Comments in Notes

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Nik Mac said:

Good afternoon

Is there a work around to adding comments to notes? I am writing, there are parts that are not in english, I would like to have the translation in the comments. 

Hi.  Please imagine I'm 7 years old.  What are you doing and why is there an issue?...

I'm writing a short story. There are parts of the story where the characters speak in Haitian creole or French. I would like to highlight phrases that are in Haitian/French and with the comments have the English translation. I don't want the translation/comment to be visible as part the note. I hope that's clearer. 

Thanks,  Nik

• Level 5

I get the idea, but EN is a note taking tool. You want an elaborate authoring / formatting function.

EN has always refrained from adding such stuff to their app. It would be the end of a lean note editor, and the start of the next bloatware app.

If you want hidden comments, you can use MS Word, Libre Office or Pages, just to name a few. If you want better authoring support, you should go with authoring apps like Scrivener or Ulysses. You can still use EN to collect your ideas, but starting with the storyboard, authoring tools simply offer the better environment.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
22 hours ago, Nik Mac said:

I'm writing a short story. There are parts of the story where the characters speak in Haitian creole or French. I would like to highlight phrases that are in Haitian/French and with the comments have the English translation. I don't want the translation/comment to be visible as part the note. I hope that's clearer. 

Thanks,  Nik

Let me add that, in all honesty, Evernote is not really designed for writing entire works, not even a short story. You're already running into one of its limitations. You're better off using a word processor, or much better yet a professional writers' tool such as Scrivener.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Don't know how practical it would be,  but how about just creating a new note with the translation and then either adding the link to your main document as a link or creating a very short visible text so it looks like thisTr

Edit: was trying to be clever and show “créer une nouvelle note avec la traduction" as the link,  but I just got sabotaged by this forum!  <_<  The idea should work with separate notes though...

A hack, if it is a short phrase to show, would be to select the foreign text, choose to make a link (⌘+K on Mac), and then use

t:"the short english version"

as the link content.  When you mouse over the foreign phrase, you get the English in a limited display.

As I said, a hack and the other suggestions (use a separate page and use a different tool) are more robust.

• Like 2