Business Card Scan

5 hours ago, Glotraveller said:

It's only in the last few days that I realise I cannot scan name cards. I can take a photo, i can choose scan as buinsess cards and then - NADA - it freezes. Is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced this?

Same issue

• Level 5

Just gave it a try myself.

On my iPhone it took nearly a minute from saving from the camera until the card appeared in the note.

The note was created right away, but the picture and extracted data didn’t show quickly.

There are more deficiencies, like it still doesn’t work properly with the iPhone camera system, and it gets the extracted phone number wrong.

When I try to correct it manually, it won’t accept the full number. It seems the phone number has a maximum digit count, which is too short for the business card I am scanning. When I add one missing number at the beginning, it erases the last number at the end, without a warning.

So in general it may be technically working, but it is practically unusable.

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17.1, EN iOS 10.58.1

• Like 1

I have the same issue with iPad mini and Android in Japanese language since a few days ago.
I had a contact to the support and have got a reply that the engineers notify the issue.
Hope it be solved soon. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

This may be a solution, but in general its better to first scan a card, selecting BC as picture type.

This creates a BC note. It holds a special element that contains the BC data. After the note was created, you can edit this element, modifying data that was picked up from the BC, and adding more information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 12:19 AM, agsteele said:

Of course. Just type the details into a blank note.

"Can you enter images directly?"
"Of course, you can draw them."

The business card feature was working well till some months ago. What is the advantage of hand copying a business card into a note?

This is a bug, and they are not fixing it. I am sure that many people out there are using the business card scan, since not many other note apps are allowing to do so. And it is no longer working.

• Evernote Expert

If you want an image of the card then Ian take a photo. But I was answering another contributor. 

I'm not sure that business card scanning is much use where's I live. Few people I know use them, receive them or give them out. Perhaps they are going out of favour.

I am using Evernote 10.6.1 on an iPhone 14 Pro running iOS 17.1.1.

I have the same freezing issue as Glotraveller when trying to Auto Scan a business card. It freezes while trying to take the scan, I can’t use any buttons or the menu, though the camera screen stays live.

I have additional issues with the Business Card Scan, which is one of my favorite features of Evernote:

1. The auto mode is really finicky and sometimes can find the card but often can’t. It used to work a lot better, almost too fast sometimes. 

2. The camera won’t focus on the card unless I’m a foot or more back, so I have to shoot the card plus an extra 2 square feet of the surface and crop it manually.

3. When I try to crop the photo manually before saving to a note, the upper right and left “handles” on the crop tool don’t respond well to my touch and sometimes don’t even work.

All of these compound to make the scan business card features pretty much out of commission. This is not a new issue, but probably goes back a year. 

On 11/19/2023 at 11:54 AM, PinkElephant said:

This may be a solution, but in general its better to first scan a card, selecting BC as picture type.

This creates a BC note. It holds a special element that contains the BC data. After the note was created, you can edit this element, modifying data that was picked up from the BC, and adding more information.

That doesn't work either. When I try to save the picture as BC, it freezes.
3 weeks ago, I found out that the BC scan does not work. Last week the function was restored at least on Android, ( still it didn't work on iPad) however, today I found that it doesn't work on Android again.

• Level 5*

I have a Galaxy Tab 7 on Android EN 10.61 which already has some issues with the app - if I take a picture of a BC (had to search around a bit to find an actual card) I tap on the image and get an option to save it as photo / document (colour or b&w) / Post-it / BC.  If I choose the BC option and then save,  everything hangs - that doesn't seem to occur on the other options - ymmv. 

• Like 1