Is it possible to archive a notebook?

Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

I have several notebooks that I don't actively use and would like to archive them for potential future use.  Is there any way to do this?  Individually archiving each notes with a notebook is nota viable alternative.

TNX

• Solution

You can export an entire notebook as an enex file and then import it again if needed in the future. You don't say what versio nof EN you are using but in the desktop versions yo can either right click the notebook in the sidebar or use the three dots menu in the main notebook screen.

• Level 5

I created a notebook called X-Archive, which sits at the end of my list of notebooks, and can be a repository for notes I'm note planning to update or consult often, but who knows, I might sometime. (Notes, not notebooks--but it could be a stack made of no-longer-active notebooks.) It's still there, but searches can be configured to exclude it.

As @Dave-in-Decatur points out, you can already do this.  Here is a clip showing archives I set up in my account - 2 stacks and one plain folder.

image.png.69e1a7427c2b7703ed53c63b824841e4.png

Dave uses the prefix X- to get the archive to the bottom of the notebook list; I use z___.   

Content in these archives will still show up in search, though -- not a problem for me -- unless you do something when searching to exclude this content.  

Unless we're missing something about what you're trying to accomplish?

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can create an Archive Stack as described.

You can move notebooks in and out of this Stack.

You can exclude such a stack from searches by adding this to a search command:

-stack:mystackname

This will work both in actual and saved searches.

• Like 1

Seems if one exports a notebook, then attempts to bring it back for some reason, one might bump up against monthly limits (using personal version).  Is there a way/method to offline and then bring back without using the monthly limits?  I would like to archive content (to speed up searches hopefully with more than 20k notes and growing --- at some point I fear I will reach a limit, not in my Evernote workspace, then disk space).