Sub-folders of folders ?

Hi! Sorry I wanted to create my topic in the "Answers/Solutions" forum but it seems I can't.

I'm slowly moving certain of my notes from "Notes" on MacOs to Evernote (desktop version).

However, even If I see how we can create a "Folder", I also discover "Stack".

But neither of them allow me to create a Sub-Folder in it.

I have a screenshot if it's not clear but let's say I want to do this :

Stack : To sell / To buy

Folder 1 : To Sell

Folder 2 : To Buy

I would like to create in "Folder1" those sub-folders : Vinyls / Casette / Cd's / DVD / Books

And then in each of those I would have one or several "Notes".

Is it possible ?

Thanks

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Tolson777 said:

I would like to create in "Folder1" those sub-folders : Vinyls / Casette / Cd's / DVD / Books

And then in each of those I would have one or several "Notes".

Is it possible ?

No.  There has been a lot of discussion about this over the years.  The recommended way is to use tags and subtags instead.

Ok thanks for the answer and I'll try to manage with this.

If there has been a lot of discussion about this it's probably because a lot of other people asked it ? Do you have any idea of why it has not been implemented yet ? thanks

• Level 5*

The original Evernote team had very strong feelings that tags were the way to go and allowed for nested tags to mimic folder behavior.  That said some still preferred traditional folders.  Evernote added stacks that act as a container for notebooks but that was as far as they took it.  V10 was a complete rewrite.  I think if sub-notebooks were to be added, that would have been the time, and they weren’t so I think that decision has been made.

• Level 5*

This is like sports teams - you're either a hierarchy fan,  or a tags fan;  but given that there's no mechanism for anything other than stacks, notebooks and tags,  I think the best option is to find ways to use what is available. 

I've been able to 'extend' the existing flexibility a little by using note links and titles - I don't (so far) use stacks for organisation,  and I use tags as a last resort.  My system is to use a notebook for every contact and for any significant actions;  and to include a ToC 'parent' note in each one with links to the main body of notes.  So my parent note with the main notebook,  plus any related action notebooks (indexed from the 'parent') represent another level or two in the admin.  There are crossovers,  obviously - situations where more than one place exists for a simgle note;  but that's where my tags come in!

It may sound a bit chaotic,  but it suits the way I work.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Tolson777 said:

However, even If I see how we can create a "Folder"

Evernote has no support for Folders    
For organization, there’s two fields in the Note record: Notebooks, Tags

with Tags being the primary organization tool

• 6 months later...

Just paid for a subscription and didn't realize this wasn't an option to create nested folders. This app is officially useless to me. I wish I could use it but I need nested folders / notebooks. Using tags are not an option for my sorting method. I need to request a refund. :(

• Level 5*
On 4/24/2024 at 10:45 PM, JesseTron said:

I need to request a refund.

Hi.  

The Forums are mainly user-supported, so we can't help much with passwords or payments and refunds apart from suggesting you contact Support. Both subscribers and non-subscribers can contact Support through https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new - use the issue type "Account" - or go via Settings in the mobile app.

More here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/21400396397587 

On 4/24/2024 at 11:45 PM, JesseTron said:

Just paid for a subscription and didn't realize this wasn't an option to create nested folders. This app is officially useless to me. I wish I could use it but I need nested folders / notebooks. Using tags are not an option for my sorting method. I need to request a refund. :(

I think you have 60 days to request a refund.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:18 AM, DTLow said:

with Tags being the primary organization tool

then they better up their game with a proper tag management. Legacy was bad in that respect but in V10 this is completely lacking.