Evernote for Outlook add-in reports "Add-in error"

Last week (possibly after I cleared my browser cache), the Evernote for Outlook add-in began report "Add-in Error  Somthing went wrong and we couldn't start this add-in.  Please try again or contact your system administrator.

I reported this to Evernote support and 34 minutes later received a (canned) repsonse that they had "investigated this thoroughly" and couldn't reproduce it.  They closed the ticket without resolution.

I noticed on Reddit that some others are have this issue.  Anyone on the forum seeing this?  Is anyone on the forum NOT having issues with the add-in?

Thanks,

Tracy

EvernoteAdd-inerror.jpg.639b310cebb2e1946d59bb42446c4e5e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I believe that Microsoft made changes so now you wait for whatever response is possible.

I suspect it will be some time, if ever, that the Outlook add-on will be updated.

Personal view. No inside information.

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad that Evernote (non)Support ignores issues like this.  SmartFiling is another thing that hasn't worked for 10 months now (at least not for me).  Evernote marks every support request about that "Closed" and indicates that it works fine.  With their outrageous price increase last year, I'm looking for a more cost-effective solution that doesn't include Evernote.

I understand that something may have changed on Microsoft's side but the responsibility to update software to be compatible rests in Evernote's hand, not Microsoft.  Evernote should be working on this incompatibility, not ignoring it.

Emailing to my account does work but that's a multistep process to file appropriately, instead of the efficient way that was possible previously.

The important part of this issue is that Evernote's response to every reported problem that I've submitted is either "It works" or "We can't reproduce it".  There was a time when Evernote support was responsive and problems got fixed.  Now, they're responsive but don't attempt to correct problems with their software.  Instead we keep getting minor feature additions while major features no longer work.

• Like 1

I'm getting the same error. A response from an Evernote staff member would be much appreciated. It would serve to let us know that Evernote's development team is aware of the issue at least. Ideally, they could provide their initial assement of the issue and tentative plans to resolve it. 

Integration with Outlook and Gmail is a big reason I continue to use Evernote. Losing this would push me to search for alternatives.

For what it's worth, I just checked, and the add in for Outlook is currently working on my Win 11 laptop with Outlook from Office 365.  

(I had to check because I stopped using the add-in some time ago.  I always found it flaky and eventually figured out, that for me, either forwarding an email to my Evernote email address or saving an attachment to my Evernote import folder was just as efficient.  Mostly the problems I've had with the add-in involved the add-in not loading correctly or Outlook complaining about something about it and disabling it.)

Vinnie

• 3 weeks later...

I faced the same problem working on safari and add-in isn’t working on the iOS apps.

that´s a real drama as it mean filing to Evernote no longer possible from Outlook what crashes the whole workflow.

that means a real thread that I and others will leave Evernote 

On 1/9/2024 at 11:51 PM, gigon said:

I faced the same problem working on safari and add-in isn’t working on the iOS apps.

that´s a real drama as it mean filing to Evernote no longer possible from Outlook what crashes the whole workflow.

that means a real thread that I and others will leave Evernote 

Hi

I have the same problem.

As a long-term user of Evernote (going back to its very early days) I find its current trajectory problematic consequently I have been toying with other products - either as a direct replacement or additional software to re-automate my workflow. I've not found a satisfactory solution to date, but when one shows itself, I'll be off I think.

The addin for GMAIL works but it is so slow it not worth using. Similarly with the addin for iOS outlook.

Peter

Same problem for me - just started when I upgraded to the new version of Outlook (which my company mandated). Very frustrating, because it was the only saving grace when the web clipper stopped working with Gmail. 

Any workarounds? I guess just forwarding the email to evernote, rather than clipping. Yuck.

Anyone know if Notion has an Outlook add-in?

E

EricBen, I'm curious, why yuck?  I use email forwarding from Outlook multiple times each day and it meets my needs just fine.  On the other hand, the Outlook add-in doesn't work as well for me.  Somehow, while leaving outlook and arriving in Evernote, all the formatting is lost, so what I get in Evernote is a pile of words with no paragraph spacing, blank lines, etc.  Forwarding meets my needs so I haven't spent any time trying to figure out why the formatting is gone.

Vinnie

@VincentC, the primary reason I feel the Outlook add-in was a better solution (back when it worked) was that it was a one step process to save to Evernote and file in the appropriate folder.  Many times, the "Smart-filing" picked the appropriate folder automatically based on previous notes saved.  Initially, Smart-filing stopped working altogether making the add-in much less useful but still, it was possible to select a folder while saving.  On the other hand, forwarding the message to Evernote via email requires multiple steps.  Several steps to forward as an attachment and enter the email address, then open evernote and navigate to the folder receiving emailed messages and then individually selecting messages and moving them to the appropriate folder.  That's just a lot more effort (particularly back when Smart-filing worked).

@tracy@thehayfords.org,  Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your perspective.  I understand the improved efficiency.  For me, "smart filing", whether with the Outlook add-in or with web clipper, has never been very smart, so I learned the hard way to send everything to my default inbox and move the note from there.  Only takes a second using the shortcut and I go through the inbox notes and move them when I have a few minutes for low brain-power activities - like during numerous boring Zoom sessions!

I thought I might set up some kind of macro to take care of the repetitive step to complete the forward, but I decided to turn around and exit that rabbit hole when it started to become its own major project.  I bet such a think would be child's play for one of the many technical wizards here, but not me!

Vinnie

• 1 month later...

Since Evernote clearly likes to raise prices while failing to keep up with software updates, I can see why it's literally impossible to talk to anyone from there since there's no phone number (and what can only be described as an impotent response to inquiries). Archiving work emails to Evernote is an enormous part of my daily workflow. If they can't maintain that simple task, I'm moving on. Anyone have recommendations for other similar products that actually function? Evernote should be issuing pro-rated refunds for the lost time of functionality from their failure.

• 3 weeks later...