macbook (that is fast with all other apps).  Tried deleting local data, reinstalling etc and still very slow.  Parallel reddit thread here:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

If this doesn’t do the job, the best advise is to uninstall the app using AppCleaner (!). Then restart the Mac, download fresh from the EN website, install and log in.

Let the app run in the background quite a while. It will download a fresh copy from the server.

Tried everything mentioned here but EN on Intel Mac is still slow since 4 weeks and numerous updates.

When clicking the green "create new"  the sub menu that lets you choose betwwen "new note" and "new task" takes 6 senconds to dim up and be klickable for example.

I still have EN Legacy on another Mac that is 7 years older than my current mac with EN10 and this methusalix has a way better reaction to clicks and inputs.

Latest version does not seem to have "HW Accelerstion" in setings anymore. I checked in previous version and had it on.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, gadget said:

I still have EN Legacy on another Mac that is 7 years older than my current mac with EN10 and this methusalix has a way better reaction to clicks and inputs.

There are comments somewhere to the effect that RTE and sync improvements now mean that v10 notes are coded differently to Legacy notes,  and anything stored in Legacy now needs a translation before it can be shown in the other.  Your continued reliance on Legacy might be the cause of your delays.

• Like 1