Unable to open PDF recently uploaded - shows "Untitled attachment"

Hi all, 

As the topic states - currently experiencing some trouble to open some PDFs recently uploaded and it keeps giving the message the files are "untitled attachment". Also tried to save it to desktop but wouldn't even allow me to save anything ... 

Was wondering if there's a solution ? Thanks. 

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 2.29.46 PM.png

• Level 5

Sometimes you need to wait until uploaded attachments have been downloaded again. Sounds contradictory, but the server performs some actions on the upload, and will update the file with additional information.

So wait a little and check again. What sometimes works for me is to leave the note briefly, then come back and try again. In my experience often the file is then available and will show.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Sometimes you need to wait until uploaded attachments have been downloaded again. Sounds contradictory, but the server performs some actions on the upload, and will update the file with additional information.

So wait a little and check again. What sometimes works for me is to leave the note briefly, then come back and try again. In my experience often the file is then available and will show.

Hi - thanks for the response. The uploads were done about a month ago now, it's just strange that it was downloadable or viewable a few weeks back, but now it's giving this error of "untitled attachment"... Is this normal ? 

Nope - no other irregularity I can see. Majority of the much older uploads don't have any "untitled attachment" error, only 3 of the more recent uploads that are currently having this issue. I've also tried and quit and reopen Evernote on my computer and iPhone to see, both device on multiple occasions are preventing me from opening/download the error PDFs.

• Level 5

In all honesty, my approach to the display of attachments these days is "stuff happens." As in "Oh, that stuff happened again." It definitely can happen on long-existing attachments. I also can usually just leave a note with a non-displayed attachment for a second then come back to it to find it displayed. Happens mainly on my Android phone.

19 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It definitely can happen on long-existing attachments

How could that be? The notes / attachments should be stored securely on the servers, irrelevant of how long they have been lying around. Evernote's motto used to be 'Never forget anything'. Bit rot or similar must not happen with professional storage services.

In Legacy this has not occurred to me once - with 20K+ notes, mostly notes with PDF attachments, since ca. 2008. 

First time I ever saw this on multiple notes was with V10, so I tend to think there are issues with V10 that cause the 'untitled attachments'.

I instantly moved some really important stuff out of Evernote, which somewhat defies the purpose of an Evernote subscription.

• Evernote Expert

You can try exporting the note as an ENEX file. Then import as a new note. That has been reported to be successful on a number of occasions. If successful delete the original copy of the note.

4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

You can try exporting the note as an ENEX file. Then import as a new note. That has been reported to be successful on a number of occasions. If successful delete the original copy of the note.

Hi Thanks - but please provide guidance as to how to export the file ? I cannot even drag it on to my desktop nor download. 

• Level 5
4 hours ago, Feitz said:
23 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

It definitely can happen on long-existing attachments

How could that be? The notes / attachments should be stored securely on the servers, irrelevant of how long they have been lying around. Evernote's motto used to be 'Never forget anything'. Bit rot or similar must not happen with professional storage services.

In Legacy this has not occurred to me once - with 20K+ notes, mostly notes with PDF attachments, since ca. 2008. 

First time I ever saw this on multiple notes was with V10, so I tend to think there are issues with V10 that cause the 'untitled attachments'.

I instantly moved some really important stuff out of Evernote, which somewhat defies the purpose of an Evernote subscription.

TBC, I have not experience the permanent loss of any attachment, only the inability to access it temporarily. That is bad enough, but I don't think I'd classify it as "bit rot."

Trying to contact Evernote customer service for support, but it seems so difficult to find the proper link to either send them an enquiry or find their contact info ... 

Starting to feel that I need to find an alternative going forward..

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, Pete2023 said:

Hi Thanks - but please provide guidance as to how to export the file ? I cannot even drag it on to my desktop nor download. 

You don't export the file. Export the whole note. Then reimport the note. It has worked for me once or twice in the past. Thankfully I'm not affected at the moment.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, agsteele said:

You don't export the file. Export the whole note. Then reimport the note. It has worked for me once or twice in the past. Thankfully I'm not affected at the moment.

Thanks - tried that and it didn't resolve the issue. Will try and contact customer service at this point. 

I’m having the same issue.  First started with previously imported files showing as “Untitled Attachment”.

When I tried replacing with new copy, I now get Unable to upload error

I have Evernote Personal account.

Tried on desktop and web version on my iPad.  It’s not a new office IT setting issue as this is happening at home.   Updated IPad software and rebooted.  Still not working.

• Level 5

If the files are corrupted, the only hope IMHO is that there may be an older version stored in note history.

If it’s not, and on exporting the files they show corrupted ad well, the file is likely unusable.

But for the theory of corruption happening when edited outside of EN on the iPad, I can only tell that I could not reproduce any corruption.

26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If the files are corrupted, the only hope IMHO is that there may be an older version stored in note history.

If it’s not, and on exporting the files they show corrupted ad well, the file is likely unusable.

But for the theory of corruption happening when edited outside of EN on the iPad, I can only tell that I could not reproduce any corruption.

Anyway to confirm if the exported document is corrupted ? I managed to download the "untitled attachment" file onto my desktop but still unable to open it, does it mean the file is corrupted ?