50 note uploads total? or per month?

Got a nice little notification from Evernote today that I (on the free versino) only get 50 notes.  It did not state whether that was 50 notes total or 50 notes per month (it used to be notes per month, but there's no way I've created 50 notes over the last 4 weeks, and given how terribly desperate Evernote is to get everyone paying, I can see them switching this to '50 notes total'). 

Can anyone here clarify? 

• Evernote Expert

This is a trial affecting only some Free users. The limit for those who are part of the trial is one notebook and 50 notes in total. 

If you already have more than 50 notes then you will be able to retain all your notes and edit, merge, delete but not create any more.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, psychodougie said:

First it was reducing the number of devices, then it was reducing note size, and finally it's just pay or leave. 

(FWIW if there was a one off fee, with upgrade costs for new versions, I would love to sign up. But yet another subscription? Ugh)

Evernote has one product.  It is just not sustainable to give it away for free to millions and expect the far smaller number of subscribers to cover the cost.  I hate subscriptions as well, but it does force me to evaluate which ones to pay for and which to drop.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@psychodougie A service that has permanent cost needs permanent income. That’s the simple truth.

BTW note sizes have not been changed in eons. Upload limit neither, nor the number of devices on the Free plan. The only change was that the web client is counted as a device (2020), and the device limit is enforced since.

But as always, everything looks brighter in the rearview mirror …

• Like 2

Thanks for your feedback. And you're both right of course. 

@PinkElephant I guess I have a long memory (for some things). But I hadn't hit the size limit ever until recently. Not sure when that changed. 

And @s2sailor when I downloaded it was billed (no pun intended) as a free service. Hundreds per year, every year, is a big difference from that. 

I just have to work out if I can get my workflow back without it or pay up. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Bev Adams said:

I believe a huge number of users will bail and move to another system. Where can we write to voice our complaints?

I believe that shedding accounts that don’t provide any income is part of the intended outcome.  Sure, they would like for people to convert over to a paid plan, but if they don’t and instead leave, that is also in the win column.

In the mobile apps there is a send feedback option.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

A user dug in into using the Free account forever, swearing that he would pay up one day if his financial situation improves / the app has no more bugs / this or that feature (think about something very remote and obscure now) will be implemented, is no perspective. This sort of user is an obligation, a debt, and hundreds of them are a milstone.

Sure they will feel incentived to leave. And sure EN will be a better (and economically sounder) place, even if 100% would go for good.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Anoma said:

Is it still possible to import more than 50 notes and notebooks?
The new policy allow you to have FIFTY notes and ONE notebook on the server, but my opinion is that the data should be available offline without restrictions.

https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-free-note-limits

If you already exceed the new limits then you will be restrito those notes. There is offline storage.

I just feel like if you want to bring people online, bring the price point down and bank on the volume. 7.99 a month is equal to a streaming subscription, therefore I don't see the value being equal to something you would stream for hours vs a note taking app which features don't far outweigh other free products. I am not saying it may not be worth it for power users, but those users are probably already subbed for the premium features anyway. I think a lot of users will leave where if they had started the upgrade plans at 2.99 per month, they could have brought a much higher volume of users in. Also, the 50 note limit isn't stated anywhere on the plan features for free, its kind of shady and nasty to side-swipe people like that. I'm not someone who follows blogs or cares that much, but I don't remember seeing a warning about this change, and its not posted on the site under the plans which makes me trust them less.

I just think these days with subs increasing and forcing people to make hard choices about what they actually need and can pay for, the price point is outside the scope of what most people could afford vs free, even if the product is better. At 1.99 or 2.99 a month, I wouldn't have thought twice to keep it since I use it quite often, but 7.99 definitely pushed me away. I'd rather use a free app and keep my streaming sub or add a streaming sub at that price point.